Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #1
LHaven

Known issue with Minder brand TPMS

I just got off the phone with Minder (TireMinder) about a problem I had with one of their tire transmitters. I took the cap off to change the battery, and the battery and battery retainer immediately fell out onto the pavement.

It seems this is a known design defect in the system -- at speed, the batteries stress their retainer clip, which eventually snaps and separates.

They have designed new caps for the transmitters with interior cushions that brace the retainer against this stress and keep the batteries making a good connection.

A set of replacement caps is $5. Minder is at (772) 463-6522.

(It's possible you could jerry-rig your own cushions... just make sure the cap seals all the way to the O-ring, or you'll corrode out your electronics in short order the first time it rains.)
Old 03-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Seems if they knew there was an issue they would send replacement parts gratis.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
LHaven

Well, they did for me as a one-off, but I figured people with the older equipment might like to get out in front of the problem before it happens to them. Five dollars for a complete set of caps might save you at least one $50 transponder, maybe more.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I just got off the phone with Minder (TireMinder) about a problem I had with one of their tire transmitters. I took the cap off to change the battery, and the battery and battery retainer immediately fell out onto the pavement.

It seems this is a known design defect in the system -- at speed, the batteries stress their retainer clip, which eventually snaps and separates.

They have designed new caps for the transmitters with interior cushions that brace the retainer against this stress and keep the batteries making a good connection.

A set of replacement caps is $5. Minder is at (772) 463-6522.

(It's possible you could jerry-rig your own cushions... just make sure the cap seals all the way to the O-ring, or you'll corrode out your electronics in short order the first time it rains.)
Is the issue you've experience related to all pressure/temp sensors from TireMinder, or a specific sensor? Just curious because you had not posted the model system you have installed.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #5
LHaven

Sorry, I thought I had done this, but obviously I didn't. I have a Smart TPMS, with the older style, non-pass-through transmitters. I can't tell from their photos [LINK] whether they are the CHI-REF-BRASS 2ND G or the CHI-NEW-BRASS 3RD G, they look identical to me.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:24 PM   #6
xrated

I'd be tempted to get in on this...but, I threw my TireMinder Smart TPMS into the trash a couple of years ago. Nothing but trouble from that system. I frequently changed batteries (6 tires/wheels), had them replace a couple of sensors, and nothing changed. During our trip out west in 2021, I had so many false alarms that I finally just turned it off. When we got home after a month on the road, I ordered a TST 507 and the the Tireminder in the circular file. Not an ounce of trouble with the TST system since I bought it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote