Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Justid2

Cabinet Wood Issue

I’ve got a new to me 2018 Summerland that’s flawless except the lower MFD and wood grain paper on about the bottom 3” against the flooring in several spots. I believe the moisture issue came from the previous owners over mopping with liquid cleaners. No signs of water intrusion behind the cabinets either.

I’m thinking about neatly installing black vinyl coving around the base. It’s the only thing I can think of. Some of the areas are a little swollen on the mid but not crunchy soft.

Does any else have any good ideas on a nice fix?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	43075
Justid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #2
Justid2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4696.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	43076
As bad as it gets, just wish it wasn’t silly mfd.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:10 PM   #3
dutchmensport

I have one spot on my Montana High Country like that, the artifical wood looking wall paper is coming loose from the particle board behind it. It makes no sense, because "they" used real wood everywhere in my camper, except at the bottom of the cabinets. Really stupid!

Anyway, my one spot was looking pretty bad. I made sure it was completely dry, then I put a bead of caulking along the floor and wall, outside and inside of the cabinet, and spread it up far enough it seals the wood.

You could do the same thing and perhaps go one step farther than I did:

When the caulking dries, taped off the floor, taped off to about 2 inches above the puffy wood, and then spray painted with black rubber coating. Once dry, pulled the tape off. What remained, would look like trim, sealed the wood, sealed the remaining wall paper, doesn't add any weight, and doesn't require any custom wood working.

This stuff.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
rhagfo

We had the same issue twice, first came with the trailer, bottom corner of entertainment cabinet, come to find out occasional leak at water pump fitting inside the bottom of the cabinet. The other was from an episode of Mermuts (dogs turned on kitchen faucet, and flooded a bit, the face frame and counter top damaged. Repl;aced the countertop in a month or so, the face frame got Oak at Home Depot and a Kreg pocket screw tool, and built a new face frame. Then a while later built an new face frame for the entertainment cabinet.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #5
jxnbbl

I would probably make a "kickplate" or "baseboard" and make it uniform around the room of the trailer for esthetics
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:54 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

In your first photo, the grill shown is directly under the refrigerator. There is, what appears to be, some water damage to the underside of the top cross member of that grill. There is "damaged vinyl covered MDF" at both ends of the grill framing, but there does not appear to be similar damage just 3 or 4 inches away. At least what's shown in the photo doesn't have similar "water damage". So, I'd question whether "over-zealous mopping" caused damage to some of the MDF, but not the same MDF just 3" away.... Seems unlikely, in my opinion...

What I do think your problem is, would be condensation from the refrigerator door not completely closing along the bottom edge gasket or more likely, a leaking condensation hose on the back of the refrigerator, and that water deposits on the floor of the refrigerator cabinet, seeps forward and has saturated the MDF in the grill and framing below the refrigerator....

It's "nearly impossible" for water from "over-zealous mopping" to damage the top of the furnace vent grill, 12-14 inches above the floor, and in your photo, it sure looks like there's water damage "up there, just under the refrigerator cabinet floor.

I know this doesn't address your "how do I make this look better" question, but if you have a currently ongoing problem, masking it will only allow the underlying damage to continue until the problem is a significantly harder issue to resolve.

Here's the area I'm talking about:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	furnace grill.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	43077  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:05 PM   #7
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justid2 View Post
I’ve got a new to me 2018 Summerland that’s flawless except the lower MFD and wood grain paper on about the bottom 3” against the flooring in several spots. I believe the moisture issue came from the previous owners over mopping with liquid cleaners. No signs of water intrusion behind the cabinets either.

I’m thinking about neatly installing black vinyl coving around the base. It’s the only thing I can think of. Some of the areas are a little swollen on the mid but not crunchy soft.

Does any else have any good ideas on a nice fix?Attachment 43075
I would agree that this is caused by a water leak from your fridge. We had a passport that got written off Aug of 21 due to to a flood. If you look at the pictures i am attaching the damage is very similar. I doubt mopping caused that issue. There is something else going on there.

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	43078

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	43079
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

OP just for grins have you pulled those floor registers to see what it looks like "down there"? From the pics it sure seem like water has intruded in a lot of places.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:02 AM   #9
Justid2

I’ll look more closely at the fridge. I did look behind the cabinets under the sink and no damage on the insides, just the outer faces. Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-23-2023, 07:24 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I asked about inside the floor registers because from the pics that damage is pretty widespread. The fridge may be the culprit but if what I think is wood damage a considerable ways away from it it would have to be a heck of a leak/drip. I was wondering about a sink overflowing and filling the floor while the owner was gone?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:12 AM   #11
MahiTacos2

Is there a best practice ie good sealant when this starts to deteriorate? Super glue? Just like all the vanities at hone depot/Lowe’s. Just a crappy way to make cabinetry. Should be oak or maple plus a stain and finish. This way it can be repaired with a stain stick.
MahiTacos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 04:21 AM   #12
dutchmensport

MahiTacos2, once particle board begins flake apart due to water causing it to swell and dry and swell and dry, it's pretty much completely ruined and really no way to save it. Without replacing it completely, all you can do is try to put a band aid on it and keep it from crumbling more. But eventually, with all the shaking and bouncing our camper take on the road, they end up crumbling.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:57 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiTacos2 View Post
Is there a best practice ie good sealant when this starts to deteriorate? Super glue? Just like all the vanities at hone depot/Lowe’s. Just a crappy way to make cabinetry. Should be oak or maple plus a stain and finish. This way it can be repaired with a stain stick.
Hardwood cabinetry comes with 2 major drawbacks, COST & WEIGHT. Increased weight equates to increased costs as well in order to support it and pull it. High end motor homes are often built with better materials but that's not a fair comparison.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:40 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiTacos2 View Post

What is deteriorating? There are various materials in the RV that deteriorate. Also super glue is not a sealant, it's a glue. I use Tite Bond glue in my woodworking. As the demand has skyrocketed for light trailers to be pulled by lightweight trucks the solid wood cabinets, particularly hardwoods, are literally non existent in nearly all pull behind trailers.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:11 AM   #15
MahiTacos2

MDF trim. Well aware of cost/weight but think it’s stubborn to even offer this garbage. To prevent moisture from damaging the mdf/laminate bond at the floor… I was wondering if adding a sealant would prevent issues. At time of mfr if the they would seal the ends of the trim I bet that would help too. Anyone try this? Clear silicone? I worry it’s a solution causing another problem.
MahiTacos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:09 AM   #16
sierraman68

To try to help prevent moisture creeping into the MDF and the peeling of the finish at the base of cabinet at the floor interface I have added a 2 inch clear vinal protective tape ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHVY19G4...t_details&th=1 ) to keep incidental moisture away from the cabinet. This also protects the base of the cabinet from accidental scraping of the finish.