Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
jalciere

Need to replace black water drain valve, but my Cougar 26 SAB 5W has coroplast underb

I need to replace a leaking black water tank drain valve on my Cougar X-Lite 26 SAB 5th wheel. However, the unit has a coroplast ("Polar Package") underbelly. I can't simply unscrew the bolts holding the coroplast membrane it in place. There is an LP gas pipe preventing its removal, among other obstacles. I suppose I could cut a hole in the underbelly to make a service panel, but I really have no idea where the drain valve is located. Has anyone else run into a similar problem?
jalciere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
f6bits

Drop the coroplast from the other side. I was able to access *much* of my underbelly by removing the screws from the other three sides. If anything, it’ll at least give you a good view of where the drain is and then you’ll know where to cut. Patch it back with Gorilla Tape when you’re done cutting.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do have to cut an access port in the coroplast, only cut three sides (making a hinge) for the access the port. If possible, make the hinge on the front of the port. When done, use gorilla tape to secure the three sides. It will stay in place and cause much less problems down the road that way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalciere View Post
I need to replace a leaking black water tank drain valve on my Cougar X-Lite 26 SAB 5th wheel. However, the unit has a coroplast ("Polar Package") underbelly. I can't simply unscrew the bolts holding the coroplast membrane it in place. There is an LP gas pipe preventing its removal, among other obstacles. I suppose I could cut a hole in the underbelly to make a service panel, but I really have no idea where the drain valve is located. Has anyone else run into a similar problem?
Jalciere -

Don't worry about the gas pipe. Go to my posts about installing tank heaters, part 3a1, 3a2, and 3b. Here, this will get you started:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5843

This will tell you how I handled the gas pipe issue when I installed tank heaters. You might also want to follow part 1 & 2b of the following post:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5529

for more discussion on the Arctic/Polar/Glacier package. As Hankaye stated, and John re-affirmed, your Polar Package got you a sticker next to the RV door.

But do check out the first link. It will help you before you cut open the coroplast. And, sorry everyone, I do prefer the underbelly tape to Gorilla tape. But, that is my preference.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
jalciere

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I should be able to do what I need to do now,

-John
jalciere is offline   Reply With Quote