Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Ron and Judy

Stolen camper

I read in another forum about a couple who went fishing in the morning and came back before dark to an empty camp site.... Someone hooked up their travel trailer and drove off with it, Ron and I have just bought out Keystone Springdale and I suggested that we get a hitch lock. He agreed and it came today. We installed it and now we will never come back to an empty site....
Ron and Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
rjrelander

Luckily it doesn't happen very often but if they really want a trailer, they'll just chain the entire hitch to their truck, haul it off, and deal with the hitch lock later. Unfortunately, locks only keep honest people honest. That said, we usually do use a hitch lock.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
busterbrown

Randi is completely right. Unattended trailers are great targets for any thief and no amount of physical deterrence will keep them away. One can just pray that someone else's coach next to his may be an "easier" target.

In the event that an RV owner has to experience a grand theft loss, God invented insurance to make the victim feel better quickly.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Randi is completely right. Unattended trailers are great targets for any thief and no amount of physical deterrence will keep them away. One can just pray that someone else's coach next to his may be an "easier" target.

In the event that an RV owner has to experience a grand theft loss, God invented insurance to make the victim feel better quickly.
^^^This:
Any security or law enforcement people will tell you that your best defense against theft is to make your goods harder to steal that those closest to you.

I witnessed how thieves minds work once at my workplace. We had an open plan office except for one room which was kept locked only because it had students' records in it. One night when the thieves broke in, they didn't bother trying to pick the locks on the drawers of peoples desks, they just pried the front off the drawers with a crowbar. And the locked room? They didn't even bother trying to force the door, they just kicked a hole in the Gyprock wall. The door was still locked when we got there the next morning.

All that is by way of saying that we always have a hitch lock on our trailer when we're camped. There's a video that promotes a certain type lock and it shows how the lock we use can be broken into. But a potential thief has to break into it. The other advantage of using a hitch lock is, if your trailer is stolen, you can legitimately say you did what you could to protect it if the insurance company balks at paying out.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
notanlines

Scott, I didn't care for the statement "if the insurance company balks at paying out." There is nothing in insurance policies that would EVER prevent a payoff because you didn't keep a lock on your hitch.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
KSH

I have a propride hitch on my trailer. Makes it a bit harder to steal, but nothing is impossible.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Just a few words from someone in the know. Yes, RVs like everything else we might own can get stolen. Not many do but, it does happen. Like any item with a loan they also get Repo'ed. Just human nature I guess many will not admit their vehicle got repo'ed. It takes a cop to investigate it and here tow companies must phone in 911 right away when they have procession of any vehicle for any reason. Just me, I have dealt with utility trailers, truck campers to 5th wheels that were repo'ed as the person was reporting it stolen.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote