Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
mhobby

Rear Tire Bending Inward on Turns

I have a 2008 Keystone Freedom Lite 28' camper with tandem axles. I have noticed when making turns that the rear tire oddly bends inward and looks as though the axle is bending. The tire is also wearing on the inside of the tire making me wonder if the spindle is bent. Is it normal for the tire to bend inward when turning? It only bends in when turning left and not right. I have replaced one tire there b/c of a broken belt and believe the new one may be broken as well. Could the bending of the tire be causing this?

My wife and I were just married and are very new to camping so just wanted to check. Thanks.
mhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
f6bits

Mine does this as well. It’s normal and is the better way to handle a turn. Something has to give on a sharp turn, so the axles will pivot a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7awmqjbkstb4rv/axles.png

And congrats on the new marriage and trailer. It’s a great way to spend quality time together. Plus you get to do some team building.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
mhobby

Thanks Scott! Have you ever had a problem with the tire on the rear axle breaking a belt or wearing on the inside? Just wondering is that normal. I purchased the camper used so i'm really not sure how old the tires are so that could also be contributing to the problem.
mhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

Cogradulations on your marrage. the tire will appear to bend in on the turs and the opposite tire will bend in going the other way depends which side of the trailer your on. what your are seeing is the illusion of the wheel bending. it is the suspenssion reacting to the turn. also i the axel or spindle were bent the wheel would always be askew. check it on level ground. if you do see that a wheel is out of line then it will need to go to the dealer or a good repair shop that cand straigten the axle. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
f6bits

I’ve not had any tires come apart, and mine are the dreaded TowMax tires. I just take good care of them. Since your trailer is an ’08, the tires haven’t hit the 5 year mark which is when they should be changed even if they look good. As long as the sidewalls aren’t cracked and there aren’t other signs of damage, you should be good.

Here’s how to find the age of your tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
28Bunkhouse

Get your axle alignment checked, I had the same problem and the camber was out. Sometimes overloading can cause uneven tire wear as well.

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
KanTC

Welcome to the forum mhobby (& to the new Mrs too),
I'd suggest that you check the manufacture date on your remaining original tires & spare, and make note for your files.
The fact that your trailer is titled as an '08 model doesn't necessarily guarantee that the tires are also 2008's. For example:
if your trailer was built in late 2007, for the 2008 model year, the tires would also be 2007's (or older? Yikes!) -- you could be
even closer to that '5 yr mark' than you realize. Just an FYI.....

Enjoy your trailer, and Happy trails!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote