Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Dswallace

Dinette table /bed issues

I have a passport 2400bhwe. First time using the dinette table as a bed for my 10yr old son, it popped out several times, even considering he only weighs around 60 pounds. I noticed there is a metal bracket fixed to the underside of the table which seems to do nothing other than maybe a little added support so the table doesn't flex.

Has anyone else had an issue with this or possibly I'm doing something wrong, although it seems pretty straight forward.

Any suggestions/ remedies? Thanks.
Dswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Looking quickly at your floorplan it looks like you have the same curved front table top I had in my Bullet 220RBI. I had the same problem, the supports don't go all the way to the front of the table top when it is down so the front goes down and the back flips up when weight is too far forward. I actually broke the table top about the third time it happened. My dealer took pics of the design flaw and Keystone replaced the table top under warranty. After that I kept a cooler under the front edge with a folded towel on top to take up the rest of the space. Not ideal, but it solved the problem. Good luck.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
{tpc}

I have the same curved table. While we almost never use it as a bed, and its almost always up, I too had the same issue when "trying it out". What I did was cut small "boards" like the ones attached to the dinette seats that hold the table top in the down position, to attach on top of them, making them "bigger" so that the table top could not slide out.

I suppose the proper way to do it would have been to remove the existing wood and replace the entire strip that was there, but I decided to do it this way. I stained them to match, counter sunk the screw holes slightly and ran wood screws through them and the existing pieces every couple of inches. It has worked fine since.

I have however seen a much better way (I think) since this time. Assuming yours is like mine with the large metal supports in the middle that can be removed, take one of them to the hardware store and buy some PVC the same size as the ends. measure from inside the "hole" on top to the inside of the one on the bottom and cut the PVC to fit.

This way, when your table is in its "down" position, it will also be supported by those legs, and not just the strips of wood around the dinette. You can store either legs under one of the dinette seats.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
SteveW2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I have the same curved table. While we almost never use it as a bed, and its almost always up, I too had the same issue when "trying it out". What I did was cut small "boards" like the ones attached to the dinette seats that hold the table top in the down position, to attach on top of them, making them "bigger" so that the table top could not slide out.

I suppose the proper way to do it would have been to remove the existing wood and replace the entire strip that was there, but I decided to do it this way. I stained them to match, counter sunk the screw holes slightly and ran wood screws through them and the existing pieces every couple of inches. It has worked fine since.

I have however seen a much better way (I think) since this time. Assuming yours is like mine with the large metal supports in the middle that can be removed, take one of them to the hardware store and buy some PVC the same size as the ends. measure from inside the "hole" on top to the inside of the one on the bottom and cut the PVC to fit.

This way, when your table is in its "down" position, it will also be supported by those legs, and not just the strips of wood around the dinette. You can store either legs under one of the dinette seats.

That's a great idea! Have this problem on our 2670BH GT. The one weekend we had to use the dinette as a bed when we were at my cousin's wedding in cottage country in NB, my sister had this happen to her. It was like the weight forces the two benches apart, and down you go.

Will give the PVC trick a try!

2018 F-150 King Ranch SCrew (3.5 EB, Max Tow)
2018 Passport GT 2670BH (Using Equalizer 4 Pt)
Nova Scotia, Canada
SteveW2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Carrottop

We keep two 2" PVC pipes (cut to the lowered height) that fit inside the metal poles at night when needed remove the metal poles and the PVC pipes become shorter bed pipes that help stabilize the table. My adult daughter sleeps on it whenever she comes with us with no issue. We also bought a 3" memory foam mattress and cut it to fit the dinette area and it sure makes that bed more comfortable. We store it under the King bed when not in use.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, dinette