Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
WDPatterson

When we first got our fifth wheel, I wondered what that great smell was. Turns out it was Thetford's black tank treatment.

We first used the TST Orange fragranced treatment. It did not work nearly as well, but the "orange" gets to you after a while.

So, we went back to using the Thetford Aqua-KEM Powder Fresh Toss-Ins RV Holding Tank Treatment - Toilet Deodorizer/Waste Digester/Detergent

My wife and I are full-time campers in our fifth wheel, until our house is finished. We've been at this for over two years. I can honestly tell you it's the best stuff I have ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BM65AQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_WDM.EbHGK0BR3

The powder fresh scent is by far the best.

It completely dissolves the toilet paper, (we use the Scott toilet paper for RVs) and liquefies everything to the point that it is Flowing like water when you drain your black tank.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scott-
Rapid-Dissolving-Toilet-Paper-8-Toliet-Paper-Rolls-Bath-Tissue-for-RV-Boats/892674221
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181106_141319.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	28404   Click image for larger version

Name:	5d5f5118-a800-4b8b-83db-e17162600f20.abf30bc3851362ebef6a9cfde79626eb.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	28405  
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
Kzneft

This stuff. Hated the throw-in tablets, and I tell you, once your black tank starts to stink it will drive you out of your RV, especially in summer. This stuff works great.
Attached Images

Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #23
Dblkco

I’m getting some of that tomorrow thanks!!!
Dblkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
oldmanbill

With all full respect I have to say this, if you are having sewage smell in your trailer, you may have to use chemicals temporarily but you need to find the problem with your system and fix the cause. All sewage stinks, your system is designed to keep the smell out of your trailer, your system is broken!
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #25
notanlines

All the replies aside, what old man Bill said sums it up. If you can smell ANY tank inside, including the orange, your system is broken.
On edit: We are talking inside the RV, NOT inside the tank. The inside of the tank will smell I dont care what you do!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Guys, guys....from a guy that was held upside down inside of a homemade cesspool as a child, I can assure you, promise you that crap stored in a tank "stinks"- no matter whether in the outside cesspool cistern or in the tank of your RV. If there are any doubts, please take a dump, flush the toilet then immediately put your head in the toilet with the valve open...IF you don't smell some "stuff" either your nose is "gone" or you have one heck of an RV (which doesn't exist in my experience).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:20 AM   #27
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbill View Post
With all full respect I have to say this, if you are having sewage smell in your trailer, you may have to use chemicals temporarily but you need to find the problem with your system and fix the cause. All sewage stinks, your system is designed to keep the smell out of your trailer, your system is broken!
perfectly said. maybe the seal on the valve is worn - does the bowl hold water?
Old 07-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

The only time we smell "stuff" inside the trailer is when we forget to turn off the bathroom exhaust fan and flush. Otherwise, no odor inside. Now, if the black tank is "full or close to full" if you're downwind of the tank roof vent, you might get a whiff of what's being vented out the vent stack. Otherwise, no odor except when at the dump station or when pulling the valves to dump the tanks. If your "inside odor is always there, either change your diet or carefully inspect your trailer plumbing, something isn't like it's supposed to be.....

As for "sensibilities of the nose"... If you've ever walked into a busy restroom and not "endured the guy in the last stall as you quickly do #1 while holding your breath" then you've never stopped at a rest area on any interstate... In many places in Michigan, those rest areas along secondary roads are actually "vault toilets" (outhouses with a tank under them that gets pumped out when full) so if you're traveling in this area, plan a "full nasal assault at every pit stop"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

The other possibility for interior odor is how you flush the toilet. If you have the bathroom fan running and stand there with the toilet flapper open while letting the water slowly flush the contents down then that will add to the odorous experience.

Unlike the toilet in your house you do not have a gallon and a half of water at the ready to flush the toilet. There also is not a toilet "trap" to keep the waste gases from coming back into the toilet.

When ready to flush, turn off the fan, push the flush handle or foot pedal about 1/2 the way down to add water to the bowl and when a "sufficient" amount of water has been added press the flush device the rest of the way to quickly flush the contents. This will result in a minimal amount of time that the toilet flapper will be opened.

If you have "constant" odors from the tank inside the trailer then something is wrong.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

We leave a water in the bowl perhaps 8-10", fan on, flush and then refill with 8-10" of water. The black tank has a vent on the camper top. If it is obstructed, venting won't happen and you get stink. We bought one of those wonder chem powders and my wife uses it now and again for reasons I haven't been able to discern but she likely has a more sensitive nose than I do....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
Northofu1

Adding piranha might come back to bite you on the as s.
Sorry, Jim is napping right now.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We leave a water in the bowl perhaps 8-10", fan on, flush and then refill with 8-10" of water. The black tank has a vent on the camper top. If it is obstructed, venting won't happen and you get stink. We bought one of those wonder chem powders and my wife uses it now and again for reasons I haven't been able to discern but she likely has a more sensitive nose than I do....
8-10" of water? And Houston said "We have splashdown!".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #33
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Adding piranha might come back to bite you on the as s.
Sorry, Jim is napping right now.
I can see that this thread is headed for the executioner if we don't change our ways!
And to insure that we are headed even further downstream without a 'scooper'
I will tell you I'm headed for my second Yuengling Lager and hoping for an invite to somebody's grill and campfire tonight.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #34
Papa Smurf 54

trbowlin.com bio geo method

I have been using the trbowlin.com bio geo method for about a year on all my waste holding tanks for a little over a year, and wow, how well it works for tank and sensor systems cleaning. Using Dawn original dish soap, Zep CiITRUS DEGREASER & CLEANER, and 20 MULE TEAM Borax DETERGENT BOOSTER, my tanks have never been cleaner, and also order free as they now are using the BIO GEO METHOD. I just saw another YouTube video from him, and he is offering a free printable instruction manual/sheets copy. I have not used any other cleaning/order preventative method since T R BOWLIN'S BIO GEO METHOD, and it is less costly, and better for your systems, and the environment. Hope this helps.
Papa Smurf 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #35
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
We use plenty of Dihydrogen monoxide.
Someone took a petition to a college campus listing Dihydrogen monoxide to ban it's use to protect the environment. Students eagerly signed it.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #36
notanlines

On edit: looks like I have been taken....not the first time! Better to take it down!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Dihydrogen Monoxide

When you break it down:

Di (2) hydrogen Mono (1) oxide (oxygen)

That means, 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecule

Same as H2O

The internet is "filled with parody websites" (think waste material from a male bovine).... Yet another reason not to believe everything you read on the internet, like using Dr Tichner's to sanitize your water system or using windshield washer fluid to replace RV antifreeze....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #38
Ckdrumm

I have used many products over the past couple of years. Most recently someone recommended the HAPPY CAMPERS holding tank treatment. Worked the best. Saw results after the first treatment, odors completely gone and sensors working like a charm. Absolutely no complaints from me.
Ckdrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #39
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jim, I don't believe I had actually ever heard of Dihydrogen Monoxide. When I went to our friend Google, this site popped right up. I'm still not sure what this stuff is, but they make some pretty wild claims about its uses and how common and dangerous it is.
https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
And I just discovered my children are feeding this stuff to our Grandchildren!!!
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #40
dutchmensport

Considering you are stationary and not mobile at the moment, you might try a toilet wand (if you don't have a tank flusher) and rinse the black tank out real well. Just attach to a garden hose, shove it down the toilet, flip the lever and let the water fly in the tank. Wiggle the wand around as much as the hole in your toilet will let you. This will pulverize anything hanging around (literally).

After a good toilet wand flush, just follow up by adding some Dawn dishwashing liquid. Or, when you do dishes, keep the dish water in a sink pan and dump it down the toilet. The dishwashing soap will help wash the tank. If you add dishwashing liquid every time your tank will be cleaner.

Tags
black tank, tank