Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
justplainfrank

Question easy siphon winterization system

Don't know if I am posting this in the right place. If not, someone let know so I can get this out to the area where I can get an answer.

I have a 2011 Keystone Alpine RV Fifth wheel with the "easy siphon winterization system." However, the owner's manual does not give any instructions on how to use it. I tried last night and nearly froze myself before through. I finally gave up and poured the anti-freeze in the fresh water holding tank and then pumped it through the water lines.

Can anyone tell me how this system is supposed to work? Any help appreciated.
justplainfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainfrank View Post
Don't know if I am posting this in the right place. If not, someone let know so I can get this out to the area where I can get an answer.

I have a 2011 Keystone Alpine RV Fifth wheel with the "easy siphon winterization system." However, the owner's manual does not give any instructions on how to use it. I tried last night and nearly froze myself before through. I finally gave up and poured the anti-freeze in the fresh water holding tank and then pumped it through the water lines.

Can anyone tell me how this system is supposed to work? Any help appreciated.
justplainfrank, Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to this forum so that hopefully you will get more answers.
I do not have the "Easy Siphon" system but I will assume that it works like most other siphon kits. This is how the winterizing valve that I have on my Cougar works.
I remove the brass cap from the top of the valve and connect the siphon hose where the cap came from. Place the other end of the hose into a bottle of RV antifreeze all the way to the bottom. Turn the valve handle ¼ turn till it stops. Turn the bypass valve on the water heater ¼ turn to the bypass position. Turn on the water pump and it should siphon antifreeze from the bottle till it reaches pressure and shuts off. (This is when I switch to a full bottle so I don't loose siphon when it runs out) Open the farthest faucets one at a time until pink comes out starting with cold. work your way back one fixture at a time. (In my case this is lavatory sink, shower, toilet, OUTSIDE shower and finally kitchen sink. When all show pink turn off the pump and open a faucet to relieve pressure. Find your two low point drains under the trailer and open them until they run pink. Pour the remaining pink stuff equally into each drain and the toilet and you're done. Oh! remember to drain the water heater. I hope this helps and that some of the Alpine owners chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Siphon winterization

I installed my own from CW in 15 minutes. I would bet that factory installed is the same principle. Otherwise it would not be called EZ I think most instructions are "confusing". If not familiar with thiese fittings, folks may be reluctant to take off that end brass cap and screw in the siphon hose. Also, it's always harder to work when you are FREEZING YOUR A - - OFF...

Think about it when you were a kid, figuring out how to get some "cruising" gas... I'm just say'n

Of course, I am just repeating what I have heard...

You directions were SPOT ON....took me 20 minutes total AND it was that long because I drained the water heater and blew out lines before pumping pink stuff through the system.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
justplainfrank

Unhappy Easy winterization system

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
justplainfrank, Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to this forum so that hopefully you will get more answers.
I do not have the "Easy Siphon" system but I will assume that it works like most other siphon kits. This is how the winterizing valve that I have on my Cougar works.
I remove the brass cap from the top of the valve and connect the siphon hose where the cap came from. Place the other end of the hose into a bottle of RV antifreeze all the way to the bottom. Turn the valve handle ¼ turn till it stops. Turn the bypass valve on the water heater ¼ turn to the bypass position. Turn on the water pump and it should siphon antifreeze from the bottle till it reaches pressure and shuts off. (This is when I switch to a full bottle so I don't loose siphon when it runs out) Open the farthest faucets one at a time until pink comes out starting with cold. work your way back one fixture at a time. (In my case this is lavatory sink, shower, toilet, OUTSIDE shower and finally kitchen sink. When all show pink turn off the pump and open a faucet to relieve pressure. Find your two low point drains under the trailer and open them until they run pink. Pour the remaining pink stuff equally into each drain and the toilet and you're done. Oh! remember to drain the water heater. I hope this helps and that some of the Alpine owners chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, Hank
I installed the winterization system you mentioned in an earlier fifth wheel. It was no problem to put the valve in the correct position, take off the brass cap, hook up the hose, and begin the siphoning process. However, this unit supposedly has this built in. In fact, I can't even see the pump (behind a wall in storage area). This has a garden hose hook-up like the one for city water and a valve to turn into the winterization position. It did not come with any type of syphon hose. I've tried making a hose, hooking it to the port, putting one end in the anti-freeze and tuning on the pump. Does not appear to be enough suction to draw the fluid. Dealer hasn't been much help: "Sometimes you just have to prime the pum." Well, I would prime the pump if I could figure out how to get some fluid into port which is at the top in the compartment. Here it is 2012 and once again I have poured the anti-freeze into the fresh water holding tank and pumped it through the system. Didn't have to freeze my A-- off, though. I wrote Keystone last yeat, but got no response. Tried again this year and now waiting for a reply.
justplainfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
BMcCutcheon

I guess I have been pretty lucky over the past 5 years with mine. The first year I took off the compartment door and went through the hassle of connecting a hose directly to the pump and sucking the antifreeze into the system. I got tired of that real quick and began putting the unit into bypass and connecting my air compressor at 40lbs to the city water input and then going to each sink and leaving it open until the air pushed all of the water out hot/cold. The last thing I drain are the lowpoint drains. Shut the air off and open all faucets and leave the caps off the lowpoint drains. I've never had a freeze problem and save money on the Antifreeze. BTW, The Water Heater Tank gets drained manually.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote