Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
syoun10

Electrical Problem - Help Requested! 2005 Everest

I have a new (to me) 2005 Keystone Everest.

I got an electrical problem today that I don't understand and would welcome any help and advice you can offer.

I was plugged it to 50 amp service today, with 2 ACs on, microwave & kettle (fairly heavy load, but nothing unusual) when suddenly all AC appliances went off. I still had 220 volts at the shore line, so it must be something at the RV. No circuit breakers were blown. So I used an adapter and plugged into the 30 amp socket to try it out. Then I got partial power - some appliances work (eg, ACs, microwave, some outlets) others don't (eg refrigerator, remaining outlets). I'm not sure if the battery is charging, so am being sparing on 12 volt power like lights, fans etc.

My guess is that perhaps the converter is blown, but as I thought about it I realized I didn't fully understand how the converter works. Is it the converter that decides whether to apportion the appliances between the two different phases of 220 volts when on 50 amp (220 V) service? Then run them all off the same (single) phase when on 30 amps (110 V)? There must be some logic that does this, and I can only assume it's in the converter - but please tell me if I'm wrong. If you believe my problem is the converter, where am I likely to find it? I realize there are lot of different floor plans (mine is a rear kitchen) but Keystone probably has a favorite place for things like this?

Any help you can offer would be really welcome.

Thanks
syoun10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Campy

Re: Electrical Problem - Help Requested! 2005 Everest

The converter will have nothing to do with your AC appliances, it's for the 12v stuff. It sounds like you lost one "leg" of your 220, check the AC breakers in your AC panel and reset them (looks like house circuit breakers) they might be tripped and not look like it. Flip them off then back on.........
Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

When you use the 30 amp adapter it apportions the single 30 amp hot lead to the 2 hot leads on your 50amp cable if I recall. If you are still having some AC appliances work and some not with the adapter it tells me that you've lost one side of your 50 amp service from the plug back toward the trailer. I think you probably need to double check your AC breakers in the trailer, your 50A plug (check the plug conductors) and point in between
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
14george

Check gfi outlet to see gfi then is tripped
Old 11-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
WaltBennett

Ahhh - I REALLY hope you don't actually have 220v going into your trailer. 50 amp service is actually two 30 amp supplies. This is split in your power panel with one set of AC breakers on one leg and one set on the other. This kind of supply could be wired for 220v, but that's not what your trailer uses internally.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

HI First off your trailer does not have 220v service. It has 2 120 volt lines. the 4 pins on the plug are 120v 120v neutral and ground. so start at the source the pole do you have power at 2 of the legs in the plug? if yes got to the plug at your camper after plugging into the pole. do you have power at 2 legs? 120v each. if yes check your main breakers remove the cover and check each one for 120v if no replace the breaker after you reset it and check again. on my unit one leg is a black wire one is red. white is neutral so put the neg lead on your volt meter to neutral the pos lead on the black then the red you should see 120vac. good luck. please remember if you go to replace the breaker shut of the power at the post. also i have seen many a post at the camp ground have bad breakers. which is why is suggest you start at the pole.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, electrical problem