Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
BlueknightWI

Insurance

This is just because I am not happy with my current company. Just based on what they offer if something happens vs. my rates. Which company do you use? Do you have full replacement cost insurance, or actual value insurance?
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You might do a search. There was a recent thread, may be current, about insurance folks used and why. I use Geico; I get a current year new model trailer for the first 7 years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Cnc_hemi

State Farm.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
BlueknightWI

I've done searches under "Insurance" and all I get are questions about damage, etc. Oh well!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:42 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
I've done searches under "Insurance" and all I get are questions about damage, etc. Oh well!
Every state has different insurance regulations, so the only people who could give you "sage advice" about insurance in Wisconsin are people who have experience with RV insurance in that state. The rest of us can "relate our experiences" to you, but they may or may not be the same as your state's laws.

In Michigan, I have Progressive RV insurance. We had a tree fall on our fifth wheel. When I reported the loss and towed it to the dealer the next morning, Progressive had an adjuster there within 24 hours and a final decision on repairs/claims within 72 hours. They paid for everything except my deductible and we were "on our way". There is a 5 year "New similar model" clause as stated by another member, should we experience a total loss within that time frame, they will replace our trailer with a "new year model" of the same trailer.

There are a number of insurance companies that do "specifically RV policies". I'd urge you to research them as well as the "regular auto insurance companies". For example, State Farm, in Michigan, doesn't pay for towing an RV, nor do they pay for "interior contents" that are lost/stolen at the same rate as they do for "homes". Rather they pay for contents loss the same as they pay for similar losses in automobiles. Few automobiles have pots, pans, dishes, freezer contents, sheets, pillows, furniture and clothing, so there "can be" a hassle trying to get reimbursement from those types of policies.

Good Sam is an excellent "starting point" for RV insurance, but even they aren't licensed to broker insurance in all states.

If I were you, I'd start with Progressive or Good Sam, learn what they offer, then "shop around" at other agencies to see if they can match the policy and what price they charge. The only way you'll ever "know for sure" if you've got the coverage you need is by reading the "fine print" on the policy. Your state's "fine print" isn't the same as mine, so my advice on which company or which policy type won't be specific to your needs, rather just a "general description" of what's available here.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Geico has the best rates I've been able to find.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
BlueknightWI

Thanks guys. I am checking with GEICO now. I have my bike through them, but everything else is through Erie.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
pawpaw

State Farm
Old 05-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
Thanks guys. I am checking with GEICO now. I have my bike through them, but everything else is through Erie.
yep, I had my bike through them as well. Also the cheapest place I could find for that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #10
dave-g

I have progressive- seems ok. Thanks God no claims.

My 1st camper ( a small pop up) my auto insurance agent told me I did not need insurance, that my auto policy covered it. Well when a neighbors tree fell on it, I found out it was only covered while attached to the auto. Would have attached it if auto was not crushed by same tree.

Moral, trust no one and read the policy. But get insurance from some one who know rv insurance.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:15 AM   #11
gtsum2

I have my house, truck, cars and atv with Erie but went with progressive for the toy hauler as they have an actual value replacement cost. Seems pricey and maybe I don't need the replacement cost (ie purchase price of hauler)??? Do you all do replacement cost or depreciated cost (if it were totaled)?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
MBD

I have my insurance through Progressive. They had the best coverage and the rate was affordable. Whether it is any of my "stuff," I don't scrimp on insurance or maintenance. I am careful not to throw money away either. Between my home, automobiles, RV, and motorcycles-I have a substantial investment. Add in the cost of all the ancillary junk I have purchased to increase my satisfaction while using the above and it becomes cost prohibitive to "start over" if something big or catastrophic happens. While I would agree that insurance is a necessary evil (even legal extortion in some cases), doing it right provides peace of mind. Only you will know what a good rate is.

What kind of RV did you buy? The best? The cheapest? One you could afford? Or one that met your needs?

Good luck!

PS-Progressive only insures my RV and motorcycles because my preferred provider (USAA) doesn't write those types of policies and specifically recommended Progressive to do business with.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
bsmith0404

My first 5er was destroyed in a hail storm. I had just replaced the refrigerator. When GEICO did the appraisal they gave me more than I expected to begin with, then I sent them a copy of the receipt for the fridge, they added another $1500. Had the money within 3 days of filing the claim. I could not have been happier. The RV is the only thing I have insured with them, but if they could beat USAA's rates on the cars I'd switch.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE