Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
CWtheMan

Spare Tires

“It’s just a spare“. That might be a sales persons words when you question the design of the spare on your new trailer.

It’s coming folks, radial tires on the ground and bias ply tires on the spare rack. I wonder how long it will take Keystone to start doing it if not all ready?

During my recent trip to the local RV show I noticed something different on all of the Cruiser Travel Trailers. Green valve caps. Yep, that indicates 100% (or there about) gaseous nitrogen used for tire servicing. That’s what got me to looking a little closer. All of the trailers were fitted with Westlake tires. All had yellow and red dots used for balancing and all of the yellow dots were aligned with the valve stem.

I looked at the tire sizes and then checked the trailer’s certification labels. Every single one of them had bias ply spare tires of the same size as the tires fitted to the axles. So I asked a Cruiser rep what the deal was with the bias ply spares and he was very straight forward. The manufacturer was saving money with the bias ply spares.

Here are a couple of links to the pictures I took.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27423
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27421

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would be demanding the dealership replace the bias ply spare with a radial spare before I signed on the dotted line. And, there'd be no charge for the changeout or I'd walk off the lot and do my spending elsewhere.

Every document I've ever seen cautions NOT to mix radial and bias ply tires on a vehicle. As long as a trailer is considered a "vehicle" I'd stick to my guns and not mix types of tires.

Let the flames begin...............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Every document I've ever seen cautions NOT to mix radial and bias ply tires on a vehicle. As long as a trailer is considered a "vehicle" I'd stick to my guns and not mix types of tires.

Let the flames begin...............
Especially on the same axle ..... JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
cabinfever

Spare tires are for very limited use to get to a repair facility for the damaged tire. Having a bias ply on for a limited time to get the damaged tire repaired is not going to cause any issues.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A "Spare tire" to me is a "spare" meaning one that I can use as a replacement, not just as a "crutch" to limp to the nearest repair facility. When buying something as expensive as an RV, I'd fully expect that my investment give me the option to decide if I want to leave the spare on the ground and use the damaged tire as the "new spare". By the manufacturer taking that option away from me (in the guise of increasing his profit) is not something I'd think is in keeping with "the investment portion" of buying an RV.

We're already in the position of the manufacturer putting the "bare minimum" in tire size, tire brand and tire reliability on these things. Do we (you) really want to "roll over and say OK to them adding a bias ply tire to the mix of "junk" they are already installing? Doesn't seem like something I'd accept by thinking, "limited use to get to a repair facility" as being OK.

That's my take on it, yours may differ, of course I don't want a "do-nut spare" on my truck either, whether it's profitable for the manufacturer or just something that I probably wouldn't use except for just an emergency......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Spare tires are for very limited use to get to a repair facility for the damaged tire. Having a bias ply on for a limited time to get the damaged tire repaired is not going to cause any issues.
Have to disagree with this logic on an RV. Many of us travel to areas that you would need to drive many miles before a service facility is available. I know this is what car manufacturers have done, I don't agree there either, but most cars are driven in populated areas and don't weigh 5-8 tons. Also, with the tires they are providing, most times the repair can not even be made.

I agree with John, I'd walk away from any deal were the dealer/manufacturer would not give me the same tire as a spare.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
carwheel_09

Some of us even carry two spares. Ever have a blow max go on you only to have the other tire on the same side only make it a few miles. Ask me how I know, not fun. I would NEVER mix bias and radial tires.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Desert185

I had an RV dealer tell me if it held air it was good enough for a spare, even though there were signs of tread separation. Right...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
cathcartww

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A "Spare tire" to me is a "spare" meaning one that I can use as a replacement, not just as a "crutch" to limp to the nearest repair facility. When buying something as expensive as an RV, I'd fully expect that my investment give me the option to decide if I want to leave the spare on the ground and use the damaged tire as the "new spare". ......
We bought our TT used, so really didn't much choice of what kind of spare it had on, but checking it, it was a new tire identical to the OEM tires on the TT, but on a steel wheel instead of the fancy aluminum wheels. Like JRTJH, I wish it had come with the same fancy wheel so I could rotate the spare with the rest of the tires ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

The auto industry got away with this by saying it reduced weight, gave more trunk space and increased fuel mileage. They can keep their multiple 8" lcd navigation/entertainment centers, self parking, self stopping, built in hot spot and "HEY STUPID" you're drifting out of your lane warning lights ..... just give me a real tire. (although I wouldn't want to pay $400 for a fancy wheel ... plain steel is good for a spare since I only do a four tire rotation) There was a time that the spare on a trailer was a dealer option and they tried to make it look they were doing you a favor by giving you a tire and bumper mount with a cover that advertised their dealership. As usual ... JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
fla-gypsy

I will not have a spare that is not the same make, type and weight rating of the other 4. Just not going to do it even if I have to buy 5 tires when changing.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I just replaced all tires on my boat trailer, including the spare. I purchased that spare tire/wheel/ mounting bracket after the boat. The spare never touched the road but, it was replaced as the other tires. So, if needed it would work. Those tires were made in 2007.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote