Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
robza

coax cables in living room lost continuity

All three coax outlets for the television in the living area of my 2018 Avalance 365 MB have stopped working. They terminate in the entertainment area which is on a slide out. I have tried all connection (satellite, cable and the air antenna). I have traced the cable with a coax tester to confirm the loss of continuity. I can confirm the cable and air reach the master bedroom where the power booster is located. So I believe that somewhere in the bundle of cables that travel with the slide, the cables have been disconnected or damaged. It is possible that a cable splitter has developed a problem, I suppose. Additionally, we do not have Key TV.

So does anyone else have experience with this? Is there a common point of failure? How difficult is it to access the cable bundle that travels with the slide? Any comments?
robza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
ChuckS

Have you tried to see if there is a splinter stuffed down inside that wall where the OTA antenna power button is? There is most likely a splitter there giving you the LOS...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
rhagfo

I would be checking under that slide, to see how those coax cables deal with the in and out movement. Coax has a solid center core, which will work harden if bent too many times and break. Strange that they would all break at the same time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robza View Post
All three coax outlets for the television in the living area of my 2018 Avalance 365 MB have stopped working. They terminate in the entertainment area which is on a slide out. I have tried all connection (satellite, cable and the air antenna). I have traced the cable with a coax tester to confirm the loss of continuity. I can confirm the cable and air reach the master bedroom where the power booster is located. So I believe that somewhere in the bundle of cables that travel with the slide, the cables have been disconnected or damaged. It is possible that a cable splitter has developed a problem, I suppose. Additionally, we do not have Key TV.

So does anyone else have experience with this? Is there a common point of failure? How difficult is it to access the cable bundle that travels with the slide? Any comments?
Where did you check the cable? If you pulled the antenna booster from the wall and checked it from there to the TV outlet then my guess would be the cable has broken from flexing with the slide. Remove the cable outlets and booster plate and see if you can pull the coax out of the hole. If there's a splitter is should be accesible that way.

I doubt that all the cables in the slide failed simultaneously but rather one at a time and if you were only using the one cable that's when you found that all of them were defective. If you had no reason to use the other cables then you have no way of knowing when they failed.

Good luck with your search.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable