Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
obxfanatic

29RTPR Slide problem

I purchased a Keystone Bullet RTPR in September 2012 and this trailer has been problematic since day one. I brought it home from the storage yard and pressed the slide button to open the slide and the slide jammed halfway when a grinding sound started. I am leaving for a trip on Friday so I called Camping World to see if they could take me and I was told mid September. They have the worst customer service and they are not customer friendly. The warranty is over but this slide had issues from the beginning. It was brought to CW last year for grinding and popping noise while transitioning in and out. All that CW did was add lubricant and they had the trailer for 2 weeks. I am so frustrated with this product. Is it worth calling Keystone to see if anything can be done? I spoke to the Keystone Rep at an RV show last fall and he said that if the one year warranty is over, there is nothing Keystone can do and the costs of repair are on me. So, instead of going to the Outer Banks for our week long family vacation, we will be staying home and going to work.
obxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you haven't called the slide manufacturer yet, it might be worth a phone call to them. My guess it's made by Lippert. Their website is www.lci1.com and they can be reached at 866-524-7821.

Have you tried taking it in to another nearby RV repair facility other than CW? One that can get you in sooner, have the issue looked at, and repaired in time so you can still go on your vacation?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
obxfanatic

The slide is made by BAL RV Products. I called Keystone and the trailer is out of warranty and they will not cover the slide. The other authorized Keystone dealer cannot look at the trailer for 2 weeks. I cringe when I have to bring my trailer in for service. I am so disappointed in the dealer network and Keystone. This product with the BAL Accuslide is just not good. Thanks for your advice though. Appreciate you writing.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for clearing up who the manufacturer is. Still, I would contact BAL, explain the problem to them and see what they can do for you. They may be able to offer some help or if not, you aren't out anything.

What about a non-authorized Keystone dealer? Since it is out of warranty and Keystone has pretty much said "no", why not take it to somebody else who will look at it asap and perhaps get you fixed and on your way.

If any repairs need to be done to our RV that I can't handle myself, I don't bother with an "authorized Keystone dealer". The non-authorized folks there are thorough, prompt and one of those businesses who actually believe in and practice "customer service".
Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
obxfanatic

Thanks. That is good advice. I found a local RV repair company who said he could possibly take me on Thursday and at the latest Friday. It still puts a damper on my trip but at least the trailer will be looked at this week rather than waiting until mid September (and before tailgating season begins).
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

At last - some encouraging news! I hope these chaps can get your slides working properly so that you are ready to go camping again later. Since you don't know the repair shop folks, it might be worthwhile to get a commitment from them about a deadline for when you want it back. They may be able to get you in on Friday but if they can't work on it 'til November, that doesn't help you much............lol
Old 08-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
obxfanatic

Update on the slide issue. The local RV repair service will perform the repair but I have to order the parts from Camping World. Keystone will only sell parts to authorized dealers and Camping World is the only one close by. The next closest Keystone authorized dealer is 1.5 hours away. So with that said, the trailer is going back to the local CW for service. The private repair person said that the cable system in this type of slide is not very reliable. This is my second Keystone RV and has been a lemon. I love the trailer but when I take it on the road, I'm always leery about something breaking on the slides and then I have to wait weeks to get an appointment from CW for the trailer to be repaired. it was a good thing that this issue with the slide happened before my trip and not on the road. Maybe it's time to trade this in and go with a different manufacturer. I do love this trailer...don't get me wrong but it has become a worry with this type of slide. Just not reliable. It's like driving an old clunker where you never know if it is going to start in the morning.