Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
ceasefire

2005 zep 181

Getting ready to install new toilet in the zep I am looking at taller residential models any suggestio s and hints on install . Like what I may have to change or modify.
Thanks kn advance

2005 ze 181
ceasefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Take LOTS of measurments so you can verify that a residential toilet will even fit in the space you have.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically a residential toilet will not work in a travel trailer with the black tank installed. First, the 2 gallon + water flush will fill the black tank rapidly so you'll be dumping the black tank almost every day. If you leave the black tank valve open, the solid waste being flushed probably won't flow out of the black tank and will create a "solid mound of waste" called a "poo pyramid". That can solidify and become as hard as concrete and will be almost impossible to remove from the black tank.

Most residential toilets are set 12" from the wall. Most RV toilets are set either 9" or 11" from the wall, so you may not have adequate clearance to install a true residential toilet.

If you're going to install a residential toilet, you'll do well to research how to remove the black tank and plumb the toilet directly to the sewer connection. That will essentially make the trailer "immobile" for most usage other than "full hookup camping with a sewer connection".....

If you intended to convey that you're looking at a "residential height RV toilet" then installation using the existing black tank "hole" may be possible if you have adequate clearance at the sides and behind the toilet (adequate wall clearance). You may need to change out the toilet flange if you're going from Thetford to Dometic or from some "off brand toilet" to one of the two "common brands" (Thetford/Dometic).....

Unless your trailer is "permanently set up on a seasonal site" I would not recommend a true "residential toilet".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
notanlines

What they both said!!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:09 AM   #5
Dacheedah

Dometic 320 is residential height and has a ceramic bowl and designed to work in the rv.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasefire View Post
Getting ready to install new toilet in the zep I am looking at taller residential models any suggestio s and hints on install . Like what I may have to change or modify.
Thanks kn advance

2005 ze 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacheedah View Post
Dometic 320 is residential height and has a ceramic bowl and designed to work in the rv.
My assumption is that you are referring to a RV toilet with a ceramic bowl, and not a true residential toilet.

I also would suggest a Dometic 320, as long as you have the space. That is what we have in our 2005 Copper Canyon.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:30 PM   #7
ceasefire

I guess I should have explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
My assumption is that you are referring to a RV toilet with a ceramic bowl, and not a true residential toilet.

I also would suggest a Dometic 320, as long as you have the space. That is what we have in our 2005 Copper Canyon.
This is what I meant thanks
Old 02-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I suggest you may have the world famous Thetford Aqua Magic currently. It is shaped like a pail and not suitable for a man's anatomy. I had one in my 2002 Cougar and it went almost immediately after I purchased the camper. I installed a Dometic 320 tall w/inline water shut off valve. The oval shape is much more conducive to doing what needs done.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
Pearlie

+1 on Dometic 320. We installed one in our Everest and are very happy with it. If you want something even taller than the 320, you can purchase a toilet seat that has a built-in riser. That would bring the toilet height closer to that of a handicapped toilet while keeping the functionality of the rv toilet.
Pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
DarkElf

Dometic 310

This past season I replaced the Thetford Aqua Magic II that came with my Grand Design Solitude with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are extremely happy with the Dometic. It is standard height, has a porcelain bowl and flushes with a spiral style flush very much like a residential toilet. The best upgrade I have done.
Even the 11" distance from the wall and the lag bolt location were right where I needed them to be - of course you will need to confirm that information for your camper.
The install was a breeze. A few fittings and such along with a bit of thought and all went well.
I don't care for a lot of Dometic's stuff but I love this toilet.
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #11
ceasefire

Okay finally got around to get measurements.
Bolts are 21 inches and the back of the existing toilet is just short of 5 inches from the wall. I think she will fit. Gonna get new seal and flange as I'm putting in new floor. Thanks everyone . Gonna go with the domestic 320
Old 03-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
ceasefire

Lol fat fingers 11 jnch

21 would have been huge.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:51 AM   #13
ceasefire

Okay uupdate

Since I decided to go with the domestic 320 I added another layer of Luan to the floor and water proof rubber backed plank flooring
Then I bought the new dometic floor mount and did the stainless steel to pex install. I'll post the part numbers later of the items you will need to make the conversion to half inch pex and half inch mpt toilet using stainless braided.
Thanks folks I had about a inch from back of toilet to wall . If it can fit in a 181 should fit anywhere.