Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #41
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
We had a Springdale TT stolen from a secured storage lot.

When we replace it and want to store it what options do we have to secure it so it can't be moved?

Does anyone have thoughts on suing the owners of the lot?
Suing is pointless and storage lot is not liable. Putting your rig up on the jacks and a GOOD coupler lock will help. Chains with a good lock also help but if they really want it they will get it. There is a device called a “low jack” that is used for auto’s and anything you want to track. Google it. It automatically activates with movement and cannot be easily detected. Many high end cars and other expensive pieces of equipment use them. I believe it is a monitored system and is reported to the local police as soon as it is tripped. Don’t know what the cost is but you can see if it is cost effective. The Apple tags would still be a good option. Usually these people are not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you can track your rig chances are you can recover it and catch the thieves. Don’t do this yourself. Thats what the police are for. Just make it as hard for them as you can. Keep your rig insured with a reputable company. That’s why you have insurance in the first place. Sorry you were victimized. Best of luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:02 AM   #42
fchampneys

Check out Fort Knox Locks https://ftknoxlocks.com/ for part of the solution. Also, not to be disagreeable, however, an Apple Airtag or similar tracking device is also an excellent way to keep you informed if your trailer (or anything else) has grown legs. The idea is to discourage would-be thieves from targeting your TT or 5th wheel and have them look elsewhere. Thieves are everywhere and there are plenty of them to go around. However, from a retired LEO’s perspective, most of these deranged souls will choose the path of least resistance.
2019 Honda Talon 1000X
fchampneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:13 PM   #43
BSHGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Buy a 2002 Cougar and no one will want it.
You have a point there.
A 4" battery angle grinder with a 50 cent cut off wheel from Harbor freight will defeat any and all locks in 15 seconds or less so your wasting your money on locks that will make you feel better leaving your camper alone. If you watch the Lock Picking Lawyer on you tube he can open any lock regardless of cost with a giggle key or a comb key all available on Ebay to any one to buy he even educates the thieves how to open combination locks in no time. He even says a angle grinder is your worst enemy for security. I used to worry about this theft thing to but just gave up after watching this guy prove nothing can stop an educated thief.
But the only real way to deter an RV thief from stealing your unit is to take a tire off and remove the lugs and spare tire as they will just put your spare on and go, all this while the other guy is cutting off your $200.00 dollar lock. Yes it`s a pain in the tail to put your tire back on (not really you need the practice when you have your blow out) but if your serious about it they will pass you by to the next victim.
As for suing every body wants to sue for their stupidly or personal problems now a days they know this and I`m sure you signed something relieving them of any and all costs as to theft or damage, tire off is the only way. Next they`ll start carrying spares of different sizes, then what do you do? leave the slides out if you can i guess.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #44
jasin1

A father just recovered his kids ebike the other day with an airtag..seems the police were not real interested in helping as they can’t do anything if they ask the thief “ do you have the stolen item?” ….and the thief says…… “uhhhhh….No?…”

they need a search warrant and they look at bike theft as low priority in most cases
Old 05-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #45
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23...-armored-truck
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:30 PM   #46
wiredgeorge

I once had a motorcycle lock called a Kryptonite (I think) and it came with some fancy warranty where they claimed they would give you big bucks if your bike was stolen. This is before I learned about bolt cutters and warranties.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #47
LHaven

I came across these trackers [LINK] last week, which appear to be a lot more utility grade and aimed towards the proper markets.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #48
Bill-2020

I have two fierce pet skunks in the back yard - that oughta do it.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #49
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

By any chance is one of them named “Stinky “???
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent