Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
Castlerock

Fall/Winter useage

Plan on using our camper on and off this Fall and Winter. Its on our property on a slab and have power and water. Wondering about leaving the slide out all Winter? I know I need to winterize.
thanks in advance
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
Javi

Personally, I'd close it between trips..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Plan on using our camper on and off this Fall and Winter. Its on our property on a slab and have power and water. Wondering about leaving the slide out all Winter? I know I need to winterize.
thanks in advance
If you live in an area where there's even a chance of snow, close it up. While the slides are sealed pretty well, I don't think it is a good idea to have snow or ice accumulate on the top of the slide and then lay there for any length of time. If you have toppers, it's even worse because the weight of the snow can damage the fabric.

Since you say you know you need to winterize, it sounds like you live where things do freeze. Close it up when not in use.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Good advice above: If you think about it, any snow/ice that accumulates on the slide top will effectively stop you from being able to open/close the slide until it melts. Snow on the slide will melt as you heat the trailer interior, causing ice to form when the interior cools. That will set up a potential for water to seep into the slide seals, freeze and potentially cause leaks. Add that to any future trailer warming and more ice formations and you're setting up a problem that you won't be able to fix until it gets warm enough to melt everything and dry it out.

I'd close the slides at the end of every use to prevent future problems before they happen.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
kfxgreenie

We're going to get a small taste of winter here this weekend in the Driftless Region. What model RV do you have, and do you have the underbelly insulated sealed around the RV if you plan to use it this winter? My guess is the property is in Wisconsin somewhere Near Richland Center, possibly on a Castle Rock Lake Lot?
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
Castlerock

Yes, Live in RC. Land is Adams County 6 mi. from the lake.2012 Cougar 276RLS. And yes the Polar Pkg. I'll probably just put the slide in after hunting season and leave it until Spring. I can use it still with the slide in
. Doubt the wife will venture up with me to stay overnight this Winter. LOL
Thanks all for the good information!!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Castlerock

going to be cool...Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
mtofell

Leaves on top of the slide can be a real pain as well. I closed my slide on some once and am still picking small pieces out and listening to the "rustle".
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:21 AM   #9
Tinner12002

We had a camper on a lot at a campground year round for 3 yrs and we always, as part of the winterization, cleaned off the top of the slides and ran them in. For us it was just one less thing to have to worry about.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter