Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
BadmanRick

Dometic air conditioning problem

I have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19 FBPR. it has a Dometic roof a/c and had a Dometic lcd thermostat.
The ac ran normally until 2016. Then it started to act up. It would cycle from high fan to lo fan all the time on automatic. Which it is supposed to do within the temperature ranges. However at night we would run the a/c on manual low speed. This worked great until 2016 when it started to do the fan cycle bit as if it was on automatic. Same thing running on manual high fan.
January 2018 Dealer Checked the A/c and changed the Thermostat to the new model capacitive touch unit. Took it home worked great when set to Auto and 80 degrees. Went camping and set thermostat to 74 degrees. Seemed to work ok on auto. However when I set it to manual low fan everything changed. Instead of just turning on and off the compressor when the temp was reached the unit shut off. Wound not turn on unless I shut it off at the breaker stitch. Ran the unit on manual high fan and it would go down to 68 degrees and not cycle the compressor on and off. Only on automatic would it shut off and on. THIS IS NOT WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO.
Took it back to Dealer they are giving me a song and dance about too humid in Florida for a/c not cycling properly. This is not acceptable. Any thoughts on what is wrong with my Air conditioning?
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the control unit in the rooftop part of the control system is not functioning properly. If it was doing it before they changed the thermostat and still doing it after they changed it out, it's not the thermostat and it's probably not the wiring connections. My guess would be the control unit "up top"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
BadmanRick

Thanks guy they changed the control unit with the new capacitive touch thermostat. They also changed the freez thermistor. Still freezes up on low fan and shuts off. Does not freez up on high fan or auto. Dealer said it’s too humid in Florida to run the ac on low fan.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The dealer is correct about running the A/C on low in a humid climate. The freeze detector can be mounted a little lower in the grates to compensate some, but ultimately, the A/C fan can't force enough air across the cooling grid to remove all the moisture and it will eventually "frost up" just like a conventional refrigerator/freezer" and need defrosting.

The solution: Run the A/C on high fan when in south Florida and it's raining outside. We found (in south Louisiana and south Texas) that at night when we weren't opening/closing the trailer door, the A/C could operate on low fan without freezing up, but during the day when we were opening the door to allow moisture into the trailer or showering which adds large amounts of water into the air, or when the humidity was excessively high, we'd almost always have icing occur when trying to run the A/C on low fan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
capnkirk4

Dometic a/c not working

In 2016 we bought a new Keystone Bullet 269RLS with a Dometic A/C. In 2017 it died with one month left on warranty. It was replaced under warranty. Shortly after there was a recall (just involved moving a few wires to its own wire nut. Having used it less than a dozen times, the first time we tried to use it this year (last week) it just blows air. I never hear the compressor come on. It is now in the shop being checked. Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so does Dometic stand behind its products?
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
capnkirk4

A/C number 3 is now installed. Dometic stood behind their product, and I am delighted!
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 AM   #7
kksfish

I wonder how Dometic would look at/handle warranty replacement if the AC were installed by the end user and not by a dealer?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
I wonder how Dometic would look at/handle warranty replacement if the AC were installed by the end user and not by a dealer?
As long as the product was within warranty time frame and the proper form filled out, I don’t think it would matter. There is a “trouble shooting” form we have to fill out when replacing an A/C or refer that involves temps and voltages/amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 AM   #9
kksfish

Thanks Chuckster.......good to know for all of us who would prefer to DIY

Tags
dometic