Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill

Engineer’s daughter seeks Montana blueprints

My wife is finally getting hands-on with our Montana’s internals along with me. I asked her to help me with my winterizing research and procedure and she asked for a blueprint of the whole rig. Texas daughter of an engineer, she is. She wants mechanical, plumbing, propane, electrical — everything. Does any such thing exist?
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
My wife is finally getting hands-on with our Montana’s internals along with me. I asked her to help me with my winterizing research and procedure and she asked for a blueprint of the whole rig. Texas daughter of an engineer, she is. She wants mechanical, plumbing, propane, electrical — everything. Does any such thing exist?
Nope...

Javi
Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Blueprints and schematics for any Keystone product are almost as elusive as the quest for the Lost Dutchman's Mine.... People have been looking for years without any success. If you do find them, you could probably market them and make far more than you'd ever imagine !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Blueprints and schematics for any Keystone product are almost as elusive as the quest for the Lost Dutchman's Mine.... People have been looking for years without any success. If you do find them, you could probably market them and make far more than you'd ever imagine !!!
And they would probably NOT match your unit.

I've had 2 trailers, same model, one digit different so they went through the assembly process next to each other, side by side in the service dept.
and found They are NOT wired/plumbed exactly the same.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Nope...
This seems like a huge missed opportunity. You can buy a third-party repair guide to any model year car or truck, so why not RVs?
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Sometimes wonder if Keystone has any diagrams or schematics at all. I've seen same model/year units with different wiring and plumbing routes and connections. Could it be a frame is brought out with a list of items to be installed in approximately the same manner and the guys to "go for it, the faster it is done the faster you go home"? An employee wiring today may be plumbing tomorrow and doing so in 'wiring mode"? Every unit is a new adventure inside...

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sometimes wonder if Keystone has any diagrams or schematics at all. I've seen same model/year units with different wiring and plumbing routes and connections. Could it be a frame is brought out with a list of items to be installed in approximately the same manner and the guys to "go for it, the faster it is done the faster you go home"? An employee wiring today may be plumbing tomorrow and doing so in 'wiring mode"? Every unit is a new adventure inside...
I think this may really be close to truth. I've not seen the "production line" but the way it looks is you place the major components then "someone" routes whatever is required by whatever means seems easiest at the time. So, unlike my home with pages upon pages of specs, the frame/body etc. rolls by and a "someone" just quickly figures out how he best thinks things should be routed. At the end of the day each purchaser has a "custom ) installation of "stuff".......never to be repeated and only to be revealed by the owner dismantling everything...... such is RV ownership.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
At the end of the day each purchaser has a "custom ) installation of "stuff".......never to be repeated and only to be revealed by the owner dismantling everything...... such is RV ownership.
So sad but true.

Thank you for the laugh, made my day ..... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Reminds me of the "cookie cutter subdivisions" where every third house is the same design, only reversed, so every sixth house is exactly the same, with a different color shingles and shutters (to give the owner some individuality)....

Think how "lucky" Keystone owners are. We can each claim a "custom built RV" that's unlike any other in the world !!!

When you get dealt lemons: Make lemonade

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Reminds me of the "cookie cutter subdivisions" where every third house is the same design, only reversed, so every sixth house is exactly the same, with a different color shingles and shutters (to give the owner some individuality)....

Think how "lucky" Keystone owners are. We can each claim a "custom built RV" that's unlike any other in the world !!!

When you get dealt lemons: Make lemonade

I bet the Amish get some good chuckles when describing how they saved 3 seconds on the line that will add 1 1/2 hours to a repair we may someday need. Then smile telling of the bonus Keystone gave him for that time savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen it on any of my 3 visits to the factory (for customer tours), but I've heard about the Amish worker who devised a quick way to make the 1.5" hole in the roof decking. Rather than use a hole saw (smooth sides and even, round hole) he worked out how to use a claw hammer, one quick blow to the 3.8" OSB and "voila" an instant hole. No matter that it's rough on the edges and splintered under the decking, it's covered up by the TPO roofing, and nobody will ever know......

I can't confirm that kind of workmanship, I never saw it on my tours, but it does sound like something that would happen in a Forest River plant, but certainly not in a Keystone plant... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
montana