Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
Shaunob1

MC4 connector inverted?

Is the polarity on the MC4 connector pre-installed on Bullet Crossfire models reversed? I read that many of the pre-installed MC4 connectors on RVs come with the polarity reversed, positive to negative and negative to positive. Apparently, this lends to a proprietary solar solution. I bought a solar suitcase and an SAE to MC4 adapter. My RV is in storage at the moment so I am not able to readily access it. Thank you in advance for any information!
Shaunob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunob1 View Post
Is the polarity on the MC4 connector pre-installed on Bullet Crossfire models reversed? I read that many of the pre-installed MC4 connectors on RVs come with the polarity reversed, positive to negative and negative to positive. Apparently, this lends to a proprietary solar solution. I bought a solar suitcase and an SAE to MC4 adapter. My RV is in storage at the moment so I am not able to readily access it. Thank you in advance for any information!
Shaun
In this instance, ignore what you've heard and verify your connection yourself. It's the only safe way to approach your task. Use a digital volt meter, DVM, and determine which wire goes to your positive and negative battery terminals. I doubt the wires are "reversed" nor "proprietary". You may find you need an adapter to convert male to female or vice versa. Amazon sells everything you could need. Did you buy the SAE to MC4 adapter that comes with a gender changer on the SAE side?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
Shaunob1

Thank you!

I did buy the adapter with the male to female converter.
Shaunob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunob1 View Post
I did buy the adapter with the male to female converter.
Good. I know you said your camper is in storage, but when you can, post a picture of the wire ends on your camper that you would plug your solar panel/suitcase into. Does the suitcase have a solar charge controller built in, or does the RV have a solar charge controller, or... is the solar panel/suitcase low enough wattage that it "doesn't need" a solar charger?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote