Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Jasonhughes04

Water Hookup

So we had out first water catastrophe. Had just hooked up and wife went to change in the master bedroom area. She sleeps on the side next to the water hookups. Stepped onto the carpet next to the bed and her foot was soaked! Long of it was the at two 90deg elbows off the main water inlet were leaking in the weirdest spot and in a matter of minutes had soaked nearly the entire bedroom floor. It was all hidden under the half box piece built to cover the backside of the water inputs and water pump.

Upon further investigation i found all the joints to be loose and not a single one had teflon tape or plumbers paste on them. Quick trip to HD and I was back up for the trip. Now have to make permanent repairs.

What I learned...take off the boxed cover and check all your water connections, realized that you can see through the wall at the water valve location ( requires great stuff sealing), floor is open to elements under the trailer requiring sealing as well.

Hope that helps someone in the future. Please fire away any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonhughes04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Those connections probably have a cone washer inside the fitting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Murmaids

If it was under warranty, I wouldn't be a very happy customer.

Mary an Ann

(A mystical creature seen on or near the water by sailors)
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
Jetfixer03

Good info, thanks. We have a new unit and, thanks to reading posts in here, checking water connections is on the list of pre season checks. I might not have thought of that spot. That explains why that little platform is there and there isn't one on the opposite side.

Can't wait to hit the road! Electrical upgrades and other minor stuff are in full swing.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Besides checking out the rig area worked on with the tech after each appointment, when I get home I go over everything including areas not supposedly worked on to insure nothing has accidentally been changed like switches re positioned, loose connections,etc. I have found things luckily minor like battery covers not secured after they charged the batteries. Convenience center switches in odd positions, etc. I do not like surprises when it comes to the rig.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
buzzcop63

When you leave trailer, make it a habit to turn off the water supply. That way if there is a leak you will be in the trailer and be able to hear the water running. Found this tip in a book by a full timer who came back to his trailer with water running out under the door.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
BuxCamper

At least at the beginning of each season I check all of the screw on plumbing fittings for tightness including those to the faucets. They are really no different than your home ones and will loosen from vibration. It only takes a few seconds to open the cabinet door and reach under the sink. A hidden one like the city water connection is a bit harder since you have to unscrew a panel and maybe contort yourself to reach it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water