Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
Not sure if the photo attached but there it is. I am still confused about the hostility as well as the problem here.
Trailer gwr 5,400 lbs. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...-238ml-tr16985 Tongue weight at 13%= 700 lb. That's most likely exceeds your max hitch capacity but let's play it out.

Vehicle max load 1,390 lbs. Trailer tongue 700 + 25 for receiver and ball = 725 lbs. 1390-725=665 lbs. From that subtract the weight of the family and anything else that you place inside that wasn't there when you left the factory like snacks, drinks,toys or ent for the kids, tools, clothing, floor mats, a flashlight and yes even the cell phones and the change in the console.

That's the numbers. The numbers don't tell you how it's going to handle. That size box behind a short wheelbase suv riding on soft passenger car tires will sway, especially without a good weight distributing hitch. It's a big sail with a rather high center of gravity. I respect your past experience but it does not translate to towing a travel trailer.

The folks giving you this advice have all been in this situation and learned the hard way. It's not hostility, it's just facts and a genuine concern for your family's safety. Take it as you may and do with it what you want. We are all just trying to help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #22
flanagan

True. But planning on,

Alberta Border at BC Hwy 16 to Hwy 5
Hwy 5 to Kamloops
Kamloops (Hwy 1) to Cache Creek
Cache Creek (Hwy 1) to Hope
Hope (Hwy 1) to Vancouver.

She’ll be able to handle it. I know it seems odd but Highlanders actually pull quite well. And I’ve noticed often SUV’s feel nice towing light To medium travel trailers.
flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
flanagan

I honestly thank you. this is the type of reply I appreciate! I am novice to this, consider myself humble and open to advice.

The trailer in reality weighs less then stated online and even though it is a far trip I don’t plan on loading it to the tits. I’ll be using a curt trutrack weight distribution and sway control system (which yes I am aware adds some weight) but will still be the lesser of two evils imo.

Believe you me if it is unsafe I will not put my family in there but I do believe it can be done safely and comfortably.
flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:44 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
I honestly thank you. this is the type of reply I appreciate! I am novice to this, consider myself humble and open to advice.

The trailer in reality weighs less then stated online and even though it is a far trip I don’t plan on loading it to the tits. I’ll be using a curt trutrack weight distribution and sway control system (which yes I am aware adds some weight) but will still be the lesser of two evils imo.

Believe you me if it is unsafe I will not put my family in there but I do believe it can be done safely and comfortably.
Regardless of make, model, or size of rv any/all published/advertised weights will be much lighter than real world numbers. Typically all published numbers were arrived from rv empty weights which you will never tow it at the dry weight. The dry weight was as it rolled out the factory door, no batteries, no propane, most likely no spare tire, all this was added by the dealer. In your case with a family of four loaded for an extended trip you'll be at or very near the GVWR of that rv, figuring any less weight will only give a false sense of security.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:40 AM   #25
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

flanagan, no hostility here or from anyone else - just genuine concern. There is a LOT more to towing safely than making it go.

Spent the last while researching into the owners manual for your vehicle and Toyota, as they always do, is very long on explanations of all the foo fahs and very little on hard towing specifics. As I mentioned in a previous post, you need to look at the receiver on your Highlander, I suspect the max weight for it is 500lbs. Unibody vehicles do not like to tow nor accept the stress put on the frameless body by a weight distribution hitch well.

To safely calculate what stress you are placing on the vehicle figure approx. 700 lbs. for tongue weight and another 100 for the weight distribution hitch = 800 lbs. which alone will probably exceed your receiver rating. Then - you have a payload of 1390 so you now have 590 lbs. left.....for 4 people and all the "stuff" that they will bring and/or acquire on a long trip - ain't gonna happen. Plus we're talking about maxing out a unibody Highlander never meant to tow in the first place; it WILL NOT react well to any serious situation you encounter, which more than likely you will in that length trip. It's a no go for me or anyone else that has done this.

As far as ego, no one here is trying to be egotistical or snobby, just worried about your safety. I've been there when I was young, ignorant and arrogant. But for divine providence I wouldn't be here today doing something very similar to what you plan but I was alone - and I learned. It is NOT the way to find out what you are doing is foolish because the hand of fate may not step in to save you and yours as it did for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #27
Canonman

Welcome from Utah, USA. We love visiting and camping in western Canada.
Good luck with your traveling and camping plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3890.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	31556   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3941 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	31557  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote