Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
AlCorr

"e-z" lube hubs - maintenance

My new Bullet has "e-z" lube hubs and I've never had them before. What type of grease should be used, synthetic? How often or how many miles? Do I have to pull the wheels to grease?
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
smiller

You should be very careful when using the E-Z lube feature as it is easy to overdo it and force grease past the seals and into the brake lining area. If you do use the grease fittings follow the manufacturers instructions exactly and use no more grease than they recommend. Also it's a good idea to replace the grease when servicing wheel bearings (instead of just adding to it), and if you do add you should use a grease with the same base type as the original as sometimes different types of grease are not compatible. There isn't really any way to know what's in there although if the axles are new the manufacturer can probably tell you.

For these reasons many like to re-pack wheel bearings the old fashioned way even if the hubs are equipped with EZ-lube.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Go to www.dexteraxle.com and click on the button for Resource Library. There are several dropdowns for various resources for axles, brakes, service and maintenance, parts catalogs, and service kit instruction sheets.

There is also a button for Literature where you can find even more resources including the entire Dexter maintenance manual.

E-Z Lube Hub is just one of several manuals available. There is also a chart with recommended lube products.

Anything you want or need is there.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
smiller

As an aside, after reading this bit of information from the web site listed above I wonder why the EZ-lube feature is even fitted to RV trailers? I can see its value on boat trailers where the hubs are frequently submerged, but if you have to remove the hubs every 12 month/12k miles anyway (and thus have easy access for a conventional re-pack) then what is the value of EZ-lube on an RV axle?

E-Z LUBE - What is the E-Z Lube option?

The E-Z Lube option was designed specifically for the marine application where the axles are constantly being immersed in water. This feature provides a convenient method for purging the water from the hub cavity without having to pull the hub every time. The hubs should be removed every 12 months or 12,000 miles to inspect the bearings and it is imperative to replace the seal at this time to assure that the grease does not leak out the back onto the brake linings rendering the brakes non-functional.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
You should be very careful when using the E-Z lube feature as it is easy to overdo it and force grease past the seals and into the brake lining area. If you do use the grease fittings follow the manufacturers instructions exactly and use no more grease than they recommend. Also it's a good idea to replace the grease when servicing wheel bearings (instead of just adding to it), and if you do add you should use a grease with the same base type as the original as sometimes different types of grease are not compatible. There isn't really any way to know what's in there although if the axles are new the manufacturer can probably tell you.

For these reasons many like to re-pack wheel bearings the old fashioned way even if the hubs are equipped with EZ-lube.
I contacted Dexter & asked what grease was used when my trailer axles were assembled and shipped. Dexter customer service replied by sending me a listing of all the approved brands/suppliers of lithium based grease. They could or would not tell me which grease was used on my hubs at the time of assembly. I was going to purge the wheel bearings using the E-Z lube fittings but, since I could not determine what brand of grease was used when the hubs were assembled, I opted to trust that the bearings were properly packed during assembly and will re-pack by hand at the 12 month point.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
mguay

The first fall of ownership of my unit with ez-lube axles, I greased them according to the Dexter instructions....jack up and slowly pump while spinning the wheel. The next summer I felt that my brakes were not as responsive as the previous year but blew it off as I hadn't towed it in 5 months. The second fall...just before a trip south, I decided to yank the drums and inspect everything. I'm glad I did...the seals had failed and the brakes were full of grease. I called Dexter for replacement seals and told the rep of my situation. I was six months out of warranty and the rep decided to send me 4 complete sets of replacement brakes at N/C. I didn't argue! I also figured out that there is no replacement for good old hand packing bearings. It also gives you a chance to inspect other things like springs and magnets.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
AlCorr

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like I'll hand pack the bearings.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
chuck&gail

This is our second TT with EZ-Lube. Put about 40k on first one with that feature, only 10k on new one. I pump until grease comes out around gun, slow pumps with HAND grease gun. Using Mobil synthetic grease. First time after purchase takes lots of grease, so I turn wheel while adding grease first year.

Both TT's dual axle, so every year I pull one hub so I can check brake parts, bearings, and then hand pack.

So far everything has gone great. Never had a bit of grease on brakes. Works for me.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Exsailor

as I said in my other post about axle/bearing grease, there seems to be an awful lot of tribal myth associated with these ez lube fittings. I have read my manual cover to cover and NEVER does it say to even jack up the trailer, it merely says to hand pump it in until the old grease comes out around the seal. That is how it is designed, to push out the old grease in the front as it is replaced. You would have to pump forever to put so much in there it got on the brakes. And re-pack the bearings every year? Kidding right? If those bearing are that delicate and fragile we are all in trouble. Again, if I am wrong please refer me to a valid reference that states as fact any of these stories we hear about EZ lube or bearings. I think we are over-playing this thing.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

AS always there are pros and cons to this. I pull the wheels every two years so i can check the brakes and hardware and then repack the bearings. as for every year no. in an airplane yes since they have to absorb landing loads and instant high speed rotation which our campers don't. that's just my take haven't had a problem... yet
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
as I said in my other post about axle/bearing grease, there seems to be an awful lot of tribal myth associated with these ez lube fittings. I have read my manual cover to cover and NEVER does it say to even jack up the trailer, it merely says to hand pump it in until the old grease comes out around the seal. That is how it is designed, to push out the old grease in the front as it is replaced. You would have to pump forever to put so much in there it got on the brakes. And re-pack the bearings every year? Kidding right? If those bearing are that delicate and fragile we are all in trouble. Again, if I am wrong please refer me to a valid reference that states as fact any of these stories we hear about EZ lube or bearings. I think we are over-playing this thing.
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...anual_1-12.pdf

Page 56......"While rotating the hub, pump grease slowly into the fitting. The old grease will begin to flow back around the grease gun nozzle....When new grease is observed flowing around the nozzle, remove grease gun.

And YES if you perform the service as stated in the CURRENT service manual...it will take you 1/2 a tube in each hub to flush the old grease out.

Validity....If there wasn't a problem, Dexter wouldn't be making good on these things. I'm not just talking about my situation...search other forums and you will see they have made good on lots of EZ Lube/grease on the brakes problems.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Exsailor

Point taken, I have exactly the same manual and must have glossed over the turn the hub part. I was just glad it doesn't say to manually repack the bearings. I'll wait for the brake job for that. Taking it on the road next week and want it perfect especially in the heat. Thanks

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I currently have 18 ez lube hubs and will add four more to that list by the end of the week. In all the years of operation I have never lost a bearing, I did have one wheel seal leak. On 1st servicing I pull all the hubs and fill the center void with grease reinstall hub and run a couple of pumps with air operated grease gun till I see the grease squeeze out. Then about every 5000 miles for my non water trailers I add grease just enough to see some come thru front bearing.

I do my service before storage.

Also someone mentioned using lithium grease for their wheel bearings. I cannot find anywhere that use of lithium grease for wheel bearings is recommended. Normally used for low speed operations.

NLGI#2 for everyday use and NLGI#1 for cold weather. They do make a NLGI#0 but thats for Arctic Circle type weather conditions.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #14
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy w/ Big Toys View Post
I currently have 18 ez lube hubs and will add four more to that list by the end of the week. In all the years of operation I have never lost a bearing, I did have one wheel seal leak. On 1st servicing I pull all the hubs and fill the center void with grease reinstall hub and run a couple of pumps with air operated grease gun till I see the grease squeeze out. Then about every 5000 miles for my non water trailers I add grease just enough to see some come thru front bearing.

I do my service before storage.

Also someone mentioned using lithium grease for their wheel bearings. I cannot find anywhere that use of lithium grease for wheel bearings is recommended. Normally used for low speed operations.

NLGI#2 for everyday use and NLGI#1 for cold weather. They do make a NLGI#0 but thats for Arctic Circle type weather conditions.
Although the topic is "EZ Lube Hubs" The thread is about Dexter EZ Lube axles......The same idea just differently engineered.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #15
Quiroule

You got me scarred. As I have almost 12,000 miles on, I will check my brakes and repack my bearing.

Over the years I have done many mechanical repairs: brakes, starters, alternators etc. But I must admit that I have never changed or re-packed bearings.

Do-you pack them completely full of grease?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #16
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
Although the topic is "EZ Lube Hubs" The thread is about Dexter EZ Lube axles......The same idea just differently engineered.
Sorry my bad when I said hubs.....They are the EZ Lube axles.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
You got me scarred. As I have almost 12,000 miles on, I will check my brakes and repack my bearing.

Over the years I have done many mechanical repairs: brakes, starters, alternators etc. But I must admit that I have never changed or re-packed bearings.

Do-you pack them completely full of grease?
Quiroule -

Yes. Little off topic here, but not that far. It is recommended to replace the EZ Lube rear seals at regular intervals. So ... Pull the hubs, remove the bearings. Clean off old grease from bearings and races. Inspect bearings and races for wear, nicks, etc. Replace EZ Lube seals! Put grease in palm of hand, squish bearings in palm until grease is pushed through all rollers. Reassembled and reinstall. Rotate hub and shoot in grease until see return. Mount tire. Clean hands and open beer!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
chuck&gail

Just a personal observation, Put over 70,000 miles on EZ-Lube hubs so far, and I have not yet needed to replace a rear hub grease seal, nor have I done so. Also never gotten grease on brakes.

No I do not remove rear bearings, I grease them in place, just as I've done on my cars for years (new cars don't count, they are different).

I use EZ-Lube feature on three hubs, and grease one hub by hand every year so I can check brake parts and etc. We do around 8000 miles a year.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
azlee56

You know a few years back that was my job to pack the bearings. I loved doing it. It cleans them while you are having fun playing in the grease and making it burb. Ok, I am weird.
azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Beerfix

Sorry, but I'm a "hand packer" also. On any trailer I own or maintain, boat, travel, or otherwise, I prefer to remove the wheels, inspect the brakes, spindles, seals, and repack the bearings once a year. Not only do the bearings get packed for sure, but you are also looking, touching, and observing, practicing maybe. I've found things that would have otherwise been overlooked, and possibly turned into a big deal months or days later. I've found hung up brakes, broken lug nuts, blown seals, even found a cracked rim that would have never been seen without removing the wheel. I'ts also good practice when doing maintenance at home to use the jack and tools that you travel with so you know for a fact that you have everything you need if you have to perform roadside repairs. Extreme? over the top? maybe, but so far it's kept me from having any sort of wheel/brake issues, and I've never ever had to replace a bearing or spindle on a trailer, ever.
Beerfix is offline   Reply With Quote