Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
gearhead

Indy 500

Called the ticket office this morning. Got 2 tickets on the front straightaway just past the start finish line. Also got a RV spot in lot 4A premium camping, 20' x 50' with 50 amp electrical. No water or sewer.
This is our first time at Indy. Any pointers??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
notanlines

In the mornings, walk down to the American Legion right across Georgetown Avenue from the main entrance and have breakfast. They do a great job, the walk will do you good, and the price is fair. At night, walk over to the cheap side (lots 1A, B, C) and walk around looking at the goings on. Things happen there that you will be able to talk about for years to come. And if you have a spare hour or so while traveling, send us a message and we'll meet you at Waffle House for coffee on your way through Memphis.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
gearhead

Yep, in my internet digging I heard about the Legion Hall. I think they have a few RV spots as well. I also heard the Coke lot has interesting happenings. And, I usually take a few walks at the races. You could sell tickets to some of those happenings.
I'm thinking the second night stopover will be Tom Sawyers in West Memphis. I might take you up on that.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
carwheel_09

The Indy 500 is always been on my bucket list. If my fiver has to go back to Goshen I may take it myself. Make a positive adventure out of my problem.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
The Indy 500 is always been on my bucket list. If my fiver has to go back to Goshen I may take it myself. Make a positive adventure out of my problem.
Yes, it is a bucket list item!
What IS the status of that? Sounds like a nightmare actually.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
carwheel_09

At a local dealer for assessment and a refrigerator repair. I didn't bring it to the infamous dealer out your way. Was told that outside of the factory no one could make a adequate repair. I'll make lemonade out of the lemon. [emoji3]
Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
At a local dealer for assessment and a refrigerator repair. I didn't bring it to the infamous dealer out your way. Was told that outside of the factory no one could make a adequate repair. I'll make lemonade out of the lemon. [emoji3]
Oh no! A refrigerator repair. Let the fun begin.
I guess the local dealers job is to take pics for Keystone?
I stopped by the infamous dealers other shop in League City to look at closet door latches. No bueno. I bought some Velcro straps at WalMart to try. Also ordered tie back straps from Amazon.
Let us know how the frame issue shakes out.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
carwheel_09

Refrigerator cools good but let the outside temp get above 65. Then the fan motors goes to whining. Never had that before. Heard it's common on the new Dometic. Local dealer is going to do measurements. Seems there is a 1/4" of tolerance allowed. Wonder were the starting and end point of that 1/4" is.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Zapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Called the ticket office this morning. Got 2 tickets on the front straightaway just past the start finish line. Also got a RV spot in lot 4A premium camping, 20' x 50' with 50 amp electrical. No water or sewer.
This is our first time at Indy. Any pointers??
I grew up on Indy's west side and retired from Allison Transmission in downtown Speedway, IN. I've been to more practice, qualifications and races at IMS, than I can count. A MUST DO, is walk Georgetown Rd from the Coke lot to 16th St and turn left on 16th St and walk past what is the main entrance, (that maybe where lot 4A is, across from the main entrance). This walk should be done the night before the race and sometime after 10PM and with no kids, it's safe because there are cops everywhere but unless someone gets REALLY stupid or violent they let the party happen. Have fun and be safe...and the biscuit and gravy breakfast at the Legion is epic!

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
I grew up on Indy's west side and retired from Allison Transmission in downtown Speedway, IN. I've been to more practice, qualifications and races at IMS, than I can count. A MUST DO, is walk Georgetown Rd from the Coke lot to 16th St and turn left on 16th St and walk past what is the main entrance, (that maybe where lot 4A is, across from the main entrance). This walk should be done the night before the race and sometime after 10PM and with no kids, it's safe because there are cops everywhere but unless someone gets REALLY stupid or violent they let the party happen. Have fun and be safe...and the biscuit and gravy breakfast at the Legion is epic!
Sounds interesting! I'll take that walk. I believe 4A is at the northwest corner of the track.... just east of Georgetown.
I know my tickets are too low....but we're right across from the stage and near the start/finish, and most important: the wife doesn't have to climb too many stairs.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
DougM55

Quote:
Zapper, I grew up in Plainfield and my Dad has worked at Allison's for about 45 years. He's known as Morgy. Maybe you know him?

I had tons of fun going to Carburation Day with my Dad and brother every May! Miss those days...
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
Zapper

I know him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM55 View Post
Zapper, I grew up in Plainfield and my Dad has worked at Allison's for about 45 years. He's known as Morgy. Maybe you know him?

I had tons of fun going to Carburation Day with my Dad and brother every May! Miss thoughs days...
I know your dad, in fact if you look at my signature, you may see the name of someone you know...small world, huh. Best to you!

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
DougM55

Quote:
I know your dad, in fact if you look at my signature, you may see the name of someone you know...small world, huh. Best to you!
Wow! Really small world. PM sent so as not to hijack the OP thread.
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote