Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
autismalanimal

Looking for advice on generator purchase

I have a keystone passport ultralight. 30 amp. I dont know anything about generators or motors in general. Most of our time in my RV has been spent on-grid, but I'm planning to venture into boondocking. If it were just me I'd be comfortable being fully off grid, but I have small kids and want this to be an enriching adventure, not just a struggle for survival, so im getting a generator.

I have no idea what makes a good quality engine so hoping yall can point me in the right direction. I want one that burns gas and/or propane, not just a massive backup battery, not looking for a solar panel one either, that won't work well where im at. I also want one of the full size ones that lasts 10+ hours, hoping for one that lasts longer than that. Other than that I dont know what I should be watching out for.
autismalanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Canonman

The right generator is dependant on what you want it to do.
If just camping, recharging the batteries etc. then champion makes a 2500 watt dual fuel inverter type for under $600. If you need to run the A/C or the microwave or a hairdryer then you'll need at least a 3,000 watt inverter dual fuel, but the cost will go up to about $1,000. In any case stay away from the open frame construction type generators. These are way to noisy and will drive you nuts when they are running. The inverter types run quieter and produce better power for electronics and other toys.
Once you start dry camping you'll find it opens a whole new world of camping opportunities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3023 (1).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	33856  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post

If just camping, recharging the batteries etc. then champion makes a 2500 watt dual fuel inverter type for under $600. If you need to run the A/C or the microwave or a hairdryer then you'll need at least a 3,000 watt inverter dual fuel, but the cost will go up to about $1,000. In any case stay away from the open frame construction type generators. These are way to noisy and will drive you nuts when they are running. The inverter types run quieter and produce better power for electronics and other toys.

Once you start dry camping you'll find it opens a whole new world of camping opportunities.
Thanks for the info. Beautiful picture!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The Honda eu3000 would probably answer all your needs. It is efficient, quiet and can run about 20 hours with a full fuel tank (gas). It's expensive but, it's a Honda.

We had a Honda 2000 for emergency use. It was flawless when we needed it.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...b0b39b6a86337c
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The Honda eu3000 would probably answer all your needs. It is efficient, quiet and can run about 20 hours with a full fuel tank (gas). It's expensive but, it's a Honda.

We had a Honda 2000 for emergency use. It was flawless when we needed it.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...b0b39b6a86337c
That looks great but unfortunately definitely out of the budget
Old 05-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismalanimal View Post
That looks great but unfortunately definitely out of the budget

I think it would be beneficial for you to state your budget. Gen sets can run the gamut on prices, your price will narrow it down; save you time and posters trying to guess your needs time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think it would be beneficial for you to state your budget. Gen sets can run the gamut on prices, your price will narrow it down; save you time and posters trying to guess your needs time.
Probably $500-$1000
Old 05-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Your wants and money are going to hit a problem. Maybe research the many brands/types/costs of gen sets to get a feel. Your cost expectation will probably be an issue. You also need to determine exactly WHAT your priorities are for the generator.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Lowe's had the Champion 2500/1850 watt "suitcase" inverter generator listed at $479. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...tor/1002986704 I have two "previous models" (2000/1700 watt) Champion generators that are 8 years old and still start on the first or second pull nearly every startup.

If you or a relative are a veteran, Lowe's offers a 10% veteran's discount.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your wants and money are going to hit a problem. Maybe research the many brands/types/costs of gen sets to get a feel. Your cost expectation will probably be an issue. You also need to determine exactly WHAT your priorities are for the generator.
I just need to be able to keep my battery charged and run a 1000W space heater if it gets in the 40s or lower, maybe watch a movie in the evening. I also have e a 300W space heater, which takes longer to heat the space but it works, so I can go even lower. I'm gonna be in a temperate climate, so I dont need to run the AC, and I dont really use other high wattage devices like the microwave or blow-dryer. I'll admit I dont have a great understanding of electricity, but the one the first poster recommended produces 1850 running watts and that seems sufficient for my needs.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #11
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lowe's had the Champion 2500/1850 watt "suitcase" inverter generator listed at $479. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...tor/1002986704 I have two "previous models" (2000/1700 watt) Champion generators that are 8 years old and still start on the first or second pull nearly every startup.

If you or a relative are a veteran, Lowe's offers a 10% veteran's discount.
Awesome, good to know that it has lasted you. This kind looks pretty promising
Old 05-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #12
travelin texans

Check out the Predator generators online or at your local Harbor Freight. They seem to have good reviews & reasonable prices.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismalanimal View Post
I just need to be able to keep my battery charged and run a 1000W space heater if it gets in the 40s or lower, maybe watch a movie in the evening. I also have e a 300W space heater, which takes longer to heat the space but it works, so I can go even lower. I'm gonna be in a temperate climate, so I dont need to run the AC, and I dont really use other high wattage devices like the microwave or blow-dryer. I'll admit I dont have a great understanding of electricity, but the one the first poster recommended produces 1850 running watts and that seems sufficient for my needs.

Assess exactly what it is that you feel you need to operate, determine those power needs then choose a generator that fits. You wanted dual fuel so that narrows the field. By your further clarification it seems a 2500-3500 would fulfill your needs. The question then becomes in my mind, for clarification for you, do you really NEED the dual fuel?

Of course there are the Hondas (expensive) and the Champions and Predators. I've heard good about all of them with the caveat that a Honda will cost an arm and a leg. If it were me I would be concentrating on the latter for bang for the buck.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:38 AM   #14
Doubletaper

I have the Sportsman Duel Fuel inverter generator. Runs on gas or propane. I ordered it through Lowe's. 2200watt surge and 1800watt run. It is quiet and runs everything, including microwave except the A/C. But does run the fan only. They have great customer service. Looks to be in your price range. In the future you can get another and pair them together for more output. You might want to check this one out. ~doubletaper
Doubletaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
gearhead

Contrary to everything I have recommended previously, I would look at the Harbor Freight Predators. Probably best to buy the extended warranty and don't be surprised when it rolls over dead just when you need it. But, the price is right.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
NH_Bulldog

We have a Generac GP3000i. Super quiet and runs the entire camper including AC with ease. We are boondocking this weekend and standing next to mine when it’s running I can hear my brother’s Honda 2000i 100 ft away over the sound of mine. I am VERY impressed with the generac! It only weighs 60 lbs. so it’s very portable and it’s compact so it doesn’t take up a ton of space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C0A2E20C-7FFE-4E3E-B9E3-5E839726B0EC.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	33871  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #17
dutchmensport

If you are looking for a good generator that will service everything in your camper, exactly as if you were plugged into 30 amp shore power, then the Cummings Onan P4500i is really hard to beat. It come with the 30 amp RV socket, 2 - 15 amp sockets, and 2 USB sockets. It can be paired with a second to provide full 50 amp service. It's very quiet. I have 2 of them I run in parallel for my 50 amp fifth wheel, and I can carry on a normal conversation with someone standing right beside both of them running and not have to raise your voice to be heard over the noise.

They are pricy and weigh right at 100 pounds dry. They hold about 3.5 gallons of gas and can run for 18 hours on 3.4 gallons of gas. At 50% load they run for 15 hours.

For a link to the Cumming web site for this generator:
Click here.

Here's the link to the "Spec sheet?

Click here for Spec Sheet

We purchased ours a year ago for $1050. We ended up getting 2 of them, plus the pairing cable and adapter for 50 amp RV plugs for a total of $2500 through our RV dealership. Our RV dealership even set them up for us, fueled them, put the proper oil in, and gave us a 100% complete walk-through (PDI) with them. It was a fantastic experience. And I've been 100% happy with them ever since.

They do have a remote start, battery start, and pull cord start, and come with a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off all the time. It's on 2 wheels with a telescoping handle for easy movement.

And they fit in the bed of my pick-up truck with the flip top bed cover closed!

Doing a quick search on the internet, I'm finding the price to be $1169.00 everywehre:

$1169.00 plus $50 for shipping

$1169.00

$1169.00

$1169.00

I do know, you won't be disappointed with this generator. If you take care of it, it will take care of you! The initial price may be steep and you may have to wait a pay check or two to save enough to purchase it, but once you have it, you'll not regret it. You may get a lesser priced generator somewhere else and then discover it falls short... air conditioner have issues starting, or may not start at all, space heaters may not function right, and you'll be playing power management with your appliances, like plugged into a 15 amp shore power. No fun at all.

Or get the one that will handle any situation you may find yourself in, Summer or Winter, boomdocking, or needed a generator for the house when the electricity goes out and you need to keep the refrigerator and freezer running, computers, and electronics. When that happens, there is no price so great, and you'll be glad you did pay the price.

Good luck in your choice. The choice is still yours, but this is my opinion, that, and a lot of 5 star reviews for this product.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
jasin1

This is what I have.. purchased the 2 year replacement warranty also
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79F83350-364B-4EC7-AB65-34969329D28D.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	33865  
Old 06-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #19
daveinaz

We are looking into this too. Our last generator was an Onan 5500. While it worked okay, I didn’t like the maintenance associated with a gas unit, so our next one will be a dual fuel model. We looked at a lot of them, and we plan to get the Westinghouse iGen 4500DF. It sells for $950-1050, depending on where you get it. I’ll probably get it at Lowes when it’s back in stock since I can get 10% off with my military discount. It has electric start and a remote FOB so you can start it up from inside the RV.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #20
DAMILLER_SR

Don't ignore the used market, it's always nice if you find somebody else trying to get a bigger better model and wanting to let go of one that didn't quite meet their needs.
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator