Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Dlbuck83

Carpet Removal

I have a 30' 5th wheel 2000 Sprinter by Keystone with one slide. The carpet was in bad shape, so I decided to remove it so I could replace with Allure. The carpet at the slide is a problem for me that I would like some advice with. There is carpet on the floor under the slide. I can't figure out how to get to that carpet to remove it. The carpet is a separate piece than what was on top of the floor of the slide. Any advice woudl be appreciated.
Dlbuck83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
BooHyde

Pics would be helpful. If I could see the type of slide mechanism you have, and the carpet area to be replaced, I may be able to help.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Removing any type of flooring under a slideout requires "hyper extending" that slide. If the slide is electric then there is most likely rollers mounted to the body of the coach at the outside edge.

Hyper extending the slide isn't for the faint at heart. You have to remove the "horseshoe" of facial from the front, back and top of the slide. If electric then you need to put supports between the racks and the floor. Then extend the slide so the edge of the slide is OUTSIDE the trailer. It ont come all the way out but it will come out far enough for the top to tip out and if Not supported properly the slide may fall over.

You may want to consider a different approach. If you can get enough carpet removed with the slide in its normal extended position, just cut it and lay new floor up to that edge. I currently have about 18 feet of slide with a refer, stove, and entertainment system hanging out while I replace linoleum.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
14george

Welcome to the fourm congrats from W va
Old 03-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Dave W

Welcome aboard!!

You may also be able to reach enough carpet by jacking the slide up a couple inches - also not for the faint of heart as Chuckster mentioned in his method.

I haven't done it on the current 5er but did two of the three slides on the last, a BAL cable slide and a Lippert rack and pinion type.

To do that, you extend it to all but about 3-4 inches. You can then span the underside of the slide between the framework (ends) with a 2 x 4 or 6 framework on its side to spread the load then using a couple mechanical jacks, usually just in from the ends a foot or so, slowly raise the jacks until the slide is at, maximum, the upper limits of the opening. This way, the physical components all remain in place with no risk of losing the slide.

A thin bar slid under the barely raised slide and whanged on with a hammer should break those usual ten thousand or so staples loose

A caution - I recommend mechanical jacks as there have been occasions that a hydraulic jack has failed or, more commonly, leak down. If that happens while your hand is under the slide floor, it WILL hurt
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would never have guessed that this was this difficult. I am both faint of heart and need all my fingers. I hope I don't have this become a need on the future!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Dlbuck83

I will post some pictures soon. Sounds like I am in for a great deal of fun. I appreciate the quick responses and the great advice. I guess I will find out just how courageous I am.
Dlbuck83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet