Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
maccam1

Water fill issue

I have a 2018 keystone cougar ht 32rli,water connect is in a docking station,when i turned water on to city water,it filled my fresh tank,2 people told me that behind the city/fresh valve there is a check valve,that is bad,and is preventing it from switching over.Went to camping world where it was purchased from,the servive tech said that it is the water pump.He said there is no diverter
from the inlet connection to the water pump.Called keystone customer service
she said im not a tech,but its the pump.Stopped at another dealership,the service tech said it is the check valve from inlet to pump,that diverts the water
flow. the pump worked fine using the fresh water,there was not back flush,which camping world said it would come out the inlet line.
Any ideas,who do i believe???????
thanks
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your trailer is like mine, where you connect the water hose there is a lever that moves 90 degrees. One position is “city water” that supplies the trailer and the other position “tank fill” allows the water to fill the fresh tank.

When on city water, the inlet line is attached to the trailer plumbing just AFTER the water pump. There is a check valve in the pump that is supposed to stop water from filling the fresh tank.

When on tank fill, the water is routed to the fresh tank.

You may have a failed O ring in the lever and/or the check valve in the pump has failed. If you can get to the back of the lever, you can test the valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:21 AM   #3
maccam1

Thanks for the info
i believe that i will have to detach the docking station to get to the back of the lever,is this correct
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:18 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends. the rear wall of the basement, pass through may give you access.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
bobbecky

With all your valves in the proper positions and you are still filling your fresh water tank, the check valve that is built in to your water pump has failed. You either have trash in the check valve which is keeping it from closing or the valve is just bad. On some pumps, you can remove the check valve and replace it or clean it. The quickest way is to just install a new pump. Either way, you should also install a screen on the tank side of the pump which will help to prevent this problem in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/Strainer-Filt...s%2C367&sr=8-5
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
VickiA

I have the same water fill issue

My tank is filling on city water in my 2020 29bhs, so I took the blue handle off and took off the 4 screws that hold what I think is the valve. I’m attaching a picture of it to verify this is the part that needs changing. Am I on the right path? Is my other picture a correct replacement part? Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3148.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	43790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	43791  
VickiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
hazmat456

I would swap that out for an old fashioned gravity fill and eliminate any possible leaks in the future.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:25 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiA View Post
My tank is filling on city water in my 2020 29bhs, so I took the blue handle off and took off the 4 screws that hold what I think is the valve. I’m attaching a picture of it to verify this is the part that needs changing. Am I on the right path? Is my other picture a correct replacement part? Many thanks in advance.
That very well could fix your issues. Often times the O ring fails. You may be able to find a rebuild kit.

Old 05-07-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Maineiacs

I have the same model as you do - a 2018 32RLI. Each of the people you asked might be right. Some campers have a check valve that keeps water from the City feed from accidentally going into the tank. Neither you or I would know unless we take things apart because there's no documentation from Keystone. All campers have a check valve that's part of the water pump. Again, unless you can get the damned thing out from under the end table, we'll never know.

I don't currently have that problem, but if you ever find a solution, please let me know for future reference.

In your docking station you have a threaded inlet for the black tank flush. You can use an ordinary hose from wherever you're getting water or you can hook up one of the "slinky" hoses to the funny looking push on adapter for the outside water connection.

Let me know if any of this helps!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #10
LHaven

I'd be wary of buying a "Keystone Part" from an Amazon seller named "Keystone Meats."
Old 05-09-2023, 06:41 PM   #11
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
I would swap that out for an old fashioned gravity fill and eliminate any possible leaks in the future.
HA! Not if you have my gravity fill! My old $25K less Passport had a better gravity fill than my new Cougar does, hands down.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:24 AM   #12
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccam1 View Post
I have a 2018 keystone cougar ht 32rli,water connect is in a docking station,when i turned water on to city water,it filled my fresh tank,2 people told me that behind the city/fresh valve there is a check valve,that is bad,and is preventing it from switching over.Went to camping world where it was purchased from,the servive tech said that it is the water pump.He said there is no diverter
from the inlet connection to the water pump.Called keystone customer service
she said im not a tech,but its the pump.Stopped at another dealership,the service tech said it is the check valve from inlet to pump,that diverts the water
flow. the pump worked fine using the fresh water,there was not back flush,which camping world said it would come out the inlet line.
Any ideas,who do i believe???????
thanks
I don't have a lever to shift but I've had this happen on 2 occasions in 5 years. The fact that I don't use the electric pump enough could be the problem. It had something to do with the check valve not closing off. I found a video on YouTube to correct this issue. I exercise it at home so I don't have to deal with this problem at a CG. My2cents.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water