Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
HoundDad

Best WDH

Hi everyone. Not new to pulling a trailer but have a completely new setup and wanted to get people’s opinions on the best WDH/sway control to get.
My TT is a Cougar 29RLSWE 33’. Dry wt 7800lbs GVW 9500lbs, tongue weight 900lbs. My TV is a 2023 Ford F150 Powerboost with max trailer pkg. 12500lb max towing weight and the cargo capacity is 1700lb.
I am looking at the Anderson WDH vs Equalizer vs Recurve R3 or R6. The dealer recommended the R3. I’m also open to other brands if they are better. Any information is appreciated and I apologize if this has been covered in other threads.
HoundDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:22 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDad View Post
Hi everyone. Not new to pulling a trailer but have a completely new setup and wanted to get people’s opinions on the best WDH/sway control to get.
My TT is a Cougar 29RLSWE 33’. Dry wt 7800lbs GVW 9500lbs, tongue weight 900lbs. My TV is a 2023 Ford F150 Powerboost with max trailer pkg. 12500lb max towing weight and the cargo capacity is 1700lb.
I am looking at the Anderson WDH vs Equalizer vs Recurve R3 or R6. The dealer recommended the R3. I’m also open to other brands if they are better. Any information is appreciated and I apologize if this has been covered in other threads.
I have essentially the same trailer and can speak to the quality and effectiveness of the Equal-i-Zer. No experience with the Andersen.

Now for the rest of the story. I don't know the payload capacity on your F150 (check the yellow/white/black sticker on your driver's side door), but notice that I currently tow with an F350. This is because I was nearly maxed out with 200 lbs of payload to spare (with nothing of note in the bed of the truck) and only 20 lbs to spare before overloading my rear axle. I had a max tow F150 with 1873 lbs of payload capacity. IMHO, uou will be pushing the envelope with your trailer.

Loaded up to 8500 lbs (same 9500 lb GVWR as you) I am at a scaled tongue weight of 1200 lbs, add 100 lbs for the hitch and that's 1300 lbs coming right off your payload cap. You still need to account for all occupants and gear.

Tow capacity is a pretty worthless figure when towing a travel trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. You will run out of payload capacity and likely rear axle capacity long before you can tow 12,500 lbs.

Since you already have a new truck and trailer you are likely stuck. I would ensure you have or upgrade to Load Range E LT tires. Swapping out the OEM shocks would also be a help.

Finally, as for hitch - don't let the dealer sell you a 10K model for that trailer. At my 1200 lbs of TW, I was sold a 10K and ultimately ended up with the 14K model.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:28 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As Mark observed you're going to be in one of those "I ain't got enough truck" situations if you try to actually take stuff to go camping.

Loaded weight, if like myself (previous trailer) and Mark, will put your tongue weight around the 1200lb. mark. With 1700 payload you're in a bad spot. To that 1200 add 100+/- for the hitch and you "might" have enough payload left for passengers...if there is only 2. Firewood, bikes, bbq, extra gear/people in the truck, they need to stay at home. Not good news I know but the reality of towing an RV - btdt.

That said, I would go with the Equalizer from your list. The Andersen is fairly new to the market (a few years), uses chains and poly cushions. IMO that is NOT what you need when you are towing at max weight or above.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:59 PM   #4
HoundDad

Thank you both for your help. We don’t tend to fill the truck with much when we go. The bike rack is on the back of the trailer which will help. I have already upgraded to E1 tires. I’m hoping with a good wdh and careful placement of the load we will be ok. The truck actually has an onboard scale and smart hitch so I’m hoping that will help as well.
HoundDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you both for your help. We don’t tend to fill the truck with much when we go. The bike rack is on the back of the trailer which will help. I have already upgraded to E1 tires. I’m hoping with a good wdh and careful placement of the load we will be ok. The truck actually has an onboard scale and smart hitch so I’m hoping that will help as well.
Be careful with the "onboard scale and smart hitch system"...

It's tied into the main ECU and all "out of tolerance data" is recorded until downloaded at the Ford service center using the FDRS laptop.

As "unhinged" as it may seem, if you overload your truck, the smart hitch system will likely detect it, record it and ultimately "provide Ford with a means to deny warranty claims on anything "weight related"....

It's becoming a "gotcha world" more and more every day....

As an example, about 3 years ago, I took my Polaris Slingshot to the dealer for a recall and an oil change. When I picked it up, the service manager asked me how it handled at 96 MPH. I looked at him with a puzzled look, he told me that on a specific date, in 5th gear, engine RPM's were XX and speed was recorded at 96 MPH. Even "toys" can tell on you these days.....

So, watch your "at the ragged edge loading" it may give your service manager all the evidence he needs to charge you "full price for repairs denied by warranty" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:09 AM   #6
Marinerjoe

Quote:
Hi HoundDad,

I have been using (the same) Andersen wdh since our first travel trailer. We started with a Forest River 2109s behind a 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost. We then upgraded to a Rockwood 2205s behind the same 150. Our current Cougar 26RBS started out behind the 150, but we pulled it (from VA to FL) with an almost empty truck bed and pass-through storage because of our lack of payload concerns. We now are pulling the Cougar with a F350 6.7 diesel.

The only change we’ve made with our hitch is that I got the 3” shank to use with my current truck. The trailer-side brackets, chains, and triangle plate are the same ones we bought back in 2017. Everything still works GREAT! We have NEVER experienced sway, and the 150 pulled each camper perfectly.

Our choice of the Andersen was due in large part because of the extremely light weight. We originally had a traditional HEAVY head wdh with the bars and hated the weight, grease, and noise.

If you’re not going to upgrade your truck, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the Andersen for your choice as the light weight will impact your payload restrictions the least of all weight distribution hitches out there.

We’ve already headed to FL with the Andersen this year and are rolling south again in the near future. I am SOLD on the hitch, and unequivocally recommend it to everyone, especially those who might be close on maxing out their payload.

Hope this helps,

Joe
TV: 2022 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB
Marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:04 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I don’t want to ruin anyone’s day, but I had an F150 SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost with Max Tow and 2,200 lbs. cargo capacity. I use an Eaz-Lift Trekker WDH with the 1,000/1,200 bars. I like it, easy to set up, built in sway control, and Camco customer service is great.

My Passport 240BH was pushing the limits of that truck. The GVWR of the trailer was 7,000 lbs, dry weight was 5,000 lbs and tongue weight was listed at 535 lbs.

Now to reality. My real world tongue weight is 928 lbs.(42% higher than published tongue weight). The weight of the WDH adds another 100 lbs. All-in we Cat-scaled everything at just under 1,700 lbs on the truck. To get a best guess of tongue weight before you get to a scale, multiply your trailer GVWR times 13.5% to give you a reasonably close estimate.

Despite being well within my truck specs with a safety margin, the next factor is a little harder to swallow for many; The F150, especially 2015 and newer are a nightmare towing such a long, tall and heavy load. Towing power was never an issue, that truck felt like it could move mountains. Once they went to the aluminum body, the physics changed in some way. I NEVER had a stress free towing experience with the F150. At the end of the day, my fingers hurt from gripping the wheel, my neck and shoulders were sore and I was exhausted. Some days were better than others, but it wasn’t fun or safe. I added E rated LT tires, upgraded shocks, Timbren suspension bumpers, Helwig anti-roll bar on the rear axle, shifted loads, everything I could think of, except the most obvious solution; a different truck or a smaller camper.

Just about a year ago, I found my unicorn truck on order at a local Ford dealer, it was coming in as dealer stock so I bought it before it was even built. I know it isn’t an option for everyone, but it was the best move I over made. Yes, my truck now is overkill for my camper, but it gives me options I would never had considered previously.

I hate saying this, especially if everything you have is new, but you need a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. Period. End of story.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:33 PM   #8
Balvar24

I have the Equalizer. No complaints.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:42 AM   #9
dutchmensport

The best and easiest WDH I used was the Equal-i-zer 4 point. (14,000 / 1400) on a Keystone Outback (34 feet long) travel trailer pulled by a 3500 Chevy dually diesel long bed. It was a great hitch.

However, this might not be the right one for you. I found this video on YouTube. I hope you find it helpful:

Old 03-03-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
curtiscapk

Love my EQ 4!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #11
Firefighter1406

Has anybody used the Weigh-safe Distribution Hitch? I am coming from a 29’ camper to a 35.5’ camper. Currently have a cheap weight distribution set up that was been sub par performance for the most part, but got the job done. I am worried about sway with the bigger camper. We normally camp 7-8 hrs from home and have to run highway and interstate. So i am looking for a hitch that will keep the trailer in check. Would love a Hensley Arrow but thats not in the cards.
Firefighter1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:23 PM   #12
Weldon

E4. I have 2 kids and a wife. Between 1st trip and now, you'd be amazed at the crap they can pack for a trip.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:51 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1406 View Post
Has anybody used the Weigh-safe Distribution Hitch? I am coming from a 29’ camper to a 35.5’ camper. Currently have a cheap weight distribution set up that was been sub par performance for the most part, but got the job done. I am worried about sway with the bigger camper. We normally camp 7-8 hrs from home and have to run highway and interstate. So i am looking for a hitch that will keep the trailer in check. Would love a Hensley Arrow but thats not in the cards.

Is there a reason you want the weigh safe vs the Equalizer? The Equalizer is tried, true, effective and bulletproof. The weigh safe is somewhat gimmicky and the tongue weight scale for achieving that maximum weight distribution they describe as a plus requires you to scale your trailer every time before you tow.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:04 AM   #14
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

I use the E4 as well, for last 4 years. It solved my sway issues when I pulled with my 2013 F150 EcoBoost. But because I was close to maxing out my payload weight (1330), I bought an F250 mainly for towing my TT (3300).
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:29 AM   #15
Neo1130

I'm part of the Andersen crew. Once you try it, you won't go back to anything else. It's a real game changer in all aspects of hooking up, towing comfort, weight, etc.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:48 AM   #16
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
E4. I have 2 kids and a wife. Between 1st trip and now, you'd be amazed at the crap they can pack for a trip.
Our first big trip out, I spent a couple hours behind mine unpacking before we left.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote