Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
howard

2014 F-350 Diesel warning lights

While driving (thankfully solo) the warning chime sounded, a red warning picture appeared that said low engine oil pressure, then the next picture said engine overheating, then "service advance trac", then a picture of a wrench. All of the gauges shut down, including the tach, & speedometer. I pulled over on the shoulder and turned off the engine and turned the flashers on. I had the oil changed the week before at the Ford dealer. The engine would not restart, or even try to start. I called Ford's towing service and an hour later the truck was on a roll back on the way back to the dealer. They kept it for 7 days, driving it 70 miles and said they could not find anything wrong. I drove it for about 125 miles after picking it up and again the same thing happened, this time I decided I would not immediately pull over but go to the next exit on the Interstate. About 30 seconds later the gauges came back alive no warning lights and it was as if nothinng had happened. The truck is not quite a year old and has 15,000 miles so it's going back to the Ford dealer on Monday. Has anyone had a similar experience? What was the fix?
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
wtxdxer

I suggest you post your question in the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/. You're much more likely to get a response there.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Ram189

Sounds like it has a wiring harness bad in it somewhere.

Everything you are explaining has the same tendecies as a battery dieing. As the newer vehicles loose power they start shutting down non essential computers and modules.

My guess would be either a wiring harness going bad at and cutting everything out or a module somewhere is getting hot and cutting everything out. Make sure you tell them it happened after driving it over 100 miles.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
gwvwadc

Regardless of what the problem is, there should have been some trouble codes thrown. Your service shop should be able to check for any that were stored when this occurred.

Me, DW and Taz (Yorkie and the REAL boss!)
2013 Cougar High Country 321 RES
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4 FX4
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Wing-in-it

If it happens again try and video it safely with your phone.

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
game warden

Can you get the trouble codes for me from the dealer? they should have noted it on your repair order
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
Brantlaker

The Dealer should do a Wiggle test on all of the harness that is pull and wiggle all if the harness. It sounds like a loose connection somewhere or a bad Ignition Switch but there should be a code in the PCM.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #8
rnkburg

Where are you located and maybe our members can suggest the best dealership that works on trucks. Just because they are a dealer doesn't mean they are the best one around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
The Dealer should do a Wiggle test on all of the harness that is pull and wiggle all if the harness. It sounds like a loose connection somewhere or a bad Ignition Switch but there should be a code in the PCM.
1)Not everything that happens leaves a code in the system.

2) If you don't know what is cutting out and why which of the 6 miles or wiring harness and 8 modules do you want the dealer to start doing a wiggle test too?

Every vehicle now is on a buss system. Every module ties into another module or system and when one fails then usually 2 or 3 more will shut down. I have seen a radio module shut down systems that are completely unrelated.

Until the dealer can get it to act up they will never be able to test anything unfortunately. Unless technical assistance has seen multiple concerns and has a fix until it acts up for the tech it will be a mystery for them to fix

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
Nguyenbio

I had the same thing happen last onto to my 2014 f250 diesel. The only difference was that mine was in the driveway and did the exact same thing on start up. I shut it down and it would not restarts. Just like you, ford towed it to the dealer (awesome service center) and they actually drove it off the flatbed. It threw four codes, all of which stated that the PCM was not communicating with all the other modules. The tech compared it to a computer booting up and checking all the systems, and they systems were not responding.
They kept the truck for five days, ran a battery of tests on it, and along with the Ford engineers; they could not come up with a problem. I have had four EGT sensor issue prior to this and have consulted a Lemon Law attorney. Let me know if you find anything out!

Regards,
Joe
Nguyenbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Desert185

Technology is a wonderful thing, and technology can be a terrible thing. Sorry. I know this doesn't help.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenbio View Post
I had the same thing happen last onto to my 2014 f250 diesel. The only difference was that mine was in the driveway and did the exact same thing on start up. I shut it down and it would not restarts. Just like you, ford towed it to the dealer (awesome service center) and they actually drove it off the flatbed. It threw four codes, all of which stated that the PCM was not communicating with all the other modules. The tech compared it to a computer booting up and checking all the systems, and they systems were not responding.
They kept the truck for five days, ran a battery of tests on it, and along with the Ford engineers; they could not come up with a problem. I have had four EGT sensor issue prior to this and have consulted a Lemon Law attorney. Let me know if you find anything out!

Regards,
Joe
Man I was gonna suggest egr-t sensors as something similar happened to me as well but the sensor nearest the turbo on the passenger side was bad.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:27 PM   #13
Chad B

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
While driving (thankfully solo) the warning chime sounded, a red warning picture appeared that said low engine oil pressure, then the next picture said engine overheating, then "service advance trac", then a picture of a wrench. All of the gauges shut down, including the tach, & speedometer. I pulled over on the shoulder and turned off the engine and turned the flashers on. I had the oil changed the week before at the Ford dealer. The engine would not restart, or even try to start. I called Ford's towing service and an hour later the truck was on a roll back on the way back to the dealer. They kept it for 7 days, driving it 70 miles and said they could not find anything wrong. I drove it for about 125 miles after picking it up and again the same thing happened, this time I decided I would not immediately pull over but go to the next exit on the Interstate. About 30 seconds later the gauges came back alive no warning lights and it was as if nothinng had happened. The truck is not quite a year old and has 15,000 miles so it's going back to the Ford dealer on Monday. Has anyone had a similar experience? What was the fix?
Howard-
Are you still active here? I am having the exact same issue and I am interested in know what you found out
Chad B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

The OP's last login was Last Activi06-12-2017 04:52 PM
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote