Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2023, 06:35 AM   #1
Jswcamping

2023 390ds Washer and Dryer question

Hi! We are super new to this!!

We just purchased our 390ds on Saturday and haven’t picked it up yet. We are considering adding a washer and dryer unit. Is there a 220 volt for the dryer? I didn’t even check the voltage.

We are thinking of buying an lg or Samsung 2.4 cubic foot washer and matching (vented) dryer vs. the splendide line. Any opinions?

I am also going to ask in another thread about solar panels as we’ve never used them before and don’t know where to start!

We just started down this path to camping in August 2022.
Jswcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:07 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The sizes of washer and dryers that fit in an RV use 120vac. Looking at a walkthru of that trailer it appears there is one right beside the location for the dryer. I found 2.2cf Samsung washers, 2.4cf LG washers but no 2.4cf dryers. Size will be important as well as operating voltage.

The value of the washer/dryer depends on your usage of the trailer. For us they are indispensable but we stay for extended periods (we use Splendide stackables). If just a weekender the value would be minimal at best. A vented dryer is the way to go IMO. Non vented take longer and give more wrinkled clothes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #3
Jswcamping

Maybe we just go with the Splendide? I was just thinking that the lg and Samsung have more positive reviews. We aren’t going on a long trip (more than a week) until the fall. Should we wait or just put it in now before we even take it off of the lot?
Old 02-21-2023, 07:32 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed MANY splendide units over the years and I can say I’ve only replaced 1 drier in all those years. DO NOT get the combo unit, as you will be very disappointed.

Having them installed prior to delivery may cost less than adding later on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

These are my opinions only and others will have theirs but I've never seen a washer/dryer in an RV that wasn't Splendide but I'm sure others have different brands. Probably because I've only been in a few to actually SEE what was there. We've not had any issues with the Splendide units and most others don't as far as I know. I do know I've read some posts in various forums of folks that do....but that goes for every brand.

The value of the washer and dryer (pretty hefty price) comes in their use. You don't need a washer and dryer for week long trips unless you take very few clothes and then intend to soil them quickly. If your intent is to take longer trips next year, later this year etc. then they might come in handy. Once we hit 2 weeks at a time we saw the value (big time) of our own units vs trying to use laundry facilities at campgrounds or other commercial places. Your intended camping style will dictate the value of them to you and you need to know that up front if possible because;

I would install them at purchase. Have them roll the units and installation into the sales price. I did and negotiated the installation down to almost nothing. I bought from CW and bought the units there as well. They were on sale in their brochure. GM said they didn't give sales prices when equipping a new unit but he did and then reduced the installation - that is one plus. Installed at purchase it will be covered under the manufacturer warranty and the dealer, who will install it, will warrant their work as well. Also, if financing the units can be rolled into the purchase price.

Buying after purchase you will have to have the unit back to the shop for who knows how long and any warranty will be between you and the manufacturer. If you choose to install yourself the same will hold true but be aware that you'll have to cut through the outside wall if you want to vent the dryer...which I recommend.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
Jswcamping

So don’t get the combo unit? That’s what they suggested. I’m not stacking. Doesn’t combo mean just a washer and dryer package?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
Jswcamping

Why disappointed?
Old 02-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Combo unit is very small capacity, think 1 pr of jeans, and takes FOREVER to dry. They probably wants you to buy non vented? Basically no work for them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:39 AM   #9
dutchmensport

We had our Montana High Country for a couple years before we finally settled on a washer and dryer. This was our 4th camper (5 if you count the pop-up) and never had a washer / dryer in any of them.

We finally reached the point where we got sick and tired of trying to find laundry mats and having to travel through areas of town and whatnot we were not familiar with. Then, sometimes the surroundings of the laundry mat were questionable, and sometimes the people in the laundry mat were ... well ... less than "desirable." Not to mention the TIME it took to do laundry and the cost.

It was not uncommon for us to drop $20-$25 for all the loads of laundry we did. And over the years, prices for laundry mats increased and increased and increased. Doing the math, we probably paid the cost of 2 sets of washers and dryers over all those years.

For us, the biggest issue was the time it took. Second was the space it took to pack-rat store dirty laundry in order to make it worth while to run, sometimes, 20 or 30 miles from where we were camped, to the nearest laundry mat.

Not to mention, all the clothing we had to keep stockpiled, anticipating doing laundry about once every 2 week, or at best, once a week.

After getting the Splendid (stackable -- outside vented) several thing changed real fast.

First, we used the washing machine itself as our laundry hamper. That by itself eliminated several baskets (for) laundry sitting around and once a basket was full, having to figure out where to put it so it wasn't always in the way. Add 2 or 3 more laundry baskets and it was just awful. Space is limited in a camper.

The next thing that happened was, the amount of clothing we had to drag along with us was reduced by more than half. Actually, we now plan only 5 days of clothing changes. That means 5 pair of under ware, 5 T-shirts, 5 pair of socks. It means not having to keep on hand several pair of blue jeans, shirts, or jackets. Because, as soon as they come off, they can get washed immediately.

Next, is saves us a LOT of time. No longer traveling to laundry mats in unknown locations, spending time on the road, and just spending time waiting for laundry to finish while in the machines at the laundry mat. With your own in the camper, you can load it up, turn it on, and go play! (or take a nap, or read, or watch television, or go for a hike, or go fishing). When returning, toss the laundry in the dryer and forget it! Often times now, we just pull our next days clothes right from the dryer. Don't even have to fold them any more! All time saving so we can engage in something else, other than sitting idle and board at a laundry mat.

Once I figured out how much water the entire wash cycle uses in the washing machine, it was easy to regulate how often I needed to fill the fresh water tank and / or dump the bathroom grey tank.

Now, almost every day, we do at least one small load, often throw our bath towels in too, so we ALWAYS have fresh clothing and towels in the bathroom every day.

And here's another advantage of having the dryer in the camper. Ever go hiking and get caught in the rain? What do you do with those soaking wet clothes? Yep.... you hang them all over the camper, in the bathroom, in the bed room, over the chairs, hanging everywhere, because .... IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE!

Well, with the dryer on board, simply toss all that stuff right in the dryer and forget it. 1 hour later, all dry! Ready for more wear.

And don't forget those wet bathing suits. Oh ... burrr..... You take off the wet bathing suit when you return from swimming. An hour later you plan on going swimming again. You reach for that wet suit and .... OH! UUH! GOLLY GEEZE! ARK! .... that thing is cold! Solution.... as soon as you get back from swimming, take off that suit and toss it in the dryer immediately. No dripping on the floor, it dries nice and WARM and an hour later when you decide to go swimming again... instead of the Antarctic shock, you get the Jamaican sunshine warmth!
Old 02-21-2023, 10:48 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswcamping View Post
So don’t get the combo unit? That’s what they suggested. I’m not stacking. Doesn’t combo mean just a washer and dryer package?

Quote:
Why disappointed?

A combo unit is a washer/dryer in one unit. VERY slow and can only hold a small amount of clothes. I've not owned one but when I told a salesman that's what I wanted in the new trailer he warned me not to. He lived in his RV on site at the dealership and he used the combo unit (non vented). He said the clothes would not come out completely dry in any reasonable amount of time so he had to lay them out around the trailer and they were always very wrinkled. Everyone I've spoken to about them tells the same story. I believe I've read a couple of posts where an owner was happy with them but not many at all = disappointment.

IIRC from looking at the walkthrough of your trailer it's set up for single units on each end of the closet so don't know that a stackable would work anyway.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:53 AM   #11
Jswcamping

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Combo unit is very small capacity, think 1 pr of jeans, and takes FOREVER to dry. They probably wants you to buy non vented? Basically no work for them.
Actually they went straight to the vented combo. I got home and said I don’t want a combo. My brain was thinking “combo” like i was getting a better price for two but then I realized it was an all-in-one. So we will be dialoging with them about two pieces. Vented.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:02 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

They (the dealer's sales rep) likely was looking more at profit than at helping you be satisfied...

First, installing "ONE" unit takes less hours, less carpentry to modify and less expense for the dealership. That means more profit for them.

Second, installing "TWO" units, whether positioned side by side or stacked on top of each other, takes more hours to fit into the trailer space, more carpentry and more expense for the dealership. That means LESS profit for them...

Then, there's the supply and demand from their distributor. The "all in one" units are not as popular, so the distributor likely has some that have been sitting for a while and may be offering the dealership a reduced price to move the old merchandise.... They win again and if they charge you full price, they win another one.....

You'll be much happier with two units, even though it means taking the wet clothing out of the washer and putting them in the dryer.... Like most other "convenience appliances" if it does more than one thing, it's a "combo unit" and likely doesn't do either function as well as a dedicated unit... Plus, when one part breaks, the whole machine is down for repair.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:09 PM   #13
Jswcamping

Oh for sure I want two units. However, they quoted me $3200 for the units including install. Yikes. I think I will wait…
Old 02-21-2023, 01:26 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Camping World currently has the Splendide stackable washer and dryer for $1819.66. They list the washer for 990 and the dryer for 765. That comes to 1765 for the pair. Then, the "stacking hardware kit" is another 64.66, bringing the total to 1819.66 (same as buying the bundle)...

If your trailer does not require stacking them (some trailers use both sides of the front closet or a space in the bedroom slide for "side by side placement" while other trailers only have space for a stacking pair), then you could buy the separate units and save the price of the hardware kit.

So, apparently they are charging you $1380 for installation.

Something to consider: If you do buy them with the trailer AND roll the purchase price into the trailer sale, then you'll be paying whatever your interest rate for the total number of years financed for the washer/dryer. That interest could "eat away at your savings" over just buying it separately at a later date and, after getting the trailer, you'll have time to shop around for a better buy on the washer/dryer and may find an RV repairman or service center that will install it for less than your current dealer is quoting. And, you won't be paying interest on the washer/dryer for the next 12 years (or whatever your financing contract is for.....

Here's the CW link for pricing: https://www.campingworld.com/splendi...-133710PS.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Oh for sure I want two units. However, they quoted me $3200 for the units including install. Yikes. I think I will wait…

You're getting zinged. I paid 16xx for the set installed. I realize it's been over 2 years but 3200? Use the numbers John gave you for the units and then ask about that difference. With them being separate installation will be quicker and easier - almost plug and play except for the floor mounts and dryer vent. Tell them 4 hours is more than enough to install them (I think I paid 2 hours). At 150 that would be 600. Put the 'ol squeeze on them....and tell them if they want to sell a trailer they need to this, this and this. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #16
Jswcamping

Ok maybe I will do that now. 😂
Old 04-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #17
Steve.Deni

Washer and Dryer Units

Has anyone put the stackable units in a Residence 40LOFT? Ours is being delivered next week and I am thinking I will be spending most of the summer there so having laundry will be very useful.
If you have what units did you go with?
Steve.Deni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:27 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Splendide is the choice of a majority of RV manufacturers.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:31 AM   #19
Steve.Deni

I noticed that. I was just wondering if anyone had used anything else.
Steve.Deni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:38 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Camping world shows a different brand for about $1K more. I can say in all my years of being a tech, I’ve only had to replace 1 dryer that wouldn’t get hot.

Tags
washer