Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
vampress_me

Furrion/ Ford camera setup

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong area. Not sure where to put question.

We’re spec’ing out the new truck and I was interested in Ford’s new camera that you can buy and mount on the trailer. I was REALLY interested until hubby told me that it’s wired, and you have to figure out how to run the wire through the trailer then. Ugh.

The new Alpine we are looking at is set up for the Furrion camera on the back of the camper. So, does anyone know if Furrion uses the same cable to attach the camera to as the Ford camera? My tiny thought process here is that I *assume* if the camper is camera ready that would mean they already ran the cable through the camper to the front and I could plug the Ford camera into that cable to have the display on the trucks screen. Anyone with any experience with this?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Kylemcmahon1

The furrion camera is a wireless camera. Not a wired camera.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Kyle said, the Furrion camera is wireless. There is no "Keystone wired camera system". That said, I don't think the Ford camera monitoring software in the truck is compatible with the Furrion wireless system. In other words, the Furrion system from Keystone won't "talk to" the Ford system in the truck. There are patch cables and software programs that you can install to bypass or re-write the Ford software, but if this is a new truck with a new truck warranty, I'm not sure I'd want to go to that extreme and possibly jeapordize the Ford electronics support for the rest of the truck's systems.....

As a comment, I installed a RVS wired camera system in my 2015 truck (before the Ford system was offered) and installed the RVS camera to the rear of my Cougar. It wasn't that difficult to run the wiring through the rear wall, down to the floor and under the trailer to the pinbox area. Now, I've got the trailer 7 pin umbilical and the camera connector that sit side by side in the truck bed. It's a "quick connect plug" and has been "flawless" for well over 5 years.

If it were me, I'd get the Ford system, install the camera on the trailer and know that it will be a "seamless, functional system" that's supported by Ford for the first 3 years or 60,000 miles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

There is some merit to biting the bullet and installing the Ford system.

My F350 doesn't have a trailer camera option so I went with the Furrion Vision S. I installed the rear and two side cameras. I haven't had it on the road yet, but the picture is great. I can see all 3 views at once or select a view. The monitor cane be moved inside the TT and used as a motion detection based security system.

For our TT pre-wired meant that the 12 vDC was present and so was the gasket. The power switch is tied to the marker lights.

It is an extra screen in the cab of the TV, and will sit right alongside the TST507 screen.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
vampress_me

Thanks guys! I had no idea the Furrion was wireless. That sounds nice to me!

Also, it looks like from what I’m reading the Ford camera system only turns on when you are going under 5 mph. Not exactly what I was thinking of there since I would like to see what’s up behind us more often than that... So the Furrion sounds even better (well, I guess I’m assuming it will stay on constantly, not just at slow speed). So it will just eventually have sit next to our TPMS monitor. Because I don’t think I can justify a camera system I won’t be able to use at higher speeds just to get the Ford TPMS (which I would also like!), I’m already trying to justify the darn BLIS “stuff” so I can have the better headlights...

Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
slow

A backup camera is not of much value as an observation camera due to its viewing angle. Vehicles at a distance are not visible (small spec) and those approaching you will appear quickly. So if going the backup camera route, there is no value in it being on all the time while towing.

A backup camera is typically 150 degrees or greater, whereas an observation camera is 30 to 60 degrees viewing angle. The observation cameras are useless as back up cameras and are more difficult to find. That is probably why there are so few in use.

I opted for the 30 degree observation camera since my DW is ALWAYS the spotter when I back the TT. By placing our observation camera at approximately 5 feet off the ground, it provides an image equivalent to that of the rear view mirror without the TT.

Here is a thread on my observation camera: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29158
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Thanks guys! I had no idea the Furrion was wireless. That sounds nice to me!

Also, it looks like from what I’m reading the Ford camera system only turns on when you are going under 5 mph. Not exactly what I was thinking of there since I would like to see what’s up behind us more often than that... So the Furrion sounds even better (well, I guess I’m assuming it will stay on constantly, not just at slow speed). So it will just eventually have sit next to our TPMS monitor. Because I don’t think I can justify a camera system I won’t be able to use at higher speeds just to get the Ford TPMS (which I would also like!), I’m already trying to justify the darn BLIS “stuff” so I can have the better headlights...
The Ford TPMS doesn't monitor temperature, only pressure, so it's a "one legged chicken" from the start. You'd be better off just moving your current system to the new truck. Cheaper and gives you much more usability.... The only "nice thing" I have found with the Ford TPMS and trailer camera system is that it's all integrated into the center stack with no extra "boxes/screens" mounted on top of the dash or in the way when you're not towing....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:30 AM   #8
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Ford TPMS doesn't monitor temperature, only pressure, so it's a "one legged chicken" from the start. ....
Half true, see the Gay-Lussac Law, but who wants to solve physics problems in their head while driving.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:37 AM   #9
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
...well, I guess I’m assuming it will stay on constantly, not just at slow speed...
If your marker lights are on, the camera(s) are on. Of course, you can wire it anyway you want. But, not having to run wires was the basis of this thread.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
vampress_me

Well, Ford just struck out all over the place with this then for me.

Thanks for saving us money, everyone! (At least saving us money on this...)

Tags
ford