Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
DocSavage

Wireless rearview camera installation question

Hi All,
I want to install a wireless backup camera on my 2008 276RLS fifth wheel. When I removed the factory Furrion shark fin mounting bracket, there was a single wire there with a connector. I plugged the wire into an adapter that connected it to the backup camera. I didn't get a signal.

I have already installed another camera to the same wireless system and it works, so I don't think it is the wireless system.

My question is whether that prewired wire from the fifth wheel is hot? Do I need to do anything else to install, or is it plug and play? BTW, I did have the fifth wheel harnessed to the truck and the truck was running when I tested.

Thanks for your help!
DocSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Running lights must be on. Turn on the truck lights.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
Matty Rich

Also try putting truck in reverse. That’s what I had to do. I ended up putting a on/off switch at the junction box where the 7pin connections are. Now I just turn it on when towing and off when storing. As long as the switch is on, the camera is on.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
DocSavage

Good advice from both of you. I'll try that out tomorrow but right now I'm going to watch the Padres beat the Phillies in game 3 of the NLCS! (Grew up in SD). I'll report back.
Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
bsmith0404

I haven’t seen too many that are wired to the back up lights in recent years. Some of the older ones, and yours is older, were. They didn’t call them backup cameras for no reason. Most now days are wired to running lights so, as mentioned, you have to have the truck lights on. Daytime running don’t work, need the lights turned on so the trailer lights come on.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #6
DocSavage

Makes sense - much appreciated - thanks!
Old 03-05-2023, 08:43 PM   #7
DocSavage

Never really got back to post how things turned out.

The backup camera I bought on Amazon was from a company named DoHonest. I was never able to get that one to work. To their credit, DoHonest sent me a new model at no charge and I did not have to return the first camera. The new model worked like a charm.

Like others mentioned, the truck headlights must be on. I would not have known that, so your input was very much appreciated!