Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
busterbrown

Winterizing fresh water pump

I want to make sure that my water pump is properly winterized.

First, I set the bypass active on the hot water tank. Then drained it. Next, I opened up both hot and cold low point caps at the rear of the trailer. I opened up all the hot/cold faucet valves and let gravity do its thing for about 2 hours. The fresh water tank was then drained completely.

Next, I ran the water pump dry for about 30 seconds. By way of the city water connection and my air compressor, I then blew out each faucet head with 45 lbs of air pressure until no more water was seen. Finally, I hand pumped (via the city water connection) anti-freeze until pink was visualized at all the faucets. Next year I will use a quick connect line on the intake water line of the pump as I didn't have the Flojet 90 degree elbows. Used almost 3 gallons of antifreeze.

My concern is removing all water behind and in front of any check valves near the pump. How does one make absolutely sure that the pump diaphram and internals are complete free of water if you don't use the pump in the winterizing process?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Winterizing fresh water pump

At this point, it sounds like your entire water system is protected by antifreeze with the "possible exception" of the water line from the city water inlet "T" that branches off to the water pump. If you have a Flojet pump, there is no "check valve" in that part of the water line. The check valve is in the pump head. So, you can pull the "blue locking lever" on the pump head, remove the fitting and let gravity "drain" any remaining water from the "branch line that runs from the pump head to the city water inlet line "T". That would completely remove any water from that part of the line.

Then, with the pump inlet (from the fresh water tank) and outlet (to the city water line "T") removed, turn the pump on for a few seconds. You'll get a "sputtering" of water at the outlet. The pump head is a "rotational bead diaphragm" type pump, so there is very little "standing water" in the pump head. Once it's run with no connections (in or out) there won't be enough water remaining to do any damage.

The supply line from the fresh water tank to the pump "should" (no guarantees) gravity drain back into the tank, but even if it doesn't, any remaining water in a "low spot or loop" wouldn't be at or near any plastic components, so no damage should occur if a little water freezes in the vinyl supply hose.

Otherwise, don't forget your toilet valve, washer connections (if you have them) and black tank flush, otherwise, it sounds like you're pretty much done with winterizing.

Once you do get the flojet fitting and use the pump to run antifreeze into the system, that will "purge" any water from the pump and that part of the line, so this is a "one time, this year" type of "workaround"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
GaryWT

I generally use my pump to pump the antifreeze into the system so the pump gets winterized by doing that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
busterbrown

Thanks for the recommendations. Temps will be in the 60's again this weekend and I'll take a ride to my RV storage yard and play around with the water pump. I still have to wrap the wheels, remove the battery, and prep the interior.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're trailer is stored anywhere that mice could be an issue, you might want to completely remove all food, spices and anything that could be "consumed" by such critters.... Additionally you might want to consider "Fresh Cab Mouse/Rat Repellant". It's available at any Tractor Supply store and is a totally natural product that doesn't have any poison in it and won't harm your trailer or your pets.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Botanic...ab+fresh+mouse

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're trailer is stored anywhere that mice could be an issue, you might want to completely remove all food, spices and anything that could be "consumed" by such critters.... Additionally you might want to consider "Fresh Cab Mouse/Rat Repellant". It's available at any Tractor Supply store and is a totally natural product that doesn't have any poison in it and won't harm your trailer or your pets.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Botanic...ab+fresh+mouse
I've been searching this forum and other RV member sites to see what owners do to mitigate the risk of an infestation during the storage months. My very large lot (1300 units) is comprised of crushed and compressed asphalt over a vegetation-prohibited mat. The lot owners state that they rarely hear about rodent problems. That could be just sales propaganda.

I've read things from Bounce dryer sheets to fresh cab to peppermint oil to moth balls to scented bar soap. It seems like everyone has different results with many preventative methods. Probably off topic for this thread, but I'd like to hear what other owners do to ward off field mice. Maybe a combination of these things is best?

Old 11-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm in a rural area in northern Michigan, adjacent to about 75,000 acres of state forest. We park our trailer in a pole barn which is an "open" (even when it's closed) invitation for anything that's furry to spend the winter sheltered from the icy snow. So far, in 5 years of parking in the pole barn we've used Fresh Cab, which comes 4 packs to a box. We put two in the main trailer, one in the bedroom area and one under the bathroom in the storage area. Never any sign of mouse droppings, no damage and even though there's signs of mice being all over the pole barn, they never enter the trailer, the boat or the ATV's (which also have packets of Fresh Cab under the cover, laying beside the wiring harness/battery.

My BIL, who lives down the road, swears by Bounce sheets and he's always cleaning up "stuff" in his trailer. We rewired his ATV this spring from damaged (chewed) wiring. This year, he switched to Fresh Cab.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My BIL, who lives down the road, swears by Bounce sheets and he's always cleaning up "stuff" in his trailer. We rewired his ATV this spring from damaged (chewed) wiring. This year, he switched to Fresh Cab.....
Very convincing. Amazon sells the 4 pouch box for around $13. It's on it's way as I've read a few member posts that swear by the stuff. I may scatter a few Bounce sheets around the interior just for S&G's. Thanks John.

Tags
water, water pump, winter, winterizing