Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
busterbrown

Recommendation for DC water pump

The current pump is operating okay, just obnoxiously loud. It's a Flojet pump with the quick disconnect fittings. Since dewinterizing, I have noticed that when the pump turns during water use, the length of time that the pump takes to pressurize the lines (after the water faucet is turned off) has increased by maybe 2 seconds. That doesn't sound like much, but when you're listening to a noisy pump cycle on and off when someone is washing dishes or brushing their teeth as they cycle the faucet on and off, the thought of becoming OCD becomes very real. LOL

I want to replace the pump with a quieter model, that will also equalize pressures quicker. Should I stick with a Flojet model or move over to a Shurflo or Seaflo variety? I think all the Shurflo's have threaded connections for the Pex lines, right? Someone recently posted an upgrade to a Shurflo 4008 pump. Had excellent results with increased water pressure and noise reduction. I found this one on Amazon.com for around $80. Looks like this one is a 3.0 GPM increase over the Flojet's 2.9 GPM flow rate. Opinions appreciated as our next 'electric' only trip is this Thursday and would like to install it by then.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Shurflo makes some awesome pumps. With that said, it's also how you mount it that can determine how noisy it is. Pay attention to the pex lines, and if they are close to any structure, will vibrate and make it real loud.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
slow

Recommendation for DC water pump

I too got tired of the noise form the Flojet pump that came with our TT. It was still working fine, but even with a hose silencer kit, additional soft mounts and sound proofing the cavity next to the bed, it was still enough to wake me at night if someone flushed the toilet. (My previous upgraded Flojet install is in this album: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=709)

I replaced the Flojet with the Shurflo 4008-101-E65 reusing the Shurflo hose silencer kit and mounting the Shurflo directly to the floor without additional soft mounts. The real test will be next weekend, but it does sound quieter than the Flojet during testing. One change I did make was orientate the pump so the hose to the inlet and outlet were straight whereas the Flojet had elbows. I thought it would only help make it quieter.

I added foam tube wrap in various locations where the hoses could touch each other or the floor/wall after these pictures were taken.

As for pressure it develops, I measured a max of 50 psi although the claim is 55 psi. Flow at the faucets seemed a little better than with the Flojet, but not like a residential faucet with a city supply. Certainly good enough for a TT.

BTW: I also installed a Shurflo strainer PN 255-313 on the inlet of the pump. Note that many descriptions for the strainer outlet thread are incorrect for this specific strainer. This strainer has a 1/2" NPS-M inlet that you attached the straight swivel 1/2" barb fitting supplied with the pump that your fresh water tank hose connects to. The outlet end of the strainer is actually a 1/2" NPS-F (not M) that allows the strainer to be mounted directly to the pump.

Being in Canada, it was cheaper for me to buy local. But when checking for best price, this is the best I found for those in the USA before shipping: http://www.easternmarine.com/shurflo...p-4008-101-e65
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I too got tired of the noise form the Flojet pump that came with our TT. It was still working fine, but even with a hose silencer kit, additional soft mounts and sound proofing the cavity next to the bed, it was still enough to wake me at night if someone flushed the toilet. (My previous upgraded Flojet install is in this album: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=709)

I replaced the Flojet with the Shurflo 4008-101-E65 reusing the Shurflo hose silencer kit and mounting the Shurflo directly to the floor without additional soft mounts. The real test will be next weekend, but it does sound quieter than the Flojet during testing. One change I did make was orientate the pump so the hose to the inlet and outlet were straight whereas the Flojet had elbows. I thought it would only help make it quieter.

I added foam tube wrap in various locations where the hoses could touch each other or the floor/wall after these pictures were taken.

As for pressure it develops, I measured a max of 50 psi although the claim is 55 psi. Flow at the faucets seemed a little better than with the Flojet, but not like a residential faucet with a city supply. Certainly good enough for a TT.

BTW: I also installed a Shurflo strainer PN 255-313 on the inlet of the pump. Note that many descriptions for the strainer outlet thread are incorrect for this specific strainer. This strainer has a 1/2" NPS-M inlet that you attached the straight swivel 1/2" barb fitting supplied with the pump that your fresh water tank hose connects to. The outlet end of the strainer is actually a 1/2" NPS-F (not M) that allows the strainer to be mounted directly to the pump.

Being in Canada, it was cheaper for me to buy local. But when checking for best price, this is the best I found for those in the USA before shipping: http://www.easternmarine.com/shurflo...p-4008-101-e65
Thanks for pics and sharing your insight on an improved installation of these Shurflo pumps. I took the leap and ordered the pump tonight. Along with it, I purchased several style connectors, a Shurflo strainer, and hose silencer kit. I've got ssome rubber mats left over to cut as a mounting base for the pump. I'll do as you did and use foam pipe insulation to help control water line vibrations. I'll also insulate the same bedside compartment with egg shell foam. Is that an accumulator mounted next to the pump? Had it reduced the number of cycles for things like a quick hand wash or dish rinse?

I also want to add a 3 way valve to the inlet line for winterization purposes. May even mod a access panel to the front side of the water pump compartment. See how much time I have before I leave on Thursday for our 2nd "electric service only" trip of the season.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully your post helps a few more people out.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:01 AM   #5
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Thanks for pics and sharing your insight on an improved installation of these Shurflo pumps. I took the leap and ordered the pump tonight. Along with it, I purchased several style connectors, a Shurflo strainer, and hose silencer kit. I've got ssome rubber mats left over to cut as a mounting base for the pump. I'll do as you did and use foam pipe insulation to help control water line vibrations. I'll also insulate the same bedside compartment with egg shell foam. Is that an accumulator mounted next to the pump? Had it reduced the number of cycles for things like a quick hand wash or dish rinse?

I also want to add a 3 way valve to the inlet line for winterization purposes. May even mod a access panel to the front side of the water pump compartment. See how much time I have before I leave on Thursday for our 2nd "electric service only" trip of the season.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully your post helps a few more people out.
Glad the info helps.

Our "front panel" of the pump box is insulated on the back side and covered with 1/2" plywood to which the accumulator is mounted. It is mounted vertically with the connectors at the lowest point so it takes no special procedure to winterize and to make pressurizing with air easy if it needs to be topped up.

As for reduction of cycling, a quick rinse does not activate the pump, but a toilet flush does still result in the pump activating. If we remember, the pump is turned off at night and the accumulator is good for a couple of flushes without the pump running.

I considered adding the valve for winterization but decided not to for two reasons. It creates the potential for an additional leak and the swivel connector is easy enough to remove to add a hose with its own swivel connector to have the pump draw antifreeze from a container.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
WaltBennett

We started with a Shurflo that was a bit loud. I added the hose kit and a rubber pad underneath it, and we could hardly tell when it was running. On one of our trips a couple of years back, we must have picked up some kind of debris (even though we've a whole house filter in the water intake) that jammed it and it stopped working. I thought it had died and picked up a Flojet from a local RV place. Even with the same hose kit and rubber pad it was like having a jack hammer under our floor! I later picked up another Surflo online of the same model and went back to it. While installing it, I found that the original one was fine - just needed a little backflow to clean it out. Now I've a spare that won't wake the dead!

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
BuxCamper

I added a thick piece of mouse pad, soft sink risers to the pump and an accumulator to my Flojet. That significantly quieted things down especially the noise transmitted through the PEX. The accumulator really cuts pump cycling down.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

My Flojet dies and I replaced it with a Shurflo. It's quieter with the same piping in place. I can still hear it and still turn it off at night, but it is better.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
dcg9381

Added a Shurflo on a prior RV also. The NEXT biggest help was by adding a 1-gallon pressure tank in the kitchen (you can get them smaller). Pressure tanks are typically used on well systems and greatly reduce the pump cycling on / off frequency... Huge improvement. No more pump running when just barely cracking a faucet handle
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Added a Shurflo on a prior RV also. The NEXT biggest help was by adding a 1-gallon pressure tank in the kitchen (you can get them smaller). Pressure tanks are typically used on well systems and greatly reduce the pump cycling on / off frequency... Huge improvement. No more pump running when just barely cracking a faucet handle
I did the same before having to replace the pump. My main thing was being able to flush the toilet at night without having the pump running. It's right next to our bed on the DW's side. IT also helped the hammering I had when flushing.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
BuxCamper

I never thought of an accumulator that big (1 gallon). But that would definitely do the trick. I've only used the small ones from ShurFlo.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
busterbrown

I thought about installing the Shurflo accumulator, but I wanted to first see (hear literally) how switching pumps and my noise/vibration reduction mods worked.

The water pump is so quiet now (in the bedside compartment) that I doubt I need the accumulator. I'm happy I won't wake during night time potty breaks from the family.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
BuxCamper

One thing the accumulator eliminates is short cycling of the pump. Every time the pump starts it pulls more power to start than when running. If you're on battery that can make a big difference.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Tags
water, water pump