Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
GeekSquadOfUn

On our new Cougar 315RLS

We are very happy owners of a brand spanking new,Cougar 315RLS, made on March 21 2019. Love it, after upgrading from a 2010 Sabre 5th wheel, of the same length, but 1 less slide. Fit and finish is much, much better than expected. Happy campers.

1. Where did you install the TP holder in the bathroom?

2. I am installing Vortex II fans in the bathroom (went with a wireless wall switch, since there was no wall control) and in the bedroom (no 2nd AC).

3. Installed a few lights in front cap closet, this model has tons of lights, but none in that closet...

4. When in storage I keep a 100W solar panel plugged into that connector in the convenience centre to keep my batteries charged up.

5. I installed a 2 cartridge water filter, right next to the convenience center to better the water quality in the coach.

6. Also installed the FlowJet strainer on the water pump. Helps prolong the life of the pump. Noisy pump, but works really well.

7. I switched to 2 x 6V golf cart batteries for more power when dry camping.

8. I installed a 2K Xantrex inverter for powering some devices when dry camping, like my CPAP machine and TV.

9. I installed a small motorcycle rack on the rear hitch to carry our E-bikes.

10. I installed a Haloview rear camera, designed to install on the Furrion mount, less expensive and great picture. As an observation camera while driving, I don't particularly care for a backup camera.

11. Installed several LED lights in dark areas like under sink and cupboards, ON for 20 seconds on movement detection.

12. Installed a Wi-Fi router to provide service to my wifi gadgets like Chromecast, Firestick,TV, tablets, phones, Google Home Assistant, etc. It's hit & miss as it depends on the quality of the Wi-Fi at the park, but when it works, it's great.

13. I moved the spare tire to the underside of the coach, using BAL Hide-a-Spare.

14. Installed a classic holder on entry door, as this new Friction style door will not work in high winds areas. Not particularly fond of this door idea...
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #2
jsb5717

Congrats on the new "home" and on the personal touches that make it yours.

Yours has a very similar bathroom to ours. To answer your question, we bought a self-adhesive TP holder, and with the addition of a little silicone caulk, placed it inside the lower cabinet under the sink. Out of the way...easy access.

I removed the door panel, put a little of the caulk on the TP Holder plate right on the self-adhesive tape, and clamped it to the door overnight. Works great.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
7Iron

315RLS Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
We are very happy owners of a brand spanking new,Cougar 315RLS, made on March 21 2019. Love it, after upgrading from a 2010 Sabre 5th wheel, of the same length, but 1 less slide. Fit and finish is much, much better than expected. Happy campers.

13. I moved the spare tire to the underside of the coach, using BAL Hide-a-Spare.

14. Installed a classic holder on entry door, as this new Friction style door will not work in high winds areas. Not particularly fond of this door idea...
Thanks Geek ,

I also have a 315 and have been noodling moving the spare to the underside...could you send pics

The only mods that I have made so far:
1. fishing pole, boat hook, and washing pole holders in the basement
2. Hooks for elec cables in basement
3. dual water (whole house) water filters
4. Quick Disconnects on all plumping fittings
5. Haloview Camera (mine freezes occasionally...does yours?)
6. Bike rack install (not really a mod)
7. Converted my Weber QC to 5er propane (not a 5er mod)

Planned Upgrades/Mods
1. Spare to underside
2. Improve the sink gray water value...elec ??
3. Sideout toppers
4. Replicate your bathroom fan inst
5. Inst Fan-Tastic Vent Covers
6. Replace the hitch mirror
7. Flashlight holder
8. Cell signal booster Inst
9. Elec Upgrade: (I do not have a solid plan yet)
a. generator ??
b. Solar ????
c. battery upgrade

I must repair the refrig door middle seal....apparently this is a common issue with the 315RLS
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
GeekSquadOfUn

Moving the spare tire... I used this. Was an easy install.

Have a look, this is what I did.

https://youtu.be/OY8-axeEEPA
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
GeekSquadOfUn

My Haloview will freeze sometimes in slow traffic on main highways, interference I suspect. Wireless frequencies are busy these days...

But it's rock solid 99% of the time.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
GeekSquadOfUn

I'm not doing slide toppers.

I spend lots of time in windy areas, and they're very noisy, as all my friends are upset with this...

Keep that in mind.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
ajk170

Geeksquad- great youtube! my '15 Outback 316RL TT has the spare on the bumper and I've never been worried about its security but I have thought about these Bal spare tire hangars and wondered what the difficulty would be and your video totally shows how easy it is do the install as well as what not to do when pulling out the rack! That's what people need to see! Great job and thanks for taking the time to put that together!

-Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

My only recommendation (and it's strictly a personal preference) is to mount the spare tire on the BAL Hide-A-Spare rack with the valve stem on the bottom. That way you can check the tire pressure in the spare without having to unscrew the "holding knob" and lower the tire to access the valve.

One disadvantage of doing that (as I found out a couple weeks ago) is that the "holding knob" can rust in the nut and you'll need to cut the knob off the 9/16" bolt so you can break it loose and remove your spare. Some wheel bearing grease or anti-seize compound and occasionally removing the "holding knob" should prevent an "unwelcome rusted bolt" and no way to get the spare out from under the trailer....

Anyway, with the valve stem on the bottom (turning the tire over on the rack) will make for easier checks of tire pressure.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My only recommendation (and it's strictly a personal preference) is to mount the spare tire on the BAL Hide-A-Spare rack with the valve stem on the bottom. That way you can check the tire pressure in the spare without having to unscrew the "holding knob" and lower the tire to access the valve.

One disadvantage of doing that (as I found out a couple weeks ago) is that the "holding knob" can rust in the nut and you'll need to cut the knob off the 9/16" bolt so you can break it loose and remove your spare. Some wheel bearing grease or anti-seize compound and occasionally removing the "holding knob" should prevent an "unwelcome rusted bolt" and no way to get the spare out from under the trailer....

Anyway, with the valve stem on the bottom (turning the tire over on the rack) will make for easier checks of tire pressure.....
On your recommendation in another post, I did exactly that.

I also slapped grease on everything too, I know rust can be an issue. I had another tire only, and I also put it on the carrier, tied it up with bungie cords, there was room and it was taking valuable space in my storage area..
Old 08-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't done it yet, but keep "contemplating it when I can't actually do it and forgetting about it when I'm home and have the time/tools".... (in other words, procrastination)....

My plan is to put my "blue tank" on the carrier, mounted "somehow" on a couple of aluminum angles, so it's secure and out of the truck bed. I have enough room (with my 26 gallon blue tank) to mount it upside down (with the fittings pointed toward the road surface) and tie it in with a couple of light duty 1" ratchet straps through the handle so it can't blow off the rack.

But, time seems to always get in the way when I'm home and lack of tools seems to prevent it when we're at a campground.... So, it's been "left for another day" so far...... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
BobAndLinda

We use a free-standing toilet paper holder. It hold several extra rolls of paper and is easily moved for vacuuming the floors. I tried installing a toilet paper holder on the wall of our old camper and it kept getting in the way.
BobAndLinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar