Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
scfire

WD Hanger bracket bent

Just returned from a short trip, when we got to the campground I noticed that my one hanger bracket had loosened off and was bent to the point that it was about to come off. Fortuneatly i was able to bend it back enough to nurse the trailer home. Just not sure as to what would cause this. Also the bracket has been shifting when in use. Any ideas would be great. Its a Reese Dual cam system.

Thanks!!
2011 F250 6.2L
Reese WD Hitch
scfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfire View Post
Just returned from a short trip, when we got to the campground I noticed that my one hanger bracket had loosened off and was bent to the point that it was about to come off. Fortuneatly i was able to bend it back enough to nurse the trailer home. Just not sure as to what would cause this. Also the bracket has been shifting when in use. Any ideas would be great. Its a Reese Dual cam system.

Thanks!!
Most common reason for bent snap up brackets with Dual Cam is that the Bar hit the cam arm in a turn because of not enough clearance. Really an issue with the pre mid 2010 version of the dual cam. (yellowish cam arms, not black arms) Reese doesn't do a very good job of explaining how much clearance is needed in the setup instructions, and I've seen several folks with inadequate clearance and bent brackets. do a slow sharp turn and have someone watch to see if the inside bar lifts and hits the cam arm.

Another common reason is that the bracket is only attached with the stop bolt on the inside and not bolted to the frame where the two square holes are. Older instructions/setup had bolts for these two holes. new ones don't.

And, finally, if your at 1200lbs or higher on the bars, replace the light duty snap up brackets with the gussetted heavy duty brackets shipped with the 1500 & 1700lb bar
And, if the snap up bracket is shifting in use, that's often in indication of not properly set up dual cam.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote