Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Goingfor9

Tow vehicle descion

Looking to change my tv. Right now i tow my tt with a 2010 f150. It tows it ok but am a couple hundred pounds over my gvwr. Looking at 2 directions. Gmc denali 2500hd gaser, don't tow enough to justify diesal nor do I want one. The tow capacity seems to be only 9500lbs. It's a 2012 3.73 rear end and 4 wheel drive. It has 2,900 lbs of payload. The other vehicle is a 2011 f150 ecoboost with max towing and gets me 500 more pounds of payload which solves my payload issue. It also tows 11,200 pounds which is a lot more than the 3/4 ton. My trailer loaded is around 8,000 pounds so both vehicles can handle the weight. Just looking for thoughts either way.
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
therink

With the GM HD gasser, you need the optional 4:10 axle, which increases the Towing capacity to around 13,900. Most dealers dont stock 4:10 gassers. I had to factory order my current and last 2 HDs to get the 4:10.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
GaryWT

I towed with a 2010 F150, the numbers were 8600 towing and 1700 payload. The trailer is 6400 dry and 8000 loaded. It did the job but I knew I was at the limits. I upgrade to a F350 gas with payload north of 3800 and towing of 12,200. We love it. Looked at Chevy but everything on the lot was towing of 9600 like you said. Looked at F250's but, for one the dealers had 1-250 for every 10-350's and the price was about the same so we went with the better towing numbers. They tried to get me to go to an ecoboost but the payload was just slightly better than what I had. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're looking at buying a new tow vehicle, if you can hold off until the 2015 F150's arrive, you might give them a good look. There is a lot of talk about aluminum bodies (think airplane) and the lighter weight means increased payload. Ford just "won" an award for the most improved payload in half ton trucks, but they haven't released the final specs on the "whole package" so who knows what the rest may be?

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton are essentially the same build from all the manufacturers, they ride about the same, look the same, cost about the same to operate, yet the payload nearly doubles in some situations. If I were buying again, especially if I were thinking diesel, I'd definitely buy a 1 ton.

But you said you wanted a gas truck, and from your post, you mentioned a 2011 F150, so if you're looking at buying a late model used truck, I'd stick with the one that's the best buy with the specs to do the job. Since you're buying "specifically" to tow the trailer, the higher the numbers, the "safer" you are if you do upgrade the trailer and even if you don't, buying a new tow vehicle that "barely covers the current trailer specs just puts you in much the same situation as you currently have.

Bigger is not always better, but being at the edge to start doesn't give you any "headroom" for the future. I'd buy the truck that seems like the best overall investment provided it improved my towing capability to cover my needs with room to spare.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

On my other forum the word is 700 lbs lighter. Will this mean 700 more lbs payload? Like John said, no solid numbers yet. I visit that forum regularly so if something does get said, I'll post up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
BulletOwner1

"Disclaimer" - I'm a Ford guy.

That being said both Ford and Chevy make decent trucks. If they didn't they wouldn't be in business (I'm ignoring the gov't bailout).

I vote for the Ford your looking at for no other reasons than the weight issues AND (here's the big one) the Ecoboost 3.5. From personal experience I know that that engine makes gobs of power and not just at a high RPM level. I tow a TT that dry weight is 5500 with loaded weight around 7000, give or take, and I'm very happy with it. The only reason I have to go slow up hills is if there is someone ahead of me.

Have you driven both of the trucks? People who haven't driven the EB aren't aware of the power available at the low RPM range.

Richard
Old 10-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're looking at buying a new tow vehicle, if you can hold off until the 2015 F150's arrive, you might give them a good look. There is a lot of talk about aluminum bodies (think airplane) and the lighter weight means increased payload. Ford just "won" an award for the most improved payload in half ton trucks, but they haven't released the final specs on the "whole package" so who knows what the rest may be?

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton are essentially the same build from all the manufacturers, they ride about the same, look the same, cost about the same to operate, yet the payload nearly doubles in some situations. If I were buying again, especially if I were thinking diesel, I'd definitely buy a 1 ton.

But you said you wanted a gas truck, and from your post, you mentioned a 2011 F150, so if you're looking at buying a late model used truck, I'd stick with the one that's the best buy with the specs to do the job. Since you're buying "specifically" to tow the trailer, the higher the numbers, the "safer" you are if you do upgrade the trailer and even if you don't, buying a new tow vehicle that "barely covers the current trailer specs just puts you in much the same situation as you currently have.

Bigger is not always better, but being at the edge to start doesn't give you any "headroom" for the future. I'd buy the truck that seems like the best overall investment provided it improved my towing capability to cover my needs with room to spare.

Good Luck.
Well said, I think you need too look larger than a F-150, if you don't want diesel that's cool, they offer them with a gas motor. But you are right at the point IMHO that you need too think safety, I have a Laredo that tip's the scale at just over 8,000lbs and I'm towing with a F-250 7.3L diesel, it tows great but it seems everyone loves too cut me off or pull in front of me because I try too leave extra space. It's always nice too have more braking than not enough, so I would error on the side of caution.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
BirchyBoy

To piggy back on this discussion:

I'm looking at upgrading from my '99 Yukon to a newer/more capable TV. I like the idea of a 3/4 ton gas truck. My camper isn't very heavy right now (4500lbs), so I think that I can throw my motorcycle in the bed and still have more than enough capacity left over. Me, my wife and our dogs weigh in at around 500lbs. My bike is another 600lbs. We might occasionally have a 3rd passenger, so another 180lbs. All told, between 500 and 1,300lbs of us before adding the camper and its cargo.

Here's my question: do I need to be worried about the powertrain in a used 3/4 ton vehicle? I'm looking at a 2005 F250SD with the 5.4L V8 that has 90k miles on it. The tailgate has been replaced with one that has a low center, so I'm guessing that they previous owners towed a fifth wheel with it. No way of knowing the service history other than what Carfax lists.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
To piggy back on this discussion:

I'm looking at upgrading from my '99 Yukon to a newer/more capable TV. I like the idea of a 3/4 ton gas truck. My camper isn't very heavy right now (4500lbs), so I think that I can throw my motorcycle in the bed and still have more than enough capacity left over. Me, my wife and our dogs weigh in at around 500lbs. My bike is another 600lbs. We might occasionally have a 3rd passenger, so another 180lbs. All told, between 500 and 1,300lbs of us before adding the camper and its cargo.

Here's my question: do I need to be worried about the powertrain in a used 3/4 ton vehicle? I'm looking at a 2005 F250SD with the 5.4L V8 that has 90k miles on it. The tailgate has been replaced with one that has a low center, so I'm guessing that they previous owners towed a fifth wheel with it. No way of knowing the service history other than what Carfax lists.

First let me say I'm no Ford expert but can relate to the TV in question.

As far as 90k miles go, that's nice low mileage for that age of truck. The 5.4L engine is a solid power source and gets good gas mileage for being a V8. I would recommend that you have both the engine and tranny looked at and fluids inspected before making any offer. That should tell if the vehicle was serviced correctly. Also, if you go to a Ford dealer for this inspection, it will cost more though, there is a good chance they will be able to identify service records if that vehicle has been service anywhere by Ford.

In your part of the country I would assume also that the truck could of been used for hauling horses with a gooseneck. Any signs of a previous hitch installed in the bed?

Good luck
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote