Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xj View Post
Correct, 2019 25BHSWE. I cant find any detailed spec sheet on the keystone webpage that states what charger is factory installed. I can try and look when I get home.

The Costco 6volt battery sure is hated by the reviewers, any other recommendations? Or any brands to stay away from when I head to the local auto parts stores?
Your power center should be a WFCO 8955 (if your trailer is a 30 amp shore power model) and a WFCO WF 9560 (if your trailer is a 50 amp shore power model).

That means your converter produces either 55 amps at 12VDC or 60 amps at 12VDC, depending on the model.

Charging amperage is driven by two factors, first is "house power requirements are met and all remaining DC power is shunted to the charging system. The second factor is that ONLY the maximum safe charging rate is employed. In other words, if you're using 15 amps to run the "house circuits" then with a 8955, you'd have 40 amps available for battery charging. The charge rate (from 0 to 40 amps) will be sent to the battery bank depending on charge condition. Hypothetically, if your batteries are at 50% depleted, you may find the entire 40 amps applied to the batteries and as they charge, that amperage will taper to what they can safely accept without overheating, gassing or overcharging. As they approach 100% charged status, you may find the converter is providing only 1 amp to the batteries. A "quick, down and dirty" assessment of how much amperage the converter is providing is to listen for the cooling fans. The louder and higher the pitch, the more amps the converter is producing. If you're astute to your "house useage" you can listen to the fans and pretty much determine what your converter is doing.

It's all available on the WFCO website, take a look at the FAQ's and the product download information.. Electricity and battery charging with a WFCO power center isn't "magic" and understanding what's happening will give you great insight into what you need and what you have.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...f-9500-series/

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...f-8900-series/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #22
92xj

Thanks for that info!
Looks like I'll stick with the factory charger, upgrade the batteries to two 6volts and install a monitor with shunt. If that doesn't cut it, I'll add two more later on.
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

The dealer should have given you a packet of all the manuals, appliance registrations, build sheet etc. when you bought the unit.

The Trojan 6 volt batteries seem to be a popular brand.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure if all Costco stores offer the same brands or if some stores sell "regional brand items"... Here, Costco sells Interstate batteries. Their GC2 has an excellent reputation (as does the Duracell GC2 sold at Sam's Club). So, as for the comments on the Costco website, maybe they are a different brand ??? As for the Duracell GC2, I've had a pair in my fifth wheel, going on the 7th season (6 years so far) with no problems at all. I use the WFCO 8955 power center and my own battery cutoff switch, although the trailer is plugged in almost all the time during camping season and the batteries are removed from the trailer during winter storage. I keep them in the garage and put them on a 15 amp charger for an overnight charge about once a month. Otherwise, I'd consider them "maintenance free" or rather "maintenance ignored"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

If your trailer does not have all led lights inside, get them. That will save a ton of power. Miles of dirt/gravel road is bad enough on the trailer even at slow speed. I guessed just 1 weld on 1 battery bracket could fail and take out all the 12v system with the batteries dragging by the wires under the trailer. Look over the factory battery brackets and build more support. Several on here made better battery mounts than mine. Make sure they is no possible movement of the batteries once there installed. I use shorten HD ratchet straps. Before I thought bungee cords were OK. Well they might be if you never leave pavement.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #26
Rowland

What Charger Would I have

My rig is a 2006 Cougar 5th. Is my charger a 3 stage or should I replace it? If replacement is the choice what would be the best product?

Would also like to mention that all lighting should be replaced with LEDs. Makes a big difference in battery depletion.

Rowland
Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #27
92xj

All my lights are LED. My 3 biggest energy consumers cannot be replaced...a 3 year old, a 1 year old and a wife, which I guess could be replaced, but I tend to like her and will keep her around.
I've been looking and I think I have found a local place that can get the Trojan T-105 batteries. If not, I will go the Costco route.
I am hoping I see improvement with these two 6 volts over my dual factory installed 12 volts, which can't be the greatest of quality.
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, electrical, upgrade