Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
peanut

short beds and 5th wheel hitches

I googled and read a lot when I was deciding on which 5th wheel hitch I wanted. Weight and short bed compatability were two important points for me. I believe I got both of those when I chose the Pullrite 2600. Light enough to handle and everyone said they had no issues using it with a standard bed (shortbed) truck.

First backup into my drive and I was watching - really watching - for any trailer contact with the rear of the cab. To the exclusion of anything else. I was pleased to see that at approx 70°-75° or so I still had a foot or more of space between the trailer and the back of the cab. Then I heard it. The sound of metal on metal. Ouch. What was that? The kingbox had hit the bed rail. More accurately, it had hit the track for my retractable bed cover. See the picture. The circled part is where it hit and did the damage pointed to.

I have replacement tracks coming. But lesson learned and a warning to others who may be new, like me, to 5th wheels - you need to have eyes in more than one place all the time. Now also trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to minimize any future damage if it happens again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0585.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	41826  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:42 PM   #2
Camping family

I have a short bed and also have the sliding cover. Have not had that problem. What is the distance between the bed rail and the camper. You should have between 4 n 6 inches I think. I have the puck system in my truck and use a rail which raises the hitch up some.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I googled and read a lot when I was deciding on which 5th wheel hitch I wanted. Weight and short bed compatability were two important points for me. I believe I got both of those when I chose the Pullrite 2600. Light enough to handle and everyone said they had no issues using it with a standard bed (shortbed) truck.

First backup into my drive and I was watching - really watching - for any trailer contact with the rear of the cab. To the exclusion of anything else. I was pleased to see that at approx 70°-75° or so I still had a foot or more of space between the trailer and the back of the cab. Then I heard it. The sound of metal on metal. Ouch. What was that? The kingbox had hit the bed rail. More accurately, it had hit the track for my retractable bed cover. See the picture. The circled part is where it hit and did the damage pointed to.

I have replacement tracks coming. But lesson learned and a warning to others who may be new, like me, to 5th wheels - you need to have eyes in more than one place all the time. Now also trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to minimize any future damage if it happens again.
For what it's worth: when we bought a 5th wheel, I chose the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I know, it's different than yours but bare with me. The ball had 3 height settings. When I asked the service manager which position I should use, he said to use the position that gave me two stacked fists of gap between the truck bed rail and the 5th wheel over hang. Roughly, that's about 8 inches, give or take. I don't know if you have height adjustment, but if you do, set it to a likewise gap.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:02 AM   #4
ChuckS

You can also help yourself a lot by learning how to back and keep the angle of the fifth wheel at 45 degrees or less while backing

This takes a lot of stress of the suspension system..especially those hanger brackets..

And yes, I have to back into a 90 degree drive entrance off my street that isn’t a wide street and never exceed 45 degrees

Proper setup when pulling in to back up is key

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

NO (I repeat, NO) travel trailer can achieve anywhere close to 90 degrees when backing. If the driver attempted that, he/she would crush the rear of the tow vehicle and the front corner of the trailer. It's IMPOSSIBLE to come even close to that kind of angle. While there is a difference in "process of backing" between a fifth wheel and a travel trailer and there is an additional consideration of "bed clearance under the pinbox extension" the act of backing is essentially the same...

That said, NO travel trailer owner "requires close to 90 degrees" to back into a space. It's physically impossible to do so.... So, logically, there's no need for a fifth wheel operator to "require extreme angle backing" to get into a space.

It's a "luxury" or more likely, a "shortcut because the equipment can do it". I've always believed that "taking shortcuts damages equipment or eventually leads to catostrophe"

I back from a narrow gravel road into my drive which is 90 degrees to the road and I never put the trailer at greater than about 40-45 degrees. How? By just backing, pulling forward, backing a bit more, pulling forward and then backing further.

IMO, the "glory of backing into a spot in one attempt" is not something to achieve in most situations. It's just too much stress on the trailer suspension and tires and doesn't make the weekend start any faster when you risk damaging your equipment. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
jsb5717

You may have already realized this but FWIW, hitting the side rail isn’t a short bed-long bed issue, it’s a pin box design-hitch height issue. It would have hit the side regardless of bed length.

I used an Andersen Hitch for 3 years with current 5er and SB truck and never hit the side rails. Perhaps, as suggested, it is hitch height and you need to adjust up a notch. It could also be just a one-off occurrence due to road surface angles.

I hope you get it figured out and let us know.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
jasin1

your bed cover side rail width is contributing to the problem…on ram pickups with the ram box bed they have that problem as well but unless your at an extreme angle it shouldn’t matter
Old 10-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
..........trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to minimize any future damage if it happens again.
Some questions / observations:

1) Could the king pin frame that extends below the king pin be the cause? My Road Armor does not have that and sits well above the tow vehicle bed rails and tailgate.

2) Is the fifth wheel hitch installed in the correct location in the back of the bed as that could cause the king pin to impact the tailgate? Never saw that issue in 15 years towing with a short bed truck.

3) What is your clearance between the bed rails and the trailer? My Curt hitch instructions call for a minimum of 5 1/2" and I am at 7".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King Pin.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	41832  
Old 10-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #9
bsmith0404

With the Pullrite 2600 you have a couple options for hitch set up that will change the orientation. First: the hitch has two options of how it can be attached to the ball, set it up in the rear most position, that will give you the most cab clearance. Then, since you’re tonneau cover rails reduce your available bed side clearance, set the coupler with the ball to the rear of the kingpin. You will lose some cab clearance, but it will shorten the swing of the pin box inside the truck bed and prevent the rail contact. Sounds like you have plenty of cab clearance anyway, but watch it and learn how it affects it.

Another option as other have mentioned is to raise the Pullrite up one hole, you have to remove the front cover plate to loosen the lock bolt. Obviously, doing that will raise the nose and give you additional clearance in the bed, but could also leave you nose high.

Final option, as others have eluded to, knowing that you have a clearance issue with the cover rails, don’t turn as sharp.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, hitch