Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #21
SoGaDually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I noticed we have the same trailer as you and we do not have a sewer odor problem, if that was the only problem we had I would be happy. We are still having the Frame Flex issue, 2nd time around, trailer is going in Oct. 11th, when I thought we had bought the cream of the crop, but I guess not...
Keep me posted on the flex frame issue you are having. I would be interested in hearing more about your issue and the out come of how the dealer handles it.
I haven't notice that with ours. We really haven't had any major issues, just a few small ones that I was able to take care of.
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
SoGaDually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
I just bought on of these; but I haven't installed it yet. What kind of caulking should I use around the base?
I use NuFlex 311 Self-Levelling RV Sealant. You can get it through Camping World. I had a RV Tech tell me about this stuff a while back. I like it better than Dicor
Old 10-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
SoGaDually

This weekend makes the fourth trip out since I have installed the Camco Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent. It did the trick. No more bad odor in the RV.
All I can say it works as advertised. If you have a sewer odor problem I will now recommend the Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent....
I'm happy, more important Mama is happy!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
TandE

Glad it worked out for you. I have been thinking of doing this since every now and then we get the smell in the rv but it is mainly when the vent fan is on. Does it help in that situation too?
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
SoGaDually

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Glad it worked out for you. I have been thinking of doing this since every now and then we get the smell in the rv but it is mainly when the vent fan is on. Does it help in that situation too?
Not sure if it would help or not with the problem your having, It can't hurt anything either if you decide to instal one. Our issue was was while pulling our RV then once stopped we had a slight sewer odor in the RV.
If your vent fan is close to the sewer vent on the roof and you have the fan set to draw air into the RV, it could be drawing fumes from the sewer vent.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Jim Dow

Bought It But Not Installed Yet

I bought one of these units; but I haven't installed it yet.

What type of sealant did you use around the base of the unit?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

SoGaDually answered that in post # 22.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
SoGaDually

Quote:

I use Nuflex 311. Camping world handles it.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #29
TimPasq

Sewer smell only under sink.

We have a 2012 Bullet 248RKS that we really like. Have over 11,000 miles on it so far and only a few minor problems that have been easily fixed. We are wintering in it in Arizona -- in place for two weeks. Yesterday we noticed a sewer smell only under the sink. I checked for leaks and checked all fittings and found no loose fittings, no cracks and no evidence of leaks. Any idea of how to find the source of the smell?
TimPasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

By "sewer smell" do you mean "musty gray water smell" or "black tank smell"???

The two tanks are not connected and the black tank smell can not get "under the sink" unless there's a major malfunction like a cracked tank with an air leak under the sink.

If it's a "musty gray water" odor, chances are the "cheater vent" is bad. It looks like the attached picture and you can buy a replacement at Lowes or HD for about $8. Unscrew the old, screw on the new and you'll be "good to go"

To check to be sure it's the cheater vent, put a Ziploc sandwich baggie over it and tape it to seal any leaks. If the odor goes away, you'll know it's the vent.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #31
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ&S View Post
We haven't had this problem YET, but good to know. I haven't bought a trailer gadget in the last five minutes, so here we go.
Haha, no kidding, I looked at my Ebay purchases 11 so far in the last 30 days, not counting what I have purchased locally lol. My last trip to the Rv place last week, made me several hundred lighter.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
TimPasq

JRTJH,
Thanks. It was what you call the "cheater vent". While awaiting a reply to my email I did a thorough search and found what I would call an air vent terminating behind the sink with a cap and what appeared to be two factory made rectangular holes about half inch by 3/4 inch in the cap. I put duct tape over the two holes and the odor disappeared. This is truly an odd contraption. It serves the same purpose as the air vent going out the roof as described in earlier posts but terminates under the countertop behind the sink… why would a vent terminate in such a manner to invite the odor… unless there is some sort of flap to prevent return of sewer odors inside the cap (cheater vent) that has failed? I'll check at Lowes and/or Home Depot for a replacement. Thanks again… I'll disassemble the old one to understand how it works.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

You're very welcome. The cheater vent is designed to allow air INTO the system (to prevent burping) but has a rubber flapper that is supposed to stop any backflow of sewer gas from the tank back into the cabinet that the vent is installed in. Over the years (sometimes months) depending on what "gas" the rubber is exposed to, it will start to dry out and curl on the edges. Then it won't seal properly and backflow gasses can seep past the flapper.... That's probably what you'll find once you get it disassembled. I'm glad it was that and nothing more serious like a cracked holding tank or broken vent pipes. Good luck replacing it. I always keep a spare at home and in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #34
Quiroule

I have a Cougar HC 291 RLS, I have never seen this cheater vent and I have been everywhere Inside and out. Is-it possible that I don't have any.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I have a Cougar HC 291 RLS, I have never seen this cheater vent and I have been everywhere Inside and out. Is-it possible that I don't have any.
You probably have two, one under the kitchen sink, right off the downpipe (behind the P trap) and one under the vanity sink, usually in close to the same place as the kitchen one. Our 2011 Springdale had them, so I'm almost positive your 2010 Cougar is vented the same way. They are almost a standard vent practice for gray tanks on almost every RV. If I remember correctly, the ones in our Springdale were black, and very difficult to see.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
TimPasq

Cheater vent location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You probably have two, one under the kitchen sink, right off the downpipe (behind the P trap) and one under the vanity sink, usually in close to the same place as the kitchen one. Our 2011 Springdale had them, so I'm almost positive your 2010 Cougar is vented the same way. They are almost a standard vent practice for gray tanks on almost every RV. If I remember correctly, the ones in our Springdale were black, and very difficult to see.
Our 2012 Bullet is as JRTJH has described above. They are black and hard to see but go up from the drain pipe just past the "P-trap" behind the sinks in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #37
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPasq View Post
Our 2012 Bullet is as JRTJH has described above. They are black and hard to see but go up from the drain pipe just past the "P-trap" behind the sinks in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Good luck.

Isn't the black one in the bathroom under the vanity of the Bullet the black tank flush vacuum breaker? I need to check under my kitchen sink for that vent. I get some smells In the main cabin of my Bullet from time to time.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Isn't the black one in the bathroom under the vanity of the Bullet the black tank flush vacuum breaker? I need to check under my kitchen sink for that vent. I get some smells In the main cabin of my Bullet from time to time.
There are possibly two devices mounted in the bathroom vanity. One is the "cheater vent" which WILL be there and the other is possibly the black tank flush anti-siphon valve. The black tank flush anti-siphon valve may be installed under the vanity, in the shower wall, in another wall or possibly even in the forward compartment tucked "WAAAAAYYYY up into the space under the shower.

Here are pictures of each, they are extremely difficult to get mixed up, but I suppose it has been done.....

Remember, both of these devices are probably black, so don't look for a white vent or valve as some easy way to identify either, you most likely will only see them in black.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #39
KJcachers

Yeah, I've had to replace the black tank thing in my bullet. Don't remember seeing the other in the bathroom vanity. I'm guessing I probably only have the one in the kitchen because both sinks and the shower share the same grey tank.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #40
Quiroule

Thanks for the info. I will check that as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote