Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Smoke6

Possible shore line problem...

Hello all,

I believe my shore line has shorted.

I had it plugged in and it was working, but had to move the line a couple of feet and noticed a flat spot on the line. Upon moving it, I did not notice anything different, but later my wife told me the house breaker was tripped (on the circuit where it was plugged in).

I do have Good Sam, but my question is, would it be cheaper to fix it myself, how hard is it to do and/or can you splice this line for repair (admittedly the last option, unless it's commonly done with appropriate adapters or whatever).

This heavy gauge cable feels expensive, and I'm guessing the underside insulation would have to be pulled to fix it.
These are all assumptions, of course.

Thanks!
Smoke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
jbsmith

If you have a detachable shore power cable, you may want to check the plug where it attaches to the trailer. There have been some reported problems with these plugs not being mounted securely to the trailer. Mine was loose on our 331MKS and nearly pulled out. Moving the cable could have jostled the connection, caused a short, and tripped the breaker.

Is the cable plugged into a 30 or 50 amp power box/plug or are you using an adapter and heavy duty extension cord?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Smoke6

It is not detachable. It is a 245RB TT. You push the slack into a closed bin under the TT.
I had it plugged into a standard 110 outside outlet with an adapter.

It was only plugged in to allow battery charging and the refrigerator to run for a while, although I was going to disconnect it for winterizing.

I have absolutely no idea where it goes after entering the port on the wall of the TT. I have not had time to look at it closely.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Since you said the trailer end of the shore line is permanently attached to the trailer and you stow the cable by pushing it into a compartment, I am pretty sure your trailer and shore line are 30 amp only. The heavier 50 amp cables really can't be stuffed away like that.

Those 30 amp shorelines are pretty resilient so I think I'd like to see a picture of your "flat spot" before I offer any further suggestions. It really takes some serious effort to damage those cables.

One other question to be answered before we go any further.... Is the house circuit that you had the trailer plugged into a 15 amp circuit with a 15 amp breaker?

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6 View Post
It is not detachable. It is a 245RB TT. You push the slack into a closed bin under the TT.
I had it plugged into a standard 110 outside outlet with an adapter.

It was only plugged in to allow battery charging and the refrigerator to run for a while, although I was going to disconnect it for winterizing.

I have absolutely no idea where it goes after entering the port on the wall of the TT. I have not had time to look at it closely.
Look for an access panel (or possibly behind a removable drawer) inside the TT in the area opposite the cord access door. You should be able to gain access to a standard, metal junction box. If the cord is bad, you should have no trouble changing it out yourself. IMO, if you can change a switch in your house, you can change out the cord. However, X2 what Steve said, check the cord for continuity before you buy a new cord.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Smoke6

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The flat spot "feels" like the wires are stresses/shorted. although no burn through or what not.
I know enough to change the wiring if it is bad, only if the attachment end is in fact in a box that is easily accessible.

I will have my electrician buddy check it for continuity soon.

It is a 30 amp line, plugged in to a 110v. outlet powered in the house box by a dual-pole 50 amp breaker along with my heat pump.

I know that the HP pulls a lot of amps, but it was working fine and charging the battery with no trips for over a month before I moved the line and got a breaker trip in the house.