Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Wolfwalker

Hydraulic slide oil?

I have a keystone montana that has a Dewald pump for my slides. It is low on fluid. It says to use atf but the fluid in it is hydraulic fluid of some sort. The two don't mix...does anyone know what type of hydraulic fluid is used in these?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Automatic trans are just big complicated hydraulic pumps. Giving away my age ... think "Hydromatic" trans. In the stack of paperwork that came with the trailer (not the Keystone manual) find the manual for the slide mechanism and follow those directions. AFT is hydraulic fluid but may not be the proper type for your pump since there are several kinds of ATF.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Bushman512000

Had slide leak

I had a leak one time and added oil but remember to have slides in before adding to the full line or You may over fill I used clear Hyd.pump oil all was fine for the years I had the rig no muss no fuss Bushman just do not mess with the set screws they are hard to get in sink so I was told not to mess with them...Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
bobbecky

Go to this link, http://www.lci1.com/support/leveling...veling/levelup ,which is Lippert's site, go to the left drop down under Lipsheets, and select 0291, which is fluid recommendations for their systems. ATF is just hydraulic fluid with dye and some additives. We have topped up our system, which had clear fluid, with ATF, and have had zero problems.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Wolfwalker

Well I went to Lippert's support website and they told me to use iso46 10wt.

(exact reply: Hello,
If the oil is clear then it is standard weight IS046 ( 10 WT.) oil , if the oil is red then it is AFT ( automatic transmission fluid) Dextron 3 with Mercon 5. Thank you.
tony.)

Now where can I find iso 46 10wt? I can find iso 46 20wt at Murdoch's, but that's it. The RV service shops or sales don't even carry it...

Help please!!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
bobbecky

Just add ATF, and don't stress about the color. Use whatever Dexron ATF you can find. These are simple hydraulic systems, not lifting megatons of weight, just pushing slides in and out. Just remember, ATF is hydraulic oil, just has additives for use in transmissions, and those additives don't change the function of the fluid as hydraulic fluid. Added ATF to ours a couple of years ago, even added CAT stiction fluid additive to stop the popping from the Lippert leveling system. Slides still operate fine, and the leveling system works fine as well. No reason to over think about the fluid. Just DO NOT use type F fluid.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote