Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Stangfire

How to mount solar panels on roof for permanent setup?

Hi,

I have a 2013 Hideout 31BHS. It will be permanently setup for dry camping and never moved. I have two 100w solar panels I would like to try and put on the roof.

Some of my "neighbors" just lay them on the roof flat (not secured) and have no issues.

I have read that for my location they should be at a 50 degree angle. I can easily make a light weight wood frame to mount them to at the correct angle.

My question is how can I secure that frame to the roof? I'm afraid a strong wind off the lake could take them "sailing" if not secured.

It would be nice if I could just use a ratchet strap or something but what do I hook it to on the roof? I'm not sure I want to screw into the roof and cause any potential leaks.

Is it common to screw to the roof?

Again, this trailer will never be moved. I may remove the solar panels off the roof for the winter when it's not being used.

Thanks.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
Stangfire

This is my roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone 006.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	42492  
Old 12-26-2022, 05:21 AM   #3
seanrmz

Hello Stangfire, I am not sure if this would help but you have 2 way to instal the frame to your roof. 1 is applying silicon auto level sealant to the roof where you will drill the screws. On youtube there is a few vids.
2. if you want to mount the frame with out puncturing the roof there is this way from Tito, really good info on his YT channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
This is my roof.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:40 AM   #4
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrmz View Post
Hello Stangfire, I am not sure if this would help but you have 2 way to instal the frame to your roof. 1 is applying silicon auto level sealant to the roof where you will drill the screws. On youtube there is a few vids.
2. if you want to mount the frame with out puncturing the roof there is this way from Tito, really good info on his YT channel.

I think I watched Tito's 'no drill' video when it came out...IIRC he did it by mounting the panel's rails on the roof with some type of really strong double-sided permanent tape. It seemed to work well but his install was done on the fiberglass roof on a Class A MH. Not sure how good of an idea this would be on a TPO or EPDM trailer roof.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
Alpine Custom Upgrade

TPO Roof Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I think I watched Tito's 'no drill' video when it came out...IIRC he did it by mounting the panel's rails on the roof with some type of really strong double-sided permanent tape. It seemed to work well but his install was done on the fiberglass roof on a Class A MH. Not sure how good of an idea this would be on a TPO or EPDM trailer roof.
Not sure but I would not depend on a glue or mastic to secure a panel to the roof membrane and trust a hard wind not to pull it off and tear the roof membrane. Just my 02.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
Hi,

I have a 2013 Hideout 31BHS. It will be permanently setup for dry camping and never moved. I have two 100w solar panels I would like to try and put on the roof.

Some of my "neighbors" just lay them on the roof flat (not secured) and have no issues.

I have read that for my location they should be at a 50 degree angle. I can easily make a light weight wood frame to mount them to at the correct angle.

My question is how can I secure that frame to the roof? I'm afraid a strong wind off the lake could take them "sailing" if not secured.

It would be nice if I could just use a ratchet strap or something but what do I hook it to on the roof? I'm not sure I want to screw into the roof and cause any potential leaks.

Is it common to screw to the roof?

Again, this trailer will never be moved. I may remove the solar panels off the roof for the winter when it's not being used.

Thanks.

i would put four 12’ 6x6 pressure treated poles …two on each side about 4’ apart…into the ground like your building a raised deck..you can make a small wood frame connected to them just above the roof…either with a couple of 4x4s or some 2x8s…..mount the panels to the frame
Old 01-01-2023, 08:05 AM   #7
WDPatterson

Put your panels on a ground-mounted frame. It'll be easier for you to tilt them. Putting them on the roof is not only dangerous but much less effective, and will damage the roof.
Furthermore, you might consider getting panels with a higher wattage. 200 W isn't much, and it will not sustain you.
In the event that you need to do any kind of maintenance, you'll be glad you kept them on the ground. They can be elevated, on the frame, and it doesn't have to be fancy. But, you're going to need a whole lot more than 200 w. You'll need at least 800 W to sustain your furnace and refrigerator in propane mode. Do you want to be able to run a television set? Do you want to be able to run an ice maker? If you want to run the air conditioner, you're going to need storage batteries, and at least 2500 watts of panels.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #8
Shedboy

Fabricate an "H" or ladder framework out of 1 1/2" dia water or electrical pipe. If your location is amenable for wind turbine, "C" clamp turbines on the top of the vertical "H" tubes, route the wires inside the vertical tubes. Use pipe caps if no turbine desired.

Use TEE fittings to attach 1 horizontal ladder rung between the vertical tubes, below the turbine "C" clamps (or top of vertical tubes w/o turbine). Mount 2 more TEES with tubing stubs at right angels to the ladder rung. Make the length of the stubs the same length as the height of the solar panels or the next standard (of the shelf) shorter length. Put pipe "TEE"s at the end of the stubs and a 2nd ladder rung, parallel to the 1st between the EL's. Attach the solar panels to the horizontal rungs using "C" clamps with fender washers. Use a carpenters level to assure the poles are vertical. The panels will then be near 50 degrees above the horizon. Route wires through the unused TEE fitting port.

Drill a hole in the the bottom legs of the "H" to route the wires, put the legs in 5 gal paint buckets filled with concrete. Bury the buckets.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:26 PM   #9
firestation12

Before you start this project, do some research to assure if two 100 watt panels is the best choice for your project. The higher the voltage you produce from your panels will determine how many charging hours you will receive per day. One 3-4 hundred watt panel outputting 37 volts will far outperform the 2 100 watt panels. Are your panels 12 volt or 24 volt?
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:11 AM   #10
Shedboy

Higher Voltgage Panels

Agree w Firestation12. Additionally, the higher voltage will allow the use of smaller gauge wires, easier to thread in the tubes. The length of the horizontal rungs can be adjusted to accommodate more panels.

CORRECTION - The length of the stubs should be about 70% the height of the panels to get 50 degree angle.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:40 PM   #11
Balvar24

Permanent set up would be nice with a porch. Every porch needs a roof. Throw them up on the porch roof.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #12
Stangfire

Thanks everyone. Seems I forgot about this thread. I didn't get comment notifications for some reason.

I will consider everything noted. I have two 6V golf cart batteries that I will be using. The trailer will be used weekends only (3 days max). The batteries need to supply the lights and a couple phone chargers (maybe a TV for 1 movie a weekend). Everything else will be propane and I have a large generator should I need the microwave or A/C unit.

My inlaws have a similar setup but with two 12V deep cycle marine batteries. They have a single 100w panel. The batteries last the weekend and are fully charge the following weekend when they arrive. Therefore I think my two 100w panels should be sufficient.

My main concern is where and how to mount the panels. I guess I have 3 options.

-On the trailer roof
-burry a pole and make a stand
-attach them to my screened room house. It’s heavy aluminum frame with a plywood roof so that may work.

Tags
mount, roof, solar