Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
AUPANNER

Smile RV Frig - 2way

We have a 2017 Keystone Hideout 17' - we are planning a 2 month long trip and got to thinking - we would like to switch out our 2-way - shore and propane for a 3-way - Shore - Propane and 12/13v - the reason being - while on the road our propane blows out occasionally and beside I never felt comfortable leaving the propane on while en-route (accident) so we would like the new frig to work on a 12v system - so with the new frig and the TT hooked to F150 shouldnt the new 3 way frig work off the vehicle's 12 system just like the lights do? Am I missing something?

All responses graciously appreciated.
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Texas Steve

Somebody on this forum posted the other day about the 12v Dometic refrigerators and they are crazy expensive! If I remember correctly, the use quite a bit of power while in 12v mode, so you may arrive with a dead battery. I normally travel with the propane on to the fridge, as well as a lot of other folks on here, and feel it is very safe. I would spend the money on a repair tech to look at your fridge to see why it blows out (it shouldn't do that) while you travel. Good luck...and safe travels.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
nied

How about a 1000 watt inverter with an extra 12 v battery or 2 six volt batteries. Simple switch to change over from battery electric to shore power or propane.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Your TV should charge the trailer battery as you drive, if it isn’t then get that fixed. Second, IF all the food is cold and you DONT open the fridge/freezer doors, the food will stay cold for quite a few hours. Your probably going to be hard pressed to find a 3 way fridge the same size as your present fridge. All the 3 ways I have seen are significantly smaller.

If your charge line is working, and you have a decent battery(s), you could run an inverter dedicated to the refer. You’ll need to know how many watts the heating element is and size the inverter to that.

Personally I would try to figure out why the flame goes out while traveling.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
AUPANNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Somebody on this forum posted the other day about the 12v Dometic refrigerators and they are crazy expensive! If I remember correctly, the use quite a bit of power while in 12v mode, so you may arrive with a dead battery. I normally travel with the propane on to the fridge, as well as a lot of other folks on here, and feel it is very safe. I would spend the money on a repair tech to look at your fridge to see why it blows out (it shouldn't do that) while you travel. Good luck...and safe travels.
However if your Tow vehicle is running wont the batteries charge continuously?
Your running lights run off your tow vehicle while in motion?
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPANNER View Post
However if your Tow vehicle is running wont the batteries charge continuously?
Your running lights run off your tow vehicle while in motion?
The trailer running lights are powered by the Tow vehicle, there is a separate wire in the 7 way cord that charges the trailer battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote