Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2024, 10:26 AM   #1
wayflo

AC question

I have a 2011 cougar 246 RLS. first time camping in Arizona heat we came back to the camper after being gone most of the day to find the ac would not come on . after reading thru all the manuals I found one paragraph stating ( as best I remember ) " if the temp inside the coach is more than 10 degrees warmer than outside , the ac won't come on . Does anyone know anything about this ? That type of system won't work in Arizona heat. Is it possible to change the thermostat, or change the wiring in the ac ? any help would be appreciated.
wayflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

We have a little heat here in Texas and our A/C (Dometic Brisk 2) comes on regardless of cabin temp or outside temp. The rule of thumb is that the temp delta is about 18 degrees . It generally takes awhile to reach max cooling in the cabin. We have a portable 14.5 BTU and it and the Dometic 15K BTU will keep our cabin mid 70s F.

If your A/C isn't coming on it isn't because of the outside temperature. You might want to tell folks what type A/C you have and what type thermostat as I sure it will be asked.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:07 PM   #3
GlasNav

The circuit breaker in your distribution panel for your AC, is it turned on?

I never heard of this above 10 degree differential and it won't work!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:07 PM   #4
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayflo View Post
after reading thru all the manuals I found one paragraph stating ( as best I remember )

"if the temp inside the coach is more than 10 degrees warmer than outside , the ac won't come on
Find the exact wording in the manual and post it.

That is not right. We have arrived in our 5th wheel plenty of times where the temp inside the coach was more than 10 degrees warmer than outside.
AC still comes on.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:16 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Same with ours. When parked I can monitor in and out temp with my EasyTouch thermostat and plenty of times at home I have remotely turned on the AC with a lot more than a 10° differential.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:57 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayflo View Post
I have a 2011 cougar 246 RLS. first time camping in Arizona heat we came back to the camper after being gone most of the day to find the ac would not come on . after reading thru all the manuals I found one paragraph stating ( as best I remember ) " if the temp inside the coach is more than 10 degrees warmer than outside , the ac won't come on . Does anyone know anything about this ? That type of system won't work in Arizona heat. Is it possible to change the thermostat, or change the wiring in the ac ? any help would be appreciated.
Double check what you read and WHERE it was found in the thermostat manual... I think what you're reading is in the "differential temperature setting" and that determines what temperature the HI/LO fan speed setting changes depending on Air Conditioner operation in the AUTO mode. That setting does not affect the furnace fan speed. The furnace is a 12 VDC single speed fan motor and it does not change speed. It's either ON or OFF.

Now, years ago, when In Command first was introduced, there were some issues with the thermostat/control system not working properly. In that system, there were some "initial problems" where the In-Command would lock out the thermostat if the temperature was too high or too low. The solution (workaround fix until ASA figured it out) was to use a hair dryer or an ice bag on the thermostat to manipulate it into the "working temperature range"... Your trailer, being a 2011 model, shouldn't have any issues like that. So, I'd suspect it's the "temperature differential for the HI/LO A/C fan speed" that you read in the thermostat manual.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:05 AM   #7
wayflo

Checking

I'll check the temp differential, that sounds like it could be the problem. Thanks
wayflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:49 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Now, years ago, when In Command first was introduced, there were some issues with the thermostat/control system not working properly. In that system, there were some "initial problems" where the In-Command would lock out the thermostat if the temperature was too high or too low. The solution (workaround fix until ASA figured it out) was to use a hair dryer or an ice bag on the thermostat to manipulate it into the "working temperature range"... Your trailer, being a 2011 model, shouldn't have any issues like that. So, I'd suspect it's the "temperature differential for the HI/LO A/C fan speed" that you read in the thermostat manual.
The problem you refer to was in models around 2019. A bad Dometic gateway interface inside the A/C cavity wouldn't power up the A/C if the ambient read above 100F, or the furnace if it read below 50(?). inCommand got the blame because it was released at the same time as the bad Dometic component. Unless the gateway on the 2011 was replaced with a 2019 model, that's not the same problem.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The problem you refer to was in models around 2019. A bad Dometic gateway interface inside the A/C cavity wouldn't power up the A/C if the ambient read above 100F, or the furnace if it read below 50(?). inCommand got the blame because it was released at the same time as the bad Dometic component. Unless the gateway on the 2011 was replaced with a 2019 model, that's not the same problem.
Which is why my "next to the last sentence" reads: "Your trailer, being a 2011 model, shouldn't have any issues like that."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:50 AM   #10
LHaven

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was providing detailed symptoms of that problem and the component at fault.