Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
griz_king

Dish Play Maker satellite

Will this orient itself to the South automatically? Looking to mount it on the roof of new toyhauler. Dealer says it will Dish says it wont
griz_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

According to this it does

https://planetdish.com/dish-playmaker/

That being said, I have had a Wineguard portable since 2009 and I didn’t mount it on my roof because I wanted the option of parking in a shady spot and not losing satellite tv.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_king View Post
Will this orient itself to the South automatically? Looking to mount it on the roof of new toyhauler. Dealer says it will Dish says it wont
The Playmaker dish has a handle you point NORTH and then it will be looking in generally the southern direction. I had Dish TV and carried a compass for that reason. Once the handle points north and it is connected to your Wally or other receiver it will automatically point south and lock on the necessary satellites on its own. I set mine mostly on my slide out but a few times set the dish on a tripod and needed to use longer coax due to trees blocking the southern sky. I was actually able to use 75' coax and pick up signals well but they don't recommend that long a wire. I also had 15', 25', 50' sections of coax I kept rolled and ready in the event needed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
Wyldfire

Mounting on roof will severely limit where you can park to use it. A single tree or building to the south of you will block its ability to get one or more satellites.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:32 AM   #5
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Dish Mounting

Quote:
I use a Direct TV portable dome for my RV. I use a 75' dual coax cable that is wired into the inside tv box. That allows me to park under or near trees and have always been able to locate my dome in a clear enough area to get reception. Trees will absolutely interfere/prevent reception. Another thing I learned about my dome is that while it does a great job of finding the satellites on its own, it does not rotate a full 360 degrees so if I set the dome facing a certain way, it can NOT find the satellite because it cannot rotate to that point. I I took the top of the dome off, found what it rotational limits were and put an arrow on top to make sure it gets it pointed in the south direction. I use a compass as well to verify which direction is south. Your results may vary.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:06 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Re-reading your question, the Playmaker was not intended to be fix mounted. It must be oriented every time it is used by the handle facing north. I kept mine in my passthrough storage and took it out and set it on my slideout if no trees were in the way. If trees blocked a view of the southern sky I set it on a tripod.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #7
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Re-reading your question, the Playmaker was not intended to be fix mounted. It must be oriented every time it is used by the handle facing north. I kept mine in my passthrough storage and took it out and set it on my slideout if no trees were in the way. If trees blocked a view of the southern sky I set it on a tripod.
WiredGeorge is absolutely correct, handle to the North, the unit will only function properly when oriented in this manner.
As far as a roof mount, I considered placing one at the top of our ladder which is only a couple of feet from the Winegard roof unit. However, the other postings are correct regarding obstructions such as branches etc. Recommend purchasing the collapsible Winegard tripod mount that disassembles easily and takes up hardly any space.

Only drawback is what happened to us last month, departed our house and left the Winegard Satellite Dome Bag sitting in the garage, didn't realize it until setting up the first night in a remote State Park, no service OTA. The remainder of the trip we suffered thru OTA and occasional RV Park Cable.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
Kojac

This is how I mount mine, takes about 15 mins! I bought the pole kit on Amazone for about 95 dollars. Sorry about photo being sideways!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	43096
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:04 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojac View Post
This is how I mount mine, takes about 15 mins! I bought the pole kit on Amazone for about 95 dollars. Sorry about photo being sideways!
I used that mounting pole system for mounting my WiFi & 4G LTE antennas but on the side of my camper. In the down position, they are no higher that other penetrations (like the A/C). The mount shown by Kojac would work fine as you can easily turn the base of the mount to orient the antenna. Problem would come in if there are trees between the antenna and the southern sky which is why I just parked mind most times on my slide out if not trees obstructing and put the antenna on a tripod away from obstructions otherwise.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:03 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

While the Playmaker will do the fine tuning you have to manually orient it to the south. It is very sensitive to obstructions. I've heard other models are less sensitive.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #11
lonerider98

Cojack Do you have a link for your mount?
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:48 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
While the Playmaker will do the fine tuning you have to manually orient it to the south. It is very sensitive to obstructions. I've heard other models are less sensitive.
The effectiveness of any parabolic dish is directly proportional to its size. The Playmaker dish is the smallest out there an hence the lightest and easiest to store. The small size makes it more susceptible to attenuated signal strength in with trees in the direction of south. Works fine if re-positioned away from the direction of interfering trees and set on a tripod for up to 75' cable distance.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:05 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, remember that if using the Playmaker with that 75' cable, the Keystone KEYTV system does not have enough power to "run the motors that move the dish in the Playmaker" that align the dish to aim at the satellite....

So, you may find that the "automatic aiming" won't work properly. It's not just Playmaker, but any satellite receiver that uses DC power through the coax cable to provide power to the motors in the dish package.

If I remember correctly (somebody give the correct information if I'm wrong) the maximum distance for the coax run for the Playmaker to work properly is 25'.... I may be "not remembering correctly" but there is a short run distance that KEYTV will power the system, but not the full stated 75'......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:54 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also, remember that if using the Playmaker with that 75' cable, the Keystone KEYTV system does not have enough power to "run the motors that move the dish in the Playmaker" that align the dish to aim at the satellite....

So, you may find that the "automatic aiming" won't work properly. It's not just Playmaker, but any satellite receiver that uses DC power through the coax cable to provide power to the motors in the dish package.

If I remember correctly (somebody give the correct information if I'm wrong) the maximum distance for the coax run for the Playmaker to work properly is 25'.... I may be "not remembering correctly" but there is a short run distance that KEYTV will power the system, but not the full stated 75'......
When using a PLaymaker, I connected the coax from antenna through a pass through bulkhead coax connector to a 2' length of coax and to the Wally receiver and did not use or have KeyTV. I am never sure why someone would use one of those things as it presents a potential issue that doesn't need to be in the loop. Obviously, the Playmaker receives power from the Wally and I was able to use 75' of coax to connect and if the KeyTV can only push through enough power for the Playmaker to work at 25', I would not use the KeyTV but would bypass it.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I would not use the KeyTV but would bypass it.
Yep, that's why I mentioned it, hopefully to prevent anyone from spending all the time to install a Playmaker into the KEYTV system, only to then spend all those troubleshooting hours, and find out it wasn't possible to use it that way in the first place..... Sort of "keeping the barrel away from your toes so you don't shoot yourself in the foot" kind of advice....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #16
Kojac

I will try and find the receipt, its been a couple of years so it might take a day or two!
20K Reese Goosebox
Old 02-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #17
Kojac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider98 View Post
Cojack Do you have a link for your mount?
Sorry it took so long: flagpolebuddy.com Looks like they went up a hundred dollars in 3 years?http://flagpolebuddy.com
20K Reese Goosebox
Old 03-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #18
mgrote

Did they tell you that it will only work on one tv. I had one and can’t get rid of it. Fought with it for a year, called dish several times and finally got a top dog tell me that if you have multiple tvs the second tv has to watch the same satellite as tv 1, that is if the second tv ever acquires the signal, mine never could.
I put up a permanent mount DISH Pro - Smart Multi-Satellite RV Antenna SK2DISH and use my home receiver’s and dvr. No second subscription and you can continue to watch your dvr program’s on the road.
mgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #19
rlh1957

Yes it will orient itself.
Rooftop is convenient, but can limit reception if you park under shade or tree, whereas mobile on a cable you can move receiver dish to the best point.

Mine is on the roof and tracks in fine. I have been limited at times by trees.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #20
apachewolf

Quote:
I am not familiar with the dish you mentioned but In 2011 I bought a combo set, receiver and antenna. The receiver was/is a Dish Network VIP211Z and the antenna is a Winegard PATHWAY X1. At that time the price was about $ 490.00. It has worked well since than. The X1 is connected to the VIP211Z. When we arrive at our destination I bring out the X and place it where it has a clear view of the southern sky. I turn on the VIP 211Z and it finds the satellite all by itself. I used to have one of those big (20” dia) dishes on a tripod it could take from a few minutes to hours to find the sat. This one I just turn on the receiver it than ask me where I am (state) and the rest is done quickly and without my help. If you are out of range call Dish on their 800 number and they’ll set the receiver to whatever zip you are in. If you have Dish at home with the local channels that is what you’ll get if you are on the road. If you are too far away from home you’ll get the local stations on the area where you are now. It takes about 10-15 min to setup with the download of programs available where you are. You can buy your own receiver and add that to your account for a mere $ 5.00/monthly. You can also turn it off when not needed, either by calling them or by logging into your account and resetting it there. As for mounting it on the roof that could be a problem. The X1 can be mounted BUT if you park under trees or there are other obstructions you can’t use it. That is why I just put it down where there is room. Sometimes (mostly) I put it on the roof of the slide out but other times I just find a good spot for it.

Hope this helps.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite