Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
wrighfr58

Tow Vehicle Tire Pressure Verification

Being relatively new to the 5th Wheel experience, I am trying to verify some of the basics as it relates to towing. My TV has a set or Michelin LT275/70R R18 Load E. Max Load is 3640@80PSI.

When towing, should I be at 80PSI? We will only be camping about 6X per year and this will be the first will the New 5th and TV.

Right now I am running at 65PSI.

I figured it might help trying to tap into the knowledge and experience on this forum.

I can't wait to get this thing out in the Spring!

2008 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Bob Landry

65 should be good for a daily drive. I would run them at 70-75(cold) when towing just because of the weight on the rear axle. Great tires. I have 20K miles on a set and they aren't even beginning to show any wear.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Disregard -wrong info

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
mhs4771

You really need to get on the scales and find out how much weight you really have on all axles, TV and RV. Then based on those numbers you can adjust the tire pressure to match the weight. If you're just going to guess you would probably be better increasing pressure, but DON'T exceed the max as listed on the sidewall.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
f6bits

Just to jump in with my own question, would these TV tire pressures be *with* or *without* the trailer hitched up? My tire pressure increases by a few pounds once I have tongue weight on my TV.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
smiller

Pressure should be set with the rig in the configuration that you will be rolling down the road, so set the pressure when hooked up.

When setting pressure without precise weight info I would advise erring on the high side. It won't hurt anything to be at max. pressure (obviously no higher of course) other than perhaps some extra wear in the center of the tread over time, but it sure isn't good to be too low. When towing at or near the maximum (which is where most of us end up ) I set tires at max. pressure and monitor wear. If wear is even then that's where I leave them.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Just to jump in with my own question, would these TV tire pressures be *with* or *without* the trailer hitched up? My tire pressure increases by a few pounds once I have tongue weight on my TV.
Your question threw me for a second until I saw what your TV was. Your tires will react the way you stated and should be filled to the proper psi before being loaded. If you do this I think you will see very little if any change after hitching. It is possible that you Have P metric size tires on your Jeep. If you are loading it heavily consider going to LT Tires. JM2˘

As for load range E tires. I can not see any reason for NOT running max psi while towing. I run 70 psi front 80 psi rear and 80psi trailer while towing ALWAYS. The tires run cooler, roll easier and there is no question about overloading EACH tire. If staying a while I do drop pressure in the rear of the TV just to keep my fillings in place and then boost it back up for towing. Ask any over the road trucker what pressure they maintain in their tires and I think you will get a unanimous MAX. Better tire wear, fuel mileage and less scuffing of trailer tires in turns . Other than ride comfort (on this type of tire) there is no reason to reduce tire pressure on a loaded vehicle. Again this is JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
outbackmac

Tires

Always run tires close to if not at max tire pressure to gry full weight benifit out of them
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

In order to accurately determine proper inflation tire pressure, you need to visit a weigh scale and go through the weighing process. I would go through the scales with your "normal" load in both truck and 5th wheel. Once you have determined which tire(s) are carrying the heaviest load, tire pressure can be adjusted accordingly. All tires should have the same psi but not exceed the maximum cold air inflation found on the tire sidewall.
If you cannot visit a scale, then I would recommend inflating your tires to max or near max.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
LittleJoe

Am I missing something here??

Tire pressure does not rise because you put more weight on the tire.......
Temp will raise the pressure......either from going down the road or just plain sitting in the hot sun.

Putting more weight on the tire will make is sit lower if the air pressure is not high enough to support the load or the tire is overloaded.......
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Am I missing something here??

Tire pressure does not rise because you put more weight on the tire.......
Temp will raise the pressure......either from going down the road or just plain sitting in the hot sun.

Putting more weight on the tire will make is sit lower if the air pressure is not high enough to support the load or the tire is overloaded.......
This is true with a stiff walled LT or commercial truck tire but with a high volume flotation passenger tire the design of the tire itself can increase psi when loaded. Similar to air bags or air springs.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote