Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Dodgeman

Trailer Dolly

Bought a new truck hard to park trailer in the limited spot to park in. On you tube people make them any ideas would help. I dont have to move it far so a 110 hook up would be ok.
Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Irish Mist

Re: Trailer Dolly

Found this on line http://www.djproducts.com They have for TT and Fifth Wheel
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
ImTravis

I've looked at a few products and they aren't cheap. I've learned practice and the wife with a radio is a lot more affordable for me. There was one product that mounted to the trailer that would move the wheels (think old bicycle powered light), had a remote..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Alpine

Would it help if you put a ball hook up on the front of your truck? Have see a lot of boat folks using this set-up!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #5
Irish Mist

What about getting a used Quad ATV and putting a hitch on the front? I'm sure it would move the trailer no problem and is a lot shorter then a truck..
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:18 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Mist View Post
What about getting a used Quad ATV and putting a hitch on the front? I'm sure it would move the trailer no problem and is a lot shorter then a truck..
That's a super great way to burn up a belt in any ATV that I've owned. Most are rated at a maximum trailer size of less than 1500 pounds and a tongue weight of less than 150 pounds. The CV belts in most ATV's and even in the larger UTV's just aren't durable enough to take the stress of pushing/pulling a 4,000 to 10,000 travel trailer. Even "just for parking", I wouldn't consider using one of my ATV's to move any trailer heavier than a small utility trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
Dodgeman

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure yet what to do I've got a little time to think about it. Ball on the frt is out because I still have length of truck to deal with. I could pull it forward about 4 feet unhook and come in at an angle would probably do it. Im still thinking about a dollie.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
Dodgeman

Right now I'm look at the trailer valet xl dolly can use your 18 volt cordless drill to power it can move 10,000 lbs.Google trailer valet XL and see. Reviews look good. Im only need to move about 20 feet. Im jockey between storage bard wood fence and neighbors stone wall across the street.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's a super great way to burn up a belt in any ATV that I've owned. Most are rated at a maximum trailer size of less than 1500 pounds and a tongue weight of less than 150 pounds. The CV belts in most ATV's and even in the larger UTV's just aren't durable enough to take the stress of pushing/pulling a 4,000 to 10,000 travel trailer. Even "just for parking", I wouldn't consider using one of my ATV's to move any trailer heavier than a small utility trailer.
Yep, exactly, even with a Gates carbon belt.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Pull Toy

Having taught trailer towing specialty courses, with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary for over 15 years to boaters, and having towed almost everything street legal since 1967, my best advice to you is as follows. Forget the Dolly, unless you want to haul it with you every time you hit the road.

Learn to back your trailer using the vehicle that will be hooked to it when 100 miles from home. That way you will have the confidence to not panic, when faced with NEW circumstances. The trick to backing in tight quarters is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Do it in an open parking lot at first, using empty milk jugs as pylons to lay out a course. They're cheap and easy to replace. Use a spotter whenever possible, Try, whenever possible, to back up toward the drivers mirror (back to the left). That way you don't lose your site line to the blind side. If you do back to the blind side, don't be afraid to put her in park as many times as you need to, to get out and scout your progress. It's times like this that a spotter is great, teach them to be "in your mirror", and agree on hand signals, or use a radio. If in doubt, straighten out! You'll never see a Pro afraid to pull forward to start again. Unless you're really good, once it's crooked... it'll probably stay that way. You will get proficient, don't let it overwhelm you.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Having taught trailer towing specialty courses, with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary for over 15 years to boaters, and having towed almost everything street legal since 1967, my best advice to you is as follows. Forget the Dolly, unless you want to haul it with you every time you hit the road.

Learn to back your trailer using the vehicle that will be hooked to it when 100 miles from home. That way you will have the confidence to not panic, when faced with NEW circumstances. The trick to backing in tight quarters is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Do it in an open parking lot at first, using empty milk jugs as pylons to lay out a course. They're cheap and easy to replace. Use a spotter whenever possible, Try, whenever possible, to back up toward the drivers mirror (back to the left). That way you don't lose your site line to the blind side. If you do back to the blind side, don't be afraid to put her in park as many times as you need to, to get out and scout your progress. It's times like this that a spotter is great, teach them to be "in your mirror", and agree on hand signals, or use a radio. If in doubt, straighten out! You'll never see a Pro afraid to pull forward to start again. Unless you're really good, once it's crooked... it'll probably stay that way. You will get proficient, don't let it overwhelm you.

Good Luck!
This ^^^^^ is spot on! You will encounter a campsite that is difficult (looks impossible) to back into. If you have to stop a dozen times to get out and look (G.O.A.L.) and if you have to pull forward a dozen time, isn't that better than bending the sheet metal? On our recent cross country trip, I encountered just such a situation. On my second stop to check clearances, I noticed a group of "seasonals" watching my progress. After two more stops, and three or four "pull ups" (BTW pull ups don't count) I was safely spotted. While I was getting the camper set up, an older gentlemen from the group that had been watching came over and said "You know, there have been three other guys that have tried to get into that site and gave up. You're the first one to make it in there". Patience and practice. Just sayin'.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:34 AM   #12
Dodgeman

So I'm getting what you are talking about. My first truck a Dodge dakota first time every time in. second truck half ton 1500 really tight on neighbors broken concrete wall, now a 3/4 ton and another foot longer I think the only way would be pull it out 4 ft. unhook and come in at a angle. And all the trucks i had to use neighbors driveway to get straight and I dont like using that if I dont have too. But thank you for all the info I will figure something out and by next spring I will let you know.