Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
BirchyBoy

Review of my inital CAT scale weights

I took my rig to a CAT scale today and got the necessary 3 runs. There is a discrepancy in the 2 runs with the trailer attached; I must have been mid-stride from the speaker box back when the operator hit the button. I wanted to get a baseline before I load things up to see where I stood. My Equalizer hitch has 4 washers in it currently.

This is with a full tank of fuel and just me in the truck and the dog. The trailer has some stuff in it but not a full load. In addition to me in the TV will be my wife, approximately another 160lbs.

Any advice/thoughts on this so far?

This is a pic of my calculation from the FifthWheelST.com website:
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I read thru the numbers and it seens to me your trailer and tow vehicle match up pretty well. The front axle seens alittle light. If you can adjust it to put more wt. back to the front axle you would be alittle better. So, I ask with the set up the way it is do you feel it steers the same as without the trailer. The more wt. you remove from the front axle the braking and steering can/will change as some point. On my combo I have checked the weights and have 2 settings I use. One takes 300lbs off the front axle, the other 200lbs. I cannot get anymore wt. back to the front with what I use. I have NO truck handling, steering, brakeing differences than when it is pulling the trailer or not. So, I am not concerned. My example has the truck wt. at 7800lbs and pulling a trailer at 7000lbs. It may not apply in your case. Did you look at the max. load ratings of the rear tires on the tow vehicle. Make sure they are made to handle the wt. you have on them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

It seems pretty close, maybe a bit lighter on the front. Based on your review, would I adjust the "L" brackets up or down, or wait until I have my wife and some more cargo in the camper and get it re-weighed first?
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

On your type I cannot give advice about how to adjust it, I just don't know, I have never used one like that. But, putting passengers and gear in the truck or trailer will change readings, how much to the front axle, I would ONLY guess at little change.
Now lets muddy the water alittle more, the DOT scales I used to weight trucks etc in Oregon and give cites for over weight were cerified to be within 200lbs of 100% true. I have read on here some say the same and some say their scales are 100% true. Will a 100-200 lbs difference make a vehicle unsafe, not likely on a 80,000lb load, On a 5,000 lb load who knows.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
It seems pretty close, maybe a bit lighter on the front. Based on your review, would I adjust the "L" brackets up or down, or wait until I have my wife and some more cargo in the camper and get it re-weighed first?
The "L" brackets are for gross adjustments and the tilt (washers) are for fine tuning. You need to load the TV and the trailer just as you would to travel before fine tuning the bars.

This video may help explain
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The "L" brackets are for gross adjustments and the tilt (washers) are for fine tuning. You need to load the TV and the trailer just as you would to travel before fine tuning the bars.

This video may help explain
Thanks. I'm going to run another test when it's loaded more for a longer trip like we have planned in May. Then, if the scales tell me I need to adjust I'm going to have to take it somewhere to add a washer because I don't have the tools to put as much torque on the large bolts as necessary
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

A random editorial comment from the peanut gallery (me)....

I should start off by saying that the exercise of writing it all out and weighing everything is AWESOME... Everyone should do it... I'd encourage it.

HOWEVER, the problem I have is with the title of that form. It should be titled "Conventional Trailer Weight Capacity Report"

Safety is more than one element (weight)... and is an act; or a state of being....

There is no "safety margin".... You have a capacity/rating margin... What you do (or don't do) with that margin is what makes it safe.

Oh well... editorial comment over. Carry on
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote