Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

If he only changes the oil and oil filter, runs the tests on the coolant, rotates the tires, and does his other inspection thingys.. it cost me $79.95 I have this done every 7500 miles (give or take)
Cost's me less than half that at the dealer for my Ecoboost. I do it more often just because I'm sort of old school. My opinion is the recommended interval is to long and it's cheap insurance. Especially considering what I have invested in the truck .
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Cost's me less than half that at the dealer for my Ecoboost. I do it more often just because I'm sort of old school. My opinion is the recommended interval is to long and it's cheap insurance. Especially considering what I have invested in the truck .
I'd had the oil tested and at 7500 miles it still came back with more than 60% of its useable life left.. Amazing what twice as much oil and clean running diesels can do.. Because I'm also old school I still change it every 7500 or so..

'sides... I traded an '11 eco-boost to go back to a diesel, them little trucks and I don't get along too well..
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #23
BulletOwner1

Quote:
I'd had the oil tested and at 7500 miles it still came back with more than 60% of its useable life left.. Amazing what twice as much oil and clean running diesels can do.. Because I'm also old school I still change it every 7500 or so..

'sides... I traded an '11 eco-boost to go back to a diesel, them little trucks and I don't get along too well..

Well with the rig you're towing I'd expect no less.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

I really appreciate the posts on the costs. It doesn't seem to me that it is twice as much as a gas vehicle. I use 7 qts. 0-40 Mobil 1 synthetic and change it every 5k miles with filter. It costs me less than $90 (I used to do all my own work but can no longer get under the vehicle so have it done). The various filters and quantities of oil were the things mentioned to me that ran up the costs along with plugged injectors and other diesel problems?? If I bought one I don't think I'd ever get to realize the benefit of the longevity of the engine but.....man, I'd sure love to feel 850lbs of torque in a pickup!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I really appreciate the posts on the costs. It doesn't seem to me that it is twice as much as a gas vehicle. I use 7 qts. 0-40 Mobil 1 synthetic and change it every 5k miles with filter. It costs me less than $90 (I used to do all my own work but can no longer get under the vehicle so have it done). The various filters and quantities of oil were the things mentioned to me that ran up the costs along with plugged injectors and other diesel problems?? If I bought one I don't think I'd ever get to realize the benefit of the longevity of the engine but.....man, I'd sure love to feel 850lbs of torque in a pickup!!
No... it really isn't twice as costly for normal maintenance. If the motor does break it can be costly, but I'm thinking the little motor with the twin turbos ain't all that cheap to repair neither.

For me owning a diesel isn't about expense, nor is it a status statement it is about having the proper tool to do the job with the least effort. When I made my living with a wrench, buying an impact made a lot of sense. Pulling a trailer several thousand miles a year, buying a diesel truck makes sense.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
talk2cpu

Deal done

I appreciate all the support and always find it interesting how all threads get to diesels. Ended up switching gears because the local dealers are selling so many trucks into Western ND oil fields that they just would not deal. So went about an hour East and found a nice 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Looked real close at the numbers and should only be running about 75% of max tow, payload and axle load. Will find out how much altitude will affect it, but I'm not sure I will do well above 5000 feet either so may not spend much time in the clouds. Not only couldn't justify the additional cost of the EcoDiesel, couldn't get one anyway. We got it with the RAM Box so no longer a need to keep tools in the truck and when necessary can lock ammo and guns separately and out of reach of the driver. Not sure what good they will be like that so will avoid those states as much as possible.

Lovin' the new truck and it is getting 15mpg in town and 22 on the highway. Actually beating the Ecoboost numbers. Still guessing 10 to 12 towing, will find out next season.

Tom
talk2cpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
For warranty reasons I have my dealer service my truck and if he replaces both fuel filters, air filter, does all the tests on the coolant, changes the oil and oil filter, and rotates the tires it costs me $179.00. I have this done every 15K.

If he only changes the oil and oil filter, runs the tests on the coolant, rotates the tires, drains the water separator and does his other inspection thingys.. it cost me $79.95 I have this done every 7500 miles (give or take)
I do my own servicing. $32 for three gallons of Delo at Costco (the Cummins takes 10 qts) and ~$11-12 for a Cummins oil filter. The '94 12 valve needed valve adjusting, but the 24 valve doesn't. .010 in and .020 ex every 25,000. No spark plugs. Pretty simple.

The wife's Volvo takes a case of Mobil 1, $30-37 at Costco and a Mann or Napa Gold oil filter for $8. Platinum plugs every 100,000 miles.

Fuel filters every 30,000 or so, I rotate my own tires, lube what little needs lubing, flush the brake fluid and PS fluid every one or two years (the dealer won't do this), brakes as required, etc. I just don't see the extra expense for a diesel.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

talk2cpu

Your 5.7 should be fine anywhere you go. With fuel/direct injection, computer controlled everything etc. the engine doesn't really know what the elevation is. My 5.7 did fine all over southern CO through all the passes, including Wolf Creek. I don't know what TT you have but if it is pretty big (7500lb up) you will know it on the steep hills.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #29
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
talk2cpu

With fuel/direct injection, computer controlled everything etc. the engine doesn't really know what the elevation is.
The power loss for a normally aspirated engine (no turbo or supercharger) is approx 3% per 1000' of altiitude gained. There isn't a computer on the planet that can change that on its own.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #30
talk2cpu

Eco Diesel towing?

You guys look at the numbers for the Eco diesel? Payload and towing would have been less as mine is equipped. So much for it being the "go to" engine.
Tom
talk2cpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #31
cathcartww

How about a full size van? A one ton Ford or Chevy gives you plenty of towing capacity for that size trailer (or the next size up for that manner), lots of creature comforts, great view of the road, lots of extra cargo capacity, and is usually less money than then comparable pick-ups .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote