Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Rick!

Low point drain no work

Hello! Fixing to get single digits here in Texas lol! I got most of the water out of my camper a 2009 Outback, but when I turn the valve on the freshwater low point drain I just get a couple of drips and nothing more. It might be clogged can I detach it higher up? Is there a strategy for this? Don't want that part to freeze obviously.
Rick! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
UKLimey

If opening low point drains make sure that you have all faucets etc open in the trailer. That eliminates any vacuum.

However, that is unlikely to drain all the water anyway Your best methods are to either blow the lines out with compressed air (keep under 40lbs pressure) or pump RV antifreeze through the lines using the water pump. Also make sure you drain your hot water tank!
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
HouseMouse

Check for Muddobbers in the drain line end.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
dutchmensport

I never had any issues with the low point drains on any of my previous travel trailers and everything truly drained down hill to them.

However, my current Montana High Country has a weird set-up. I had to remove the back wall of the front cargo area to see the plumbing, and when I did I was like ... OMG!

The low point "drains" actually come UP, then go horizontal level, then come back down. In the down position (in the convenience center) there are the valves for the hot and cold lines. Then the lines run through the bottom of the convenience center floor and water can run onto the ground.

When the water system is under pressure, (either water pump or city water), and I turn the valves, water spews out the end of those pipes. When there is no pressure, the only water that comes out is the small amount trapped between the horizontal section and the down section. It is NOT truly a low point drain.

In order to winterize, I either have to blow those two lines out, or I have to use the RV antifreeze. I use the RV antifreeze to winterize.

I say all of this, because if your camper's low point drains have connections in them and the pipes actually flow upward instead of downward, water will still be trapped and your lines are at risk.

You are best off to winterize with RV antifreeze. Once the "pink stuff" starts flowing, you know the water is all gone.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
UKLimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Check for Muddobbers in the drain line end.
Highly unlikely, as the screw caps are always right on the end!
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick! View Post
Hello! Fixing to get single digits here in Texas lol! I got most of the water out of my camper a 2009 Outback, but when I turn the valve on the freshwater low point drain I just get a couple of drips and nothing more. It might be clogged can I detach it higher up? Is there a strategy for this? Don't want that part to freeze obviously.
Sounds like you are talking about the fresh water tank. The low point hot and cold water lines will be close together and the freshwater tank is typically farther away by itself. If that's what you're referencing then remove the cap, blow compressed air thru it. If that's not available then go to a craft store and buy a 1/8" plastic rod and see if it's clogged with debris. If the tank isn't full it won't hurt for it to freeze as long as it has room, much like an old fashion ice cub tray.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #7
CWtheMan

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...terize-your-rv
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Are you sure it's the FW drain? My last 5er had the FW vent plumbed underneath sticking out along with the tank drain & low point drains, the low points had valves, the other 2 did not.
Also are you looking at the tank level sensor in the cabinet to determine there's water in the tank? If so it's a very good possibility it's wrong. The black & grey sensors are notorious for being absolutely useless for any accurate tank levels.
I'd leave it drain open so if it did freeze it possibility wouldn't break antlything. If you do have a bit of water in the tank if it does freeze it won't harm anything as it should have plenty of expansion room in a relatively empty tank. I'd be more concerned with water lines than the tanks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:26 PM   #9
Mikelff

I live in North Texas. I blow out my waterlines, including all drains. Air VOLUME, not especially pressure is what you need. (I do 45 psi) Then put about 1/2 gal of the pink stuff in each of your tanks. NOT your hot water tank. I don’t put it in my fresh water tank either. Takes forever to get that taste out of the water in the spring if you use your fresh tank for drinking water. I don’t. Bypass it. Just let it drain well. Run your water pump a few seconds to get all the water out of it. Then put in enough pink stuff in all the P traps to winterize them. You’re done. Easy peasy. Any water that might be left and freezes won’t do any damage. We are talking about minuscule amounts of water. Easy to re winterize if I go camping during the winter. Never had any issues.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #10
Rick!

I blew out each water line separately and hopefully got them mostly clear. I put pink stuff in the p-traps and a good amount in the blackwater tank. It got down to 8° with a wind chill well below zero. Going to head out tomorrow and see if there was any damage. Still not sure about that freshwater low point drip with a valve. Definitely left it open though.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I blew out each water line separately and hopefully got them mostly clear. I put pink stuff in the p-traps and a good amount in the blackwater tank. It got down to 8° with a wind chill well below zero. Going to head out tomorrow and see if there was any damage. Still not sure about that freshwater low point drip with a valve. Definitely left it open though.
Rick, I live around the corner from you in Medina County up by the lake. I blew out the lines, drained my hot water heater, added anti-freeze to the P traps and ran a 1500W portable heater in the cabin with the doors to the sink and bathroom sink open as well as the room where the toilet and shower are located. I had no water in the fresh water tank. When it got its coldest, I was curious (was about 0F wind chill) I found the little heater kept the inside above 40F. I have an old Cougar and it is not well insulated and has to plastic or underside heat vents.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:54 PM   #12
Rick!

I did almost the same as you. However, my camper is boondocked with no electricity. And 100 miles away. I made sure there was heat for the 3 days of intense cold. My camper heater is on the fritz, and I have been running my Olympic wave propane heater(s) when staying out there. Roof vents open and 2 CO detectors. Never a CO reading higher than 0. So, I risked it and ran a heater on low, with reflective insulation panels under, above, and around to prevent excess heated surfaces. 35 degrees outside when I returned 80 hours later, and heater still running with indoor temp of 72. I half expect a knock at my door and an arrest warrant from the radiant heater police...
Old 12-31-2022, 08:23 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I did almost the same as you. However, my camper is boondocked with no electricity. And 100 miles away. I made sure there was heat for the 3 days of intense cold. My camper heater is on the fritz, and I have been running my Olympic wave propane heater(s) when staying out there. Roof vents open and 2 CO detectors. Never a CO reading higher than 0. So, I risked it and ran a heater on low, with reflective insulation panels under, above, and around to prevent excess heated surfaces. 35 degrees outside when I returned 80 hours later, and heater still running with indoor temp of 72. I half expect a knock at my door and an arrest warrant from the radiant heater police...
Propane heaters have been discussed on this forum in the past. Some of them claim they don't need to be vented but many of the smarter folks were not confident regarding lack of venting. I dunno. We lost power for about 6 hours Christmas eve morning and nothing was frozen/damaged. I had a generator running down at our home so no problems there.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain